Having perfectly-groomed eyebrows can give the effect of facelift! Eyebrows are “the” most important feature for a majority of women. Well-defined and beautifully-shaped eyebrows can do a lot to boost up your confidence. Eyebrows can frame your face and shape. Do you know bushy and structured eyebrows can make you look years younger. Also, brows can make celebrities out of normal people, don’t trust us, look at Cara Delevingne. Thin, thick, arched, S-shaped, angled – you should explore all types of eyebrow shapes and sizes and stick to that one shape that suits you the best. Also, both your brows need not look perfectly same – someone rightly said, “brows are sister, not twins.” Do not shape them exactly the same, a little variation is perfectly okay. Threading is the most common and probably the only method to shape and define brows for most of us, but eyebrow waxing is soon catching up. Eyebrow waxing is comparatively less painful than threading and that’s why more and more women are opting for waxing their brows. The one thing that would never go out of fashion, it’s “eyebrowsonfleek!.”
What is Eyebrow Waxing?
Eyebrow waxing is a quick way to shape and define brows. With regular waxing, your brow hair will grow back softer. It’s a good option for women who find threading and tweezing painful.
What Happens During Eyebrow Waxing?
When you visit the salon, the beautician would cleanse the area around eyebrows with a gentle cleanser. She would then dust powder to clear out the moisture. Most salons use wax beans that hard up after drying and the can rip it off easily. Your beautician would decide where to apply the wax to pull off and shape hair. She would apply the wax in tiny areas with q tips so that it’s easy for her to shape brows that wax. Certain other salons apply warm wax with a spatula to stray hair and then apply a wax strip over the wax. With gentle pressure, the beautician will pull the wax strip in the opposite direction of hair growth. All stray hair will come off on the wax strip. The best thing is that waxing pulls out hair from the root, so the skin would feel smooth and soft to touch. After shaping your brows, she would trim hair if it’s needed. After shaping the brows, the beautician would again cleanse the area around the brows with a gentle cleanser and applying a soothing cream. If there is a bit of redness, a soothing cream would help tackle that.
Is It Better To Get Your Eyebrows Threaded or Waxed?
It’s entirely a personal preference. Hair will grow back in two weeks with threading while with waxing brows, it remains tidy for around 6 weeks. Waxing is a good option for people who have a low threshold to pain. Also, waxing is comparatively less painful than threading. When you get your brows threaded, there’s just the thread involved. On the other hand, waxing needs wax beans or hard wax, wax strips, etc. If the wax is too hot or if the beautician is not experienced enough, you can even get burn.
How Often Should You Get Your Brows Waxed?
Your brows wouldn’t go out of shape for 6 to 8 weeks.
Do Eyebrows Grow Back After Waxing?
Yes, eyebrows do go back after waxing, but the growth rate will be slower than when you thread your brows.
25 Tips for Eyebrow Waxing:
1. Eyebrow waxing should ideally be done by expert hands. Choose a reputed salon and Do not attempt “eyebrow waxing at home.” 😛
2. Avoid touching your brows right after waxing. Since pores and hair follicles would be open after waxing, touching brows often can lead to infection and pimples.
3. Stop using anti-acne ointments and other alpha hydroxy acid-containing creams like salicylic acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid, one day before your waxing session. AHAs make your skin sensitive, so it’s better to be safe than be sorry.
4. Do not apply makeup to the waxed area because makeup can clog open follicles and lead to acne.
5. Do not expose skin to direct sunlight right after waxing.
6. Ask your beautician to clean the eyebrow area with a pre-wax cleanser.
7. Apply wax evenly, in the direction of hair growth.
8. After you apply the wax strip on top of the wax, pull it in the opposite direction of hair growth in a swift motion.
9. Grow out your hair if you have recently threaded them out.
10. If you are doing waxing all by yourself, you will need these things – wax beads/hard wax, tweezers, wax strips, q tips, an ice cream or popsicle stick, a brow brush, a pair of scissors.
11. Splash your face with warm water to open up your hair follicles so that the whole process will be less painful.
12. Define the shape you want by using a brow pencil. Outline and mark the brow shape you desire and apply wax within that shape.
13. When you are applying wax on your skin, test for the temperature, it should be warm enough and not hot. The area around eyebrows is extremely sensitive and if the wax is hot, it can leave you with burns.
14. When you are pulling the wax strip off, hold the area taut and tight to avoid pain.
15. It’s perfectly okay if your brows have not come in ditto shape, brows are supposed to be sisters and not twins, remember?
16. Do not exfoliate or scrub the area around your eyebrows.
17. Do not take very hot shower right after waxing.
18. Do not apply perfumed skin care to the brow area for 24 hours, those might irritate your skin.
19. If you have acne-prone skin, apply a product with tea tree oil to prevent skin infection.
25. Apply a soothing lotion to the area around the brows, preferably with aloe vera or chamomile in it, but the best thing to apply right after eyebrow waxing is pure aloe vera gel. Keep it the fridge for 10 minutes till the gel cools down and apply it directly on to the skin to prevent any rashes and irritation from developing.