Roti or chapati is a staple breakfast/lunch/dinner item across India and can you give up something as basic as roti to lose weight? Nope, there’s no need to! With portion control, you can eat every food in moderation (and no junk and processed food does not come under “every food”). Don’t we Indians love eating our rotis with vegetables, daal and lots of love! Some also prefer rice over wheat roti because it keeps them full for longer. Wheat roti is definitely healthy as it is made from whole grain and contains fiber, iron and protein, but there are other healthier alternatives to add; to boost your health level and to increase nutritional value of your diet, apart from boosting the weight loss process. Trying different alternatives not only pampers your tastebuds, it also your body extra boost of nutrition. So, here are different type of rotis other than wheat to boost weight loss.
1. Oats roti: Oats are considered as one of the healthiest grains on the planet. That’s quite an accomplishment though! Unlike wheat, oats are gluten-free; they are a great source of vital vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. According to research oats has numerous health benefits and it can aid in weight loss, regulate blood sugar levels, and reduces the risk of heart disease. You can prepare the dough at home by grinding oats and kneading the dough or you can buy packaged oats flour from a store to make roti out of it.
2. Bajra roti: Bajra is a highly nutritious flour that is the perfect substitute for wheat roti. Bajra roti is excellent for weight loss and diabetes patients, as it helps to regulate blood sugar level. Bajra aids in digestion, reduces cholesterol and prevents certain cancer. You can make bajra roti along with your vegetables/daal just like regular wheat roti. Note: Bajra roti is slightly hard than wheat roti but looking at all the health benefits; we all need to incorporate in our diet ASAP!
3. Jowar bhakri: This is yet another traditional staple food, quite popular in the villages of Maharashtra. Jowar is a power packed with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is high in protein, calcium, copper, zinc, phosphorous, potassium and cell-building vitamin B. As it contains fewer calories, it’s a perfect option for weight watchers. It is also considered one of the best flour for diabetic patients.
4. Ragi Dosa: Ragi is a rich source of calcium and strengthens the bones. It controls and regulates blood sugar levels and hence it is highly beneficial for diabetic patients. It is a high in iron. Ragi roti/ragi dosa is also recommended to lactating mothers in case of lack of milk production. You can add ragi dosa to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Ragi dosa can be enjoyed with peanuts or coconut chutney, thank me later!
5. Thalipeeth: Thalipeeth is another healthy alternative to wheat roti since it contains a variety of ingredients. Thalipeet also contains some amounts of wheat but that doesn’t reduce its health benefits. Thalipeeth contains a mixture of ingredients like roasted tapioca, rajgira, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, wheat and rice. You can make dough out of thalipeeth flour just like regular wheat flour, but it will be hard in texture, (because health and hot body comes at a price). You can make small discs out of it and serve with vegetables and pickle.
6. Kuttu: Looking for a gluten-free option? Look no further than buckwheat or kuttu ka atta. This grain can be considered as a superfood because it has lots of nutrients including protein, fiber, and complex carbs that help boost weight loss. It also stabilizes blood sugar levels.
7. Multigrain: As the name suggests, it uses a variety of grains such as oats, soy, chickpeas, barnyard millet, foxtail millet, kodo, finger millet, jowar, etc. brings together the high nutrient profile from each grain, and is hugely beneficial for someone not only trying to lose weight, but also to get healthier.
8. Sattu: We often underestimate the importance of sattu, which can be termed as the cheapest source of plant-based protein. With loads of vitamins, minerals, potassium, magnesium, and of course protein, it boosts metabolism and aids in the fat-burning process.
9. Almond Roti: Though a little expensive compared to the atta options mentioned above, when combined with flaxseed, psyllium husk, it is a considered to be a weight-loss friendly flour option.
10. Coconut Rotis: Rich in monosaturated fatty acids, coconut is believed to aid the fat-burning process, so why not make rotis out of them by combining the flour with ingredients such as flaxseed and pysllium husk.
You can find diets with these healthy roti alternatives on the Rati Beauty app where you can eat your way to weight loss without compromising on nutrition or taste. Hope you try these healthy roti alternatives; till then eat healthy, stay fit!
32 Fiber Rich Food Items for Weight Loss
21 Tricks to Boost your Metabolism