Is weight loss on your mind lately? If so, then this post is definitely for you. When we talk about weight loss, we think about hitting the gym first and assume working out for 1 hour and then practicing food deprivation all through the day will help us to slim down. But to reveal the truth to you, these strategies won’t work at all! Food deprivation and placing too much importance on exercise are two major reasons why people fail to lose weight. Apart from these, there are a whole lot of factors that act as roadblocks and prevent weight loss from happening. So, we thought to jot down some common reasons why people fail to lose weight so that you can identify and weed them out to successfully lose weight, and reach your fitness goals fast.
1. Making Unrealistic Plans: It is the first and foremost reason why you are not able to lose weight even after a long span of hard work. Don’t set yourself unrealistic goals, hoping to lose 15 kg in a month. Set small milestones since they are more achievable, and once you reach them, you will be motivated to work harder because once you see results, it will become an obsession. When you target to drop 3 kg per month and it happens, you will be motivated to lose more weight. If you plan to lose 15 kg and you lose just 3 kg, it will probably push you back and make it difficult for you to move ahead from that point.
2. Emotional Eating: Emotional eating is a situation where one eats to feel good and pleasant, to cope up with trauma, to relieve stress, rather than to satisfy hunger. The food that emotional eaters choose are usually high-fat, high sugar, calorie-rich food full of transfat and other toxic ingredients, extremely unhealthy. Every time you are having an emotional upheaval, do not turn to food for comfort. Seek other forms of stress busting techniques, meditation is a great option to try. Read more about “How To Conquer Emotional Eating with Effective Tricks” in this post here.
3. Being impatient: You didn’t gain weight overnight and that’s why, you wouldn’t lose weight overnight, or in a week, even in a month. Be consistent with diet and exercise, and you will see results soon. Most of us join gym expecting to drop weight within a week and when that does not happen, we discontinue with workouts. Ditto with dieting – when you don’t see results within a week, we often fall back to old eating habits. Do remember this – there are no shortcuts to weight loss, it’s a process which requires patience and hard work.
4. Giving Too Much Importance to Exercise: Regular exercise can boost weight loss efforts, but on its own, it does not lead to significant drop in weight. As we have always maintained, weight loss is all about 80% diet and 20% exercise, and for noteworthy shedding of weight, you got to give dieting more importance.
5. Negative Body Image: Those perfect hourglass figures that show up on the Instagram feed or “magazine spreads” lead us to believe that our bodies are not perfect and we are constantly working towards reaching unrealistic goals. Every body type is different and not everyone is supposed to look a certain way. The goal should be to look and feel healthy, not like photoshopped images.
6. Crash Dieting: Do not force yourself to stay away from food because doing this can adversely affect your health. A weight loss diet should not be based on food deprivation and extreme calorie cutting. Check out Rati Beauty weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app (both on playstore and app store) that helps you lose weight by encouraging you to eat the right kind of food in the right quantity, so that you continue to lose weight at a steady pace.
7. Chronic Stress: It’s one of the major reasons why your weight loss efforts are failing because chronic stress not only prevents weight loss, it encourages weight gain, particularly belly fat. Studies have found a direct link between stress and weight gain. You can have literally nothing on your plate but if are experiencing too much stress, shedding extra fat layers can become quite difficult. Apart from lowering metabolism, the stress hormone “cortisol” increases appetite, cravings, and also directs the body to store fat around the belly region.
8. A Gut that is not Robust: Our gut is called as the “second brain” of the body because there are 100 million neurons in our gut and they are linked directly to the brain, affecting appetite, fat-burning hormones, and mental health as well. Therefore, maintaining a healthy gut is of supreme importance because an unhealthy gut can lower immunity, increase weight, cause hormonal imbalances, affect mental health, cause endocrine and metabolic disorders. When the good bacterial flora is disrupted with the invasion of bad bacteria, it creates an imbalance and nutrients and vitamins are not efficiently extracted from the food, leading to vitamin deficiencies. This disruption in the digestive system is called as “dysbiosis,” which is an imbalance microbial ecosystem in the intestine. This dysbiosis is linked to weight gain and obesity. Read about 15 Ways to Improve Gut Health in this post here.
9. No Change in Workout Routine: If you are willing to get the better results in your desired duration, then variation in exercise is your key. The body adapts to routine workouts and burns fewer calories when you repeat them. Fitness experts also recommend changing workout routines every 2–4 weeks to see progressive fat burning.
10. Depending on Pills and Fat Burners: The majority of fat burners out there do not work, they just make you lose water weight and not fat loss. Totally avoid them.
11. One Hour of Workout and Sedentary Lifestyle for Rest of the Day: No matter how much time you spend during your morning workout, your inactivity throughout the entire day may not be ideal for faster drop in pounds on the scale. Keep yourself engaged in various activities and be on your feet for the majority of the day and see the extra fat melt off.
12. Obesogens in your Environment: Obesogens are all around us, particularly within the four walls of our homes, and they prevent weight loss by hindering with hormonal functions needed in the fat-burning process, and encourage body to store fat, leading to weight gain. These obesogens are chemicals that interfere with the normal functioning of hormones that are responsible for regulating mechanism and maintaining optimum weight and damage the body’s natural weight-control mechanisms and trigger creation of new fat cells as well as increase the storage capacity of existing fat cells. If you haven’t seen any progress in weight loss despite exercising and sticking to dieting routine strictly, blame it all on obesogens in your environment. In this post, we go into detail about 7 common obesogens in your home that trigger weight gain so that you can weed them out to lose weight.
Apart from the above-mentioned reasons, if you have any underlying medical condition like diabetes or blood pressure, then you need to seek a proper guidance from your doctor. Otherwise, following a weight loss diet, such as on Rati Beauty app and regular physical activity, will get you faster to your goal weight and dream body.