This post is third and final in the series of Cosmetic surgery posts. The first two posts are
- 8 Bollywood Actresses who have Undergone Plastic Surgeries
- Top 10 Bollywood and Hollywood Plastic Surgery Disasters
COFFEE-TIME PROCEDURES/ Cosmetic Surgery
These cosmetic surgeries are called such because they are usually performed under local anesthetic and these procedures take about 30 minutes and normal activities can be resumed straight after the procedure. One might walk into the doctor’s clinic without a dimple and within 30 to 40 minutes, you will walk out with dents on the cheeks and that too with minimal or no swelling, and the postoperative care is just as simple and uncomplicated as the procedure.
1. Surgery for creating dents in your cheeks.
2. Mole removal surgery.
Mole removal, cleft chin creation, treatment of varicose veins, red spots, and spider veins, Botox, dermal filling for thin lips, dermabrasion all come under coffee-time procedures.
KINDS OF COSMETIC SURGERY: FROM HEAD TO TOE
• Brow lift (forehead lift)
• Cheek Augmentation
• Cheek fat removal
• Endoscopic facial surgery
• Eyelid ptosis surgery
• Eyelid surgery -blepharoplasty
• Eyelid tightening-canthoplasty
• Facial implants – Cheek, chin, jaw, midface and tear trough
• Lip augmentation
• Lip lift
• Lip reduction
• Midface lift
• Neck lift
• Neck muscle repair
• Nose surgery -rhinoplasty
• Revision rhinoplasty
• Breast augmentation
• Breast lift/mastopexy
• Breast reduction
• Breast implant revision
• Nipple and/or areola reduction
• Nipple inversion repair
• Tummy tuck/abdominoplasty
• Belly button surgery
• Body implants – Chest, pec, calf, buttock:
• Arm lift
• thigh lift
• buttock lift:
• Female genital surgeryw
• Penile enhancement
• Brown spots
• Fat deposits: Mesotherapy and liposuction
• Fat loss
• Thin lips: Fat transfer and dermal fillers
• Flushing & rosacea
• Hair growth & ingrown hairs
• Hair loss
• Red spots & spider veins
• Scars, including acne scars
• Stretch marks, vitiligo & white spots
• Sweating: Botox and skincare
• Tattoos: Laser tattoo removal
• Thin skin & texture changes
• Under eye darkness
• Varicose veins
Male Plastic Surgery
• Breast reduction-gynecomastia
• Calf and pectoral implants
• Facial implants: Jaw, chin and cheek implants
• Facial surgery
• Hair replacement
• Hair removal
- Ceramic facets – veneers.
- Dental crowns and bridges.
- Dental implants.
- Teeth whitening.
- Tooth gems – jewelry.
WHAT INVASIVE COSMETIC SURGERY IS ALL ABOUT:
These surgeries have associated complications such as excessive bleeding and carry the risks associated with all major surgical procedures. These procedures are performed under general anesthetic and you’ll need to stay in the hospital for one or two nights afterwards. There can be swelling and inflammation for a few weeks and there is also a risk for contracting infection.
1. Face lift (rhytidectomy): This is a surgery which lifts and tightens the skin and muscles to give your face a smoother and more youthful appearance. This operation takes several hours and is done under anesthesia. The surgeon will usually make cuts in the hairline, remove excess skin and tissue and tighten the facial muscles.
2. Eye bag surgery.
3. Eyelid lift – blepharoplasty. It is an operation to remove excess skin from around the eyes. This reduces the bags under your eyes and the sags from your eyelids. It consists of several cuts made in the natural lines around the eyes.
4. Brow lift. This is a type of cosmetic surgery that is done to give a more youthful appearance. You might consider this surgery if you have deep ‘worry lines’ across your forehead. Cuts are made around your hairline so that your skin can be tightened.
5. Ear repair or otoplasty. This is surgery which ‘pins back’ or reduces the size of your ears. You might consider otoplasty if you think your ears stick out too much or if your ear folds have not developed properly. In this surgery, cuts are made in your ears and the ear cartilage is reshaped. As an exception, otoplasty can be done on kids as young as four years old.
6. Lip augmentation.
Lip augmentation is done to make thin lips fuller and/or to give a more youthful look to the lips by making them pouty. Lip enlargemnt or lip plumping surgery basically consists of injections and grafting. Using small needles, the lip is filled with a soft spongy substance (most often collagen) that lends a plumper and fuller look.
NONINVASIVE COSMETIC PROCEDURES:
1. Botulinum Toxin. Botulinum Toxin A is a purified protein made from the botulism bacteria. It is the most poisonous naturally occurring substance in the world. However, in minute quantities, it is used to treat painful muscles. It is used in cosmetic treatment because it decreases muscle activity. It’s used to improve the appearance of frown lines, wrinkles, to make the face taut, and to treat severe underarm sweating. Use of Botulinum Toxin is a non-surgical process. Each treatment will take about 10 minutes. You may see a marked improvement in the frown lines between your brows within days. Improvement may continue for as long as a month, and could last up to 4 months. You should not use Botulinum Toxin if you have an infection in or around the area to be treated and if your skin is hypersensitive it should be avoided. Patients with neuromuscular disorders such as ALS, myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome may be at increased risk of serious side effects.
2. Restylane (fillers). Restylane is one of the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatments today. Restylane is best described as a soft tissue filler. Anti-ageing creams may smooth the surface of the skin but facial lines occur at a much deeper level. Restylane delivers help in the dermis where it is needed to counter the effects of ageing.
Restylane revitalises your looks naturally by simple injections restoring your skin’s youthful volume to give a softer and fresher look. Restylane is a pure crystal clear hyaluronic acid (HA) gel which when injected into the skin promotes skin elasticity and replenishes our own native HA, which plays a vital part in skin hydration and which we lose through ageing. Restylane softens the appearance of tell tale ageing lines, wrinkles, and creates fuller, more sensuous lips. It can also be used in facial sculpting to enhance high cheek bones or replace lost fatty tissue to restore plump cheeks to give the face a more defined shape. Treatment benefits can be seen instantly and are long lasting, around a year. Restylane helps people today to hold back the years and refresh their looks subtly and naturally without looking “done”. It provides a natural enhancement.
COSMETIC SURGERY TO AID DRASTIC WEIGHT REDUCTION:
1. Gastric Band. The gastric band is an inflatable silicone prosthetic device used for obese patients to help them to lose weight. Surgery is performed to restrict the size of a person’s stomach by attaching an adjustable band around the top part of the stomach, so that the patient is only able to eat small portions of food. As the patient’s calorie intake is greatly reduced, they lose weight. The band is permanent. The operation is carried out under general anesthetic using a procedure called a laproscopy (keyhole surgery). An adjustable band is inserted and the band is adjustable, so can be tightened or loosened for optimum effectiveness and if necessary, the procedure is reversible. Adjustment is done by passing a fine needle through the skin into the access port and either drawing out or adding in the saline. This is carried out without anesthetic and only takes a couple of minutes. A gastric band is typically used for obese patients with body mass index of over 40. Also, the doctors would want you to make an effort to lose weight with diet and exercise before agreeing upon doing the surgery. Only if they are convinced that only surgery can help you, do they nod in agreement.
2. Gastric Bypass – bariatric surgery. The Roux en-Y gastric bypass(RGP) is a surgical procedure, which reduces the size of your stomach. This means that you can’t eat as much and should therefore lose lots of weight. Surgery is usually done by laparoscopy. This only requires several small cuts under a general anesthetic, and you would normally leave hospital within 24 hours and be back at work in 1 – 2 weeks. This surgery is also reserved for obese patients, who have failed to lose weight with conservative surgery.
3. Liposuction. Liposuction removes pockets of fat from troublesome areas such as the thighs, hips, abdomen, and upper arms. liposuction removes pockets of fat from troublesome areas such as the thighs, hips, abdomen, and upper arms.
COSMETIC DENTAL SURGERIES:
1. Cosmetic veneers. A veneer is a thin layer of porcelain or other ‘composite’ material, which fits over the front of each tooth giving an even and white appearance. Veneers can be placed over one or over many teeth. It takes at least two visits to your dentist. Veneers can last for many years, but they are prone to damage – i.e. cracking and chipping – just like your real teeth. You and your dentist can discuss ways to prolong the life of your veneers.
2. Teeth Whitening. This is a technique, which whitens your teeth by removing the effect of any staining or yellowing. One or more sessions with your dentist of up to an hour each time. Your gums are protected whilst your teeth are painted with a bleaching agent. Sometimes a laser is used to enhance the effect.
3. Invisalign. It is an invisible way to straighten your teeth using a series of clear, virtually invisible custom-moulded aligners. The course of treatment involves changing aligners every two weeks until your teeth have straightened to the final position your dentist has prescribed. Unlike metal braces, these clear aligners can be removed while you eat and brush your teeth as usual. As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move – little by little, week by week. Total treatment time is about 1 to 1-1/2 years. The aligners are made through a combination of your dentist’s expertise and 3-D computer imaging technology.
4. Implants. An implant is a device used to enable the reconstruction of a missing tooth with a fixed crown or bridge. It is normally made out of pure titanium and takes the place of the patients missing natural tooth root. An implant requires surgical placement into the jawbone ormally under local anesthetic. The implant needs time to fuse to the bone and in many cases it needs to be buried under the gum before exposing it and connecting to the tooth.
COST OF COSMETIC SURGERIES:
COST OF COSMETIC SURGERIES:
|Procedure||Cost in USD||Cost in Indian Rupee (INR)|
|Fat Injection/grafting||880 per 5ml||38,500 per5ml|
|Contour Thread Lift||220 per thread||12,000 per thread|
|Double Chin Liposuction||990||48,000|
|Cheek or Chin Implants||1,750||71,500|
|Facial Laser Resurfacing||2,200||88,000|
With Laser or Dermarollers
|330 per session||11,000|
|BOTOX & FILLERS|
|Botox Rejuvenation||11 per unit||465 per unit|
|Filler Injections||550 per ml||27500 per ml|
|Upper Eye lids||1,200||49500|
|Rhinoplasty or Nose job||2,000||82,500|
|Nasal septum corrections||1,000||45,000|
|Prominent Ear Reshaping||1,650||71,500|
|Split ear Lobe repair||220||8,800|
|Liposuction both arms||1,100||44,000|
|LASER HAIR REMOVAL|
|Facial hair||165 per session||6,600|
|Chest or back||220 per session||8,800|
|Total body||400 per session||16,500|
|Male Breast/ Gynecomastia||1,540||60,500|
|Breast reconstruction with flap||2,200||88,000|
Combined with Liposuction – Mini
Combined with Liposuction – Full with umbilical transfer
|Liposuction- arms, waist, hips,
thighs, legs, flanks etc.
|1000 per area||44,000 per area|
|BODY UPLIFT AFTER WEIGHT LOSS|
Cosmetic surgery is surely a gamble. Everything needs to be double checked before going under the knife. Most of the times, the effects are not reversible and it might scar you for life, both physically and emotionally. Even spending obscene amounts to rectify the botch-up would be fruitless. So, if you have good physical and emotional health, have reasonable expectations, and if you are ready to take the outcome in your stride, then cosmetic surgery would work for you. Please do not undergo cosmetic surgery unless it is an absolute necessity, anyways, you don’t want to end up looking like Koena Mitra, do you?
Thank you , Jomol for bringing up such detailed write up on cosmetic surgery for all f us. Learnt a lot from these. :)- Rati