With the spurt of online food ordering apps, life has become much easier for a lot of busy bees out there who find the whole cooking process a tedious and time-consuming exercise. However, we must point out right here that “eating out” or “ordering in” though seems like quite an easy way to get food on your plate, it’s totally unhealthy in the long run when done on a frequent basis. If weight loss and getting fit is on your mind, go slow on outside food and switch to homemade food. We cannot even begin to tell you how much change it can bring to your body. If you are someone who also works out religiously, eating healthy will get to your dream shape sooner than you think. So, in this post, we are going to tell you about 10 amazing ways to start eating healthy:
1. The first thing you should probably do is to change your cooking oil: Stop all trans-fat oils, seed oils. Switch to healthy oils for cooking, olive oil, canola oil, sesame oil, coconut oil are good for Indian cooking. Here’s the list of 7 Best Non-Cooking Oils for Indian cooking.
2. Include one protein source (fish/chicken for non-vegetarians and beans/nuts/legumes/dal for vegetarians), one vegetable, one whole grain, and one fiber rich food during each meal. A portion of fruit is also recommended. If you are eating a plate, fill one quarter of your plate with a healthy protein source and one-quarter of your plate with whole grain (like quinoa, brown rice), and fill half of your plate with vegetable. And by the way, potatoes don’t count as a vegetable when you are on a diet, sweet potatoes are a good alternative. Eat at least one fruit each day.
3. Completely replace white food items from your diet: From white refined sugar to white rice, to maida, weed out all white things except for of course vegetables like cauliflower and dairy. These white things add loads of calories with little to zero nutritional value to your body.
4. Eat from a bowl rather than a plate: There’s an amazing scientific study that states that your brain gets tricked and feels satisfied when you eat from a bowl than from a plate. You would feel full when you eat from a small bowl with the same quantity of food that you eat from a larger plate. Also, the bowl’s weight in hand will give you the feeling that you are consuming more food. So, dump that plate and pick that bowl.
5. Replace simple carbs with complex carbs: Switch to whole grains rather than refined grains. Whole grains provide nourishment to your body without adding a whole lot of empty calories. We do suggest replacing white bread with whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta. Quinoa and brown rice are good options to replace white rice. Here’s the list of Best Carbs to Eat for Weight Loss.
6. Include millets of all varieties in your diet: Millets are super healthy for your body because not only do they have complex carbs and protein content, they help with weight loss, reduce your risk of colon cancer, supply antioxidants, and help regulate high blood pressure and diabetes. Some options are kodo, finger millet, ragi, sorghum, foxtail, banyard, little millet, and pearl millet.
7. Meal prep for the entire week: Dedicate one hour during the weekend to plan out your meals for the entire week, Monday through Sunday. Take the help of Rati Beauty diet programs to zero in on healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack options so that instead of piling up calories, you would be able to shed some weight. Spend a few hours chopping up vegetables and storing them up in the fridge for use through the week. Also, keep a food journal and jot down every thing that you consume through the day and weed out anything that counts as junk.
8. Refrain from buying anything junk during grocery shopping: This is one of the most important things to remember – don’t shop for any junk food during grocery shopping (chips, processed meat, packaged food, colas, fried items, etc. all are counted as junk). Remember, what does not reach your pantry and fridge, would not show up on your plate.
9. Keep yourself hydrated: We cannot stress enough how essential water is to keep your whole system running smoothly and efficiently, and keep you healthy in the process. Eight glasses or more is often recommended. A tip from us – don’t gulp down water, sip slowly in a chewing motion. And sugary drinks and aerated beverages are not allowed.
10. Subscribe to Rati Beauty app: Your one-stop solution to lose weight in an extremely healthy way – all the diet programs in this app help you shed weight without compromising on your nutritional requirements. All details here.