WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
I had never been a makeup junkie until I got married this February. The only things that I ever used during my college days were Biotique Kajal, Lakme Lip gloss in Strawberry (which I loathe now because it’s sticky. Yuk! ) and Maybelline watershine liquid diamonds in crystal clear (now discontinued 🙁 ) I was particular about my skin care but not makeup. I got so much makeup stuff as gifts that I totally fell in love with the beautiful hues of lipsticks, blushes, glosses, eye shadows and what not. Since I didn’t know what to do with the whole bunch of cosmetics, I decided to learn how to use them.
10 months back I didn’t know how to use foundation as well but just a few weeks back one of my friends wanted me to do her makeup for her wedding function. I did it as well. 🙂 Isn’t it an achievement guys?
I thought I would share all that I learnt from my mistakes and continued practice. Hell yeah! I used to practice doing makeup on my own face. I still do. lol! 😀
1. Foundation is the base of your makeup. If the base of your makeup looks cakey or blotchy, your entire makeup will would look bad. I say INVEST in a good foundation, I did. Matte foundations work best for oily skin and people with normal/ dry skin can look for dewy foundations.
2. The concept “this will look best on Indian skin tone” is crap. Starting from Jammu & Kashmir to Kanyakumari, you would be able to find at least 5-6 different skin tones of Indian women. There is no way you could put all of them in one “skin tone” category. Some colour that would look best on my skin might look pale on my best friend’s skin. Aren’t we both Indian women? Test and try what looks best on YOU, especially the foundations. I say, dare to try.
3. Kajal or bronzers can make wheatish complexion/ dusky complexioned women look darker. It is a goddamn myth. Has anyone heard of Bipasha Basu? Has anyone given a second look to her makeup done in Jism? Her eyes were done with blackest of black kohl pencils, charcoal eyeliners and smouldering grey eye shadows. Her cheeks had a light dusting of shimmering bronzer and lips were kept pale/ nude. Raise hands who thought Biapasha didn’t look HOT in Jism!
Indian women are obsessed with whitening when they should be more worried about anti ageing. Be proud of whatever skin colour you have and enhance your skin with hues that suit you the best. It’s just the matter of testing and trying.
4. Using cosmetics on your face don’t get you early wrinkles. It’s the lack of skincare that gets you wrinkles. If you sleep with makeup on or don’t take enough care of your skin, no beauty fairy would be able to save your skin from damaging. The least you could do is that you remove your makeup every day before going to bed, even when you are dead drunk. Just remove it and let your skin breathe. Read posts on anti ageing here and here.
5. Apply blush directly on your cheekbones without smiling. Throw that “smile and apply blush on your cheekbones” concept in trash bin. The logic is that when you smile your cheeks go up and when you stop smiling the cheeks fall down. So essentially, your blusher is not applied on the apples of your cheeks, it is applied somewhere below the apples. It looks drab!
Where the hell is the cheekbone?
Your cheekbone is the highest point on your face. When you touch your face right below the center of your eye, there is a high bone that you would feel on your cheek. That bone extends towards your ear. It is called the cheekbone . So put your blush on that bone and extend it towards your temple in an upward direction. Go high and up!
Check out the blush application in pics. It’s up on the cheekbone and lifted high towards the temple.
I have seen a lot of difference in my overall look when I apply blush this way and when I apply it on my apple of cheeks. Apply it and trust me, this application technique would give a younger and tighter look to your skin.
6. Do not buy a concealer that is two shades lighter than your skin tone. Buy the concealer that is the same shade as your foundation. Why? Because if you are not a makeup artist, you cannot make everything work for you. You need right products and tools to do things right.
Did I see women ready to shoot me now? 😛
In most cases, your under eyes would end up looking like Celina Jaitley’s. Eeewww!!
The idea is to brighten your under eyes and not lighten them. Well! if you are using a concealer that is two shades lighter than your foundation shade and it works for you, then be it. Just blend well so that your concealer and foundation look one. As it is there are no strict rules in makeup. 🙂
7. Every woman should have at least one eyelash curler. It makes such a hell lot of a difference to your eyes. Since months back, I didn’t know how to curl my lashes so I didn’t want to spend too much in buying a curler. I bought a Vega lash curler for Rs 60 and it’s working well for me. After this, I guess I am going to buy a better one. 🙂
8. Blending is the key to a good makeup. Your makeup should look as one. Each colour blended well into another. No one should ever be able to find out whether you have applied three shade of blushes, or four shaded of eye shadows. Only you should know what all you have applied on your face while the other person should be left to solve the mystery of your beautiful face. 🙂
9. Use a damp sponge to apply foundation or concealer. You would never look cakey or overdone. If you apply concealer with your fingertips and foundation with brush, that’s fine. Just move a damp sponge once you are done with the entire application. The damp sponge will take away the excess from your face leaving just the right amount behind. Just make sure that you wash your sponge after every usage.
So far, I have not been able to find these triangular sponges in India. However I discovered a pack of 4 sponges by Vega for Rs 45. I use them all the time. They are good but not the best.
10. If you are fond of doing makeup, get addicted to skincare. Eat healthy and take care of your skin. Makeup is about enhancing your features. A clean, acne free skin would give a new definition to your makeup. Smile and feel good about yourself. It makes a lot of difference. 🙂
I would be sharing more stuff with you as we go along. Especially, another blush technique. 🙂
Till then, good day. Do share your tips as well, I would be so glad to try them.
Love and Hugs,