Dieticians, nutritionists, and weight loss experts at Rati Beauty unanimously agree that white sugar is the #1 roadblock that can totally stall the weight loss journey and at the same time detrimental to overall health as well. Nutritionally deficient and high in calories, white sugar is completely non-essential to the functioning of body. However, there are certain food items that are actually worse than white sugar but do not get much of a bad rap, and at times, even get glorified as “healthy foods.” In this post, we list down 14 Foods that are Worse For Weight Loss Than White Sugar.
1. Refined Carbs: Food stuff made from refined flour, white bread, white rice, biscuits, cookies, cakes, pastries, etc., raise blood sugar sharply, triggering insulin spikes, and triggering storage of fat into adipose cells, leading to weight gain.
2. Margarine: A large population of people still believe that margarine is a healthy choice compared to plain butter because the former is thought to have less fat content. But the truth is that margarine is whipped up from vegetable oils with a good amount of transfat and that’s where the problem starts – a lot of countries have started to ban artificial transfat since it has been linked to obesity and cardiovsacular diseases.
3. Mayonnaise: It is high in calories and made mostly of oils, and also leads to weight gain.
4. Baked Potato Chips: Baked chips usually have higher levels of a compound called “acrylamide” that can potentially cause nerve damage and other health risks.
5. French Fries: High on taste and calories, it’s easy to overeat this extremely delicious snack.
6. Packaged Fruit Juices: Fresh fruit juices are not the same as whole fresh fruit, and when they come packaged with artificial flavour, color, and preservatives – they do no good to the body. Eat your fruits raw, whole, to get the goodness of fiber and minerals which get lost with the juicing process.
7. Artificial sweeteners: If you have switched from white sugar to artificial sweeteners in your regular coffee/tea, we would like to point out that such sweeteners can make you more hungry and you can actually gain weight with regular use.
8. Refined and Hydrogenated Oils: High in calories, such oils also raise bad cholesterol in the body, and produce toxic byproducts during digestion. Here’s a list of Healthy Cooking Oils that you can switch to for cooking.
9. Energy Drinks: These have empty calories and high sugar content, leading to weight gain.
10. Transfat: It’s commonly found in fried food, packaged baked items, and even margarine. There’s enough data and studies to support the fact that regular consumption of transfat-containing food can lead to development of metabolic syndrome, obesity, and certain type of cancers like breast and colon cancer.
11. Nitrites: Processed meat may contain nitrates and nitrites are potential carcinogenic compounds.
12. High fructose corn syrup: Granola bars that many people consider healthy are probably making you gain weight because of its high fructose corn syrup content, which cause sharp insulin spikes, and trigger storage of fat in the body.
13. Food Colors: Food dyes and colors are artificial chemicals added to processed food to make them more appealing; however, not all food colors are safe. In fact, continuous use of food dyes can put you at a risk of developing certain health disorders, so minimize their use as much as possible.
14. Processed Meat: Loaded with saturated oils, unhealthy fats, sugar, salt, and extremely high in calories, they also lose their nutrient profile during processing. Not all recommended if you are trying to lose weight.
So, if you want to get rid of all unhealthy food sources from your diet in order to get healthy and lose weight, do reduce the consumption of these food items listed above.
25 Most Complicated Weight Loss Questions Answered in Just One Sentence
7 Low-Fat Cooking Oils for Indian Cooking