Hi Rati and IMBB gang,
I have been a member of imbb for long and love it dearly. I am too shy to write any post from my side but there is a very important topic that I wanted to talk about and share with all.
My parents and I, all are doctors, but when my mother recently had to have surgery and face menopause, I realized that there is so much we did’t know about it, and these simple tricks can really help all women cope with it.
1. If you are undergoing a surgery to take out your uterus (hysterectomy), and it’s not an emergency, winters are a better option. That will help you with the hot flushes.
2. After you wake up in the morning, don’t start your day with a jump start like you used to. Take a few deep breaths and relax yourself, listen to a song may be, anything that helps to start your day at your own terms. It will help with the depression like phase women go through. You can repeat it just before sleeping too.
3. If possible take some time out to go for a walk (even 15 min will do). Fresh air leads to production of endorphins or ‘happy hormones’ in one’s body.
4. Try to eat soya products; not every one likes to have hormonal replacement but soya has a lot of natural estrogen that will help you a lot! (my mother got a lot of benefit from this)
5. Body aches and pains become frequent in some people. Mostly its not a separate disease, it’s just that your body is still coping with the change and needs more rest. If you have a hectic schedule, it’s still ok; even a 5 min stretch on your chair, a small nap, even a little bit of time out from the usual chaos will improve this.
6. Try to wear loose clothes, tight ones will make you feel more uncomfortable with hot flushes. Same goes for synthetic clothes.
7. And last but not the least- this I didn’t find in any of the books but as a daughter I felt it made a lot of changes for the better for my mom- compliment her. Anything, her saree, her style, her energy. This is a difficult time for her and she starts feeling ‘older’ it really gives her a reason to feel young and beautiful.
Hope it helps someone in some way.
Home Remedies for Menstruation Problems
Menses: Myths and Facts About Periods
Hormone Replacement Therapy
Tender Breasts: Causes and Cures of Breast Tenderness
Osteoporosis- Symptoms, Causes and Management
How to Treat Painful Intercourse