“Kindness is loaning someone your strength instead of reminding them of their weakness.” This quote would apply well if you want to sincerely help someone near and dear to you struggling with weight loss and health problems related to it. Instead of being blunt and point blank to that person about their weight issues, here are 12 Ways to Secretly Help Someone Lose Weight.
1. Join them for Daily Walks: Taking your friend along on a daily walk is a good way to kickstart his/her weight loss journey. Brisk walking for 40 minutes to 1 hour can help burn calories, normalize blood pressure levels, boost immune system, and keep lifestyle diseases at bay. So, walking daily is not only great for your friend/relative/spouse who needs to lose weight, it’s amazing for your health too.
2. Gift them Rati Beauty weight loss program by downloading and subscribing to the Rati Beauty app: All the diet programs and exercise routines on Rati Beauty app help people of all ages to lose weight the healthy way, without compromising on health and nutrition. The best thing is that these routines are sustainable and there’s no chance that someone would bounce back to their earlier weight.
3. Gift them Fruits and Veggies: Instead of gifting them chocolates, candies, cakes which are all high in sugar and can lead to further weight gain, gift that special someone fruits and veggies so that they can lose weight the healthy way, and get the right amount of nutrition.
4. Recognize and Celebrate Mini Goals: It’s a reality that other people fail to notice any visible change in someone unless a considerable amount of kilos have been lost. Recognize and celebrate your friend’s mini achievements with regards to weight loss, even if it’s a 2-kg drop because any kind of encouragement would motivate the person to keep on the track to lose weight.
5. Discourage Fat Shaming: Body shaming, particularly fat shaming, can affect people in a negative way, damage their confidence, and push them towards eating disorders (emotional eating, binge eating), which leads to further weight gain. Body shaming is to humiliate someone because of their body type, passing snide comments about their clothes and bodies. Refrain from fat shaming and sharply discourage such behavior from other people.
6. Eat Healthy food with them: Rather than celebrating achievements with unhealthy fast food or junk food, make it a habit to celebrate with healthy food (we are talking about low-calorie, nutrient dense, whole foods without any refined carbs, also low in sugar and unhealthy fats).
7. Celebrate Achievements with an Activity that Does not Revolve Around Food: Most of us tend to celebrate small and big achievements with food, but explore non-food related activities like playing board games, attending movies and spa sessions together. Also, carry along healthy snacks wherever you go – here’s a list of healthy snacks that you can keep weight in check.
8. Join them in the diet and exercise program: Yes, subscribe to the Rati Beauty weight loss program yourself and follow the same diet as your friend to lose weight and get in shape together.
9. Encourage them to drink more water and about the importance of Water Preloading: Encourage your friend to drink at least 8 glasses of water each day, the more the better. Water helps to suppress appetite, detoxifies body, and also boosts metabolism. Talk to your friend about water preloading because it’s a healthy and almost effortless way to aid weight loss. In this strategy, experts recommend to consume 500 ml of plain water half an hour before each meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Such a quantity of water before the meal will significantly stretch your tummy and as a result, there would be lesser release of the hunger hormone “ghrelin.” This means you would feel full with less food and fewer calorie intake. It is an effective strategy to tackle overeating. It’s a fact that most of us do not consume enough water through the day, and most of the times, we are just thirsty and not really hungry. Frequent hunger pangs are most probably caused due to dehydration and if you can provide your body with more H2O, you can lose weight rather effectively. However, if a person suffers from heart or kidney ailment, water preloading should not be practiced without the approval of the doctor because it lead to fluid retention and shortness of breath in such individuals.
10. Make your Friend Addicted to Green Tea: It’s one of the healthiest beverages in the world, particularly so for someone who is trying to lose weight. Replace his/her regular evening chai with a glass of green tea which is loaded with antioxidants and helps burn more calories. A great way to boost weight loss efforts is to sip up two to three cups of green tea in a day.
11. Help them clear out kitchen and pantry: Help your friend clear her kitchen/fridge/pantry of processed, junk, and packaged food with these toxic ingredients (Avoid These Toxic Ingredients when Shopping for Groceries). The theory of “out of sight, out of mind” clearly works here. Take your friend along for grocery shopping at the supermarket and help her/him keep away food items that are terrible for weight loss (Foods from the Supermarket that are Terrible for Weight Loss).
12. Encourage them to sleep early: Getting good quality sleep during the night can disturb the sleep pattern leading to slow metabolism, increase in hunger hormone (ghrelin), decrease in fullness hormone (leptin), increased cortisol level leading to fat storage, and decreased insulin sensitivity. Encourage your friend to follow a strict sleep schedule, avoid using phone late into the night, and finish your last meal before 7 pm to get better sleep.
Can you think of some other unique ways to help your friend secretly to lose weight, if yes, please mention them in the comments below 🙂