When it comes to weight loss, there’s just not one way that will help shed all that extra weight – correct dieting practice, lifestyle changes, exercise and a whole lot of small little things would help you steer to your goal weight. Lack of one or more may actually slow or stall your progress. Foods that boost metabolism, NEAT activities, adequate sleep, lowered stress levels, probiotics are all examples of factors that “help” with the whole weight loss process. But have you heard about water preloading? It’s actually a weight loss strategy that is research backed and studies have found that it does aid in shedding weight. In this post, we are going to throw some light on water preloading and how to put it to use to drop pounds. However, do remember that without a healthy diet and physical activity, it’s not possible for anyone to lose weight.
What is Preloading?
Water preloading is a healthy and almost effortless way to aid weight loss. In this strategy, experts recommend to consume 500 ml of plain water half an hour before each meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Such a quantity of water before the meal will significantly stretch your tummy and as a result, there would be lesser release of the hunger hormone “ghrelin.” This means you would feel full with less food and fewer calorie intake. It is an effective strategy to tackle overeating. It’s a fact that most of us do not consume enough water through the day, and most of the times, we are just thirsty and not really hungry. Frequent hunger pangs are most probably caused due to dehydration and if you can provide your body with more H2O, you can lose weight rather effectively. However, if a person suffers from heart or kidney ailment, water preloading should not be practiced without the approval of the doctor because it lead to fluid retention and shortness of breath in such individuals.
Health Benefits of Drinking Water:
We need almost 3 liters of water per day to drain out the toxic substances from our body and keep system fit. In fact, you would be shocked that many people do not even manage to drink even 3 glasses of plain water in a day. Also, a majority of us do think that fruit juices, packaged drinks can be counted in the mandatory “8 glasses of water” formula.
- Flushes out toxins from the body.
- Suppresses appetite
- Boosts metabolism
- Zero calories
- Balances body fluids
- Helps in digestion.
- Relieves fatigue
- Boosts immune system
- Regulates body temperature
- Ensures smooth functioning of organs.
What is not allowed on Water Preloading?
If you want to reap the benefits from this strategy, drink only plain water and not these:
- Fruit juices
- Energy drinks
- Packaged drinks
- Aerated beverages
How To Drink More Water When you Don’t Feel Thirsty Enough:
- Download water apps: Yes, you can download certain apps that help you keep track of your water consumption and remind you gently on when to drink water.
- When you feel thirsty, it’s actually a signal that your body is dehydrated, so pick up a glass of water even when you are not thirsty.
- Carry always a bottle full of water with you and fill it up frequently.
- Pick a water bottle that you can flaunt! Yes, it works as a motivation to drink more water, especially for women. For example, Janhvi Kapoor has this pink glittery water bottle that she has named “chuski” always with her and she carries it everywhere she goes. It’s a good way to remember to sip water whenever you can.
- Mark your water bottle! You can create a schedule based on drinking goals and mark it on the bottle. Use permanent marker and mark the level of water you should be finishing by a certain time everyday! This trick will actually motivate you to drink water throughout the day.
- Make a schedule of drinking water just after you wake up, before the breakfast, during travelling and as soon as you reach office.
- Set reminders on your phone about the time you should be gulping down one glass of water.
- Sometimes you may get a feeling of nausea or vomiting sensation when you gulp down a whole glass of water at one go. Sip or chew your water instead of finishing the whole glass in one go.
- Reward yourself for drinking 8 glasses of water each day – Treat yourself with mini rewards like chocolate or makeup stuff, or an outfit at the end of the week for drinking enough water.