Chapatti or roti is a staple in Indian kitchen and most of us love to eat it almost every day! It is served with vegetables, daal and lots of love! Some also prefer rice over wheat roti. Wheat roti is definitely healthy as it is made from whole grain and contains fiber, iron and protein, but there are other healthier alternatives to add; to boost your health level and to increase nutritional value of your diet. Trying different alternatives not only pampers your taste buds but improves your overall health and fitness.
1. Oats roti: Oats are considered as one of the healthiest grains on the planet. That’s quite an accomplishment though! Unlike wheat, oats are gluten-free; they are a great source of vital vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. According to research oats has numerous health benefits and it can aid in weight loss, regulate blood sugar levels, and reduces the risk of heart disease. You can prepare the dough at home by grinding oats and kneading the dough or you can buy packaged oats flour from a store to make roti out of it.
2. Bajra roti: Bajra is a highly nutritious flour that is the perfect substitute for wheat roti. Bajra roti is excellent for weight loss and diabetes patients, as it helps to regulate blood sugar level. Bajra aids in digestion, reduces cholesterol and prevents certain cancer. You can make bajra roti along with your vegetables/daal just like regular wheat roti. Note: Bajra roti is slightly hard than wheat roti but looking at all the health benefits; we all need to incorporate in our diet ASAP!
3. Jowar bhakri: This is yet another traditional staple food, quite popular in the villages of Maharashtra. Jowar is a power packed with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is high in protein, calcium, copper, zinc, phosphorous, potassium and cell-building vitamin B. As it contains fewer calories, it’s a perfect option for weight watchers. It is also considered one of the best flour for diabetic patients.
4. Ragi Dosa: Ragi is a rich source of calcium and strengthens the bones. It controls and regulates blood sugar levels and hence it is highly beneficial for diabetic patients. It is a high in iron. Ragi roti/ragi dosa is also recommended to lactating mothers in case of lack of milk production. You can add ragi dosa to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Ragi dosa can be enjoyed with peanuts or coconut chutney, thank me later!
5. Thalipeeth: Thalipeeth is another healthy alternative to wheat roti since it contains a variety of ingredients. Thalipeet also contains some amounts of wheat but that doesn’t reduce its health benefits. Thalipeeth contains a mixture of ingredients like roasted tapioca, rajgira, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, wheat and rice. You can make dough out of thalipeeth flour just like regular wheat flour, but it will be hard in texture, (because health and hot body comes at a price). You can make small discs out of it and serve with vegetables and pickle.
Hope you try these healthy roti alternatives; till then eat healthy, stay fit!