Let’s admit it, even the most body positive person would get the creeps staring at the reflection of that extra layer of fat beneath the chin, and would try to google up creams and lotions to get rid of it. The sight of double chin staring back at you in the mirror is probably one of the most frustrating things ever because it tends to add years to your age and make you appear heavier than you already are. Though loss of collagen, hereditary reasons, ageing, and other factors can lead to development of double chin; it’s mostly because of weight gain! Double chin is also called submental fat and the loss of collagen and firmness can make things worse. When extra calories build up, the body finds new places to store these fat molecules, and apart from the belly area, it likes to deposit fat right under your jaw, leading to the appearance of double chin. It’s an obvious thing that if you are not making efforts to lose weight, no amount of anti-ageing or firming creams would have an affect on double chin. So, the obvious question is, if you lose weight, will your double chin go away? So, let’s find out:
Here are a few things you could do right away to get rid of double chin:
1. Yes, you Need to Lose Weight: One cannot spot reduce fat, neither from the belly area nor from underneath the chin! Spot reduction of fat is a big myth and reducing overall body fat is the only solution to get rid of double chin. As we have mentioned previously too, the body does not show any bias in burning fat, and that’s why we should focus on following the right kind of diet that would put us in calorie deficit, so that fat all over the body is targeted, including the fat layer under the chin. For that, check out the Rati Beauty diet on the Rati Beauty app to find out how to lose weight successfully.
2. Straighten your Posture: Spending long hours before computers in a slouched position can cause the muscles in the neck area to weaken and sag. Do mind your posture while sitting, sit straight, and do not bend your head and shoulders to lessen the appearance of double chin. Also, take a break from sitting for too long in the same position, get up every 15 to 20 minutes as well to keep the functioning of fat-burning enzyme lipase active.
3. Perform These Neck Exercises Daily: Neck rotation is a simple exercise that anyone can do. It is very important to do some simple neck exercises daily in order to get rid of the excess fat and tone the muscles in the neck. These are designed to target muscle areas around your mouth, jaw line, lips, cheeks and your neck to help tone them up and make them look younger. The bonus, you do not require any equipment and need not hit the gym to do these exercises – do check out these 7 Exercises and Tips To Give You A Tight and Firm Face.
4. Do a Bit of Cardio: Perform some cardio exercises few times a week and it would help you burn fat overall. Check out cardio exercises that you can do at home on the Rati Beauty app.
5. Avoid Transfat: Processed food and transfat from junk food can increase the risk for development of belly fat as well as double chin. Avoiding processed, packaged, and fried food causes overall weight loss and helps in getting rid of the double chin. So, weed out all processed food and transfat from your diet. Here’s a list of “15 Transfat Food Items you should Avoid to Lose Weight Effectively.”
6. Drink Ample H2O: There’s nothing that water cannot do – when you drink lots of water, it keeps your skin hydrated and supple, boosts metabolism, flushes out toxins, curbs appetite, and helps in the fat-burning process too. It is recommended that a person drink at least 2 liters of water everyday to see real magic.
7. Oil Pulling: Oil pulling is a popular ayurvedic routine that not only promotes oral hygiene, it can also give you a sharper jawline. To perform oil pulling, take a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth on an empty stomach and swish it in your mouth for about 15-20 minutes. After the time is up, spit it out and rinse your mouth using water. Do not swallow the oil. Swishing the oil in the mouth involves the movement of the facial muscles and along with other health benefits, it reduces excess fat on the chin area. Here’s a detailed post on oil pulling with more details.
8. Pucker Up: Here’s a simple thing you can do – pucker up – tilt your head back and when you feel a stretch in your neck and jaw muscles, make a pout as if you are going to kiss the ceiling. Hold this position for 5-10 seconds and repeat this for 6-7 times. This exercise tones the muscles under your chin and would help to tone the jaw line.
9. Massaging: Massaging the upper neck and chin area using vitamin E oil in an upward motion would tighten and boost collagen production in the chin area and reduce the appearance of double chin. Vitamin E is known for boosting the production of collagen thus helps in maintaining the elasticity of the skin.
10. Chew Food Slowly: There are multiple benefits of chewing food slowly – the chewing motion is like an exercise for the facial muscles because it helps to tone them. Also, did you know that chewing the food thoroughly and for longer, helps you to lose weight as well. When you eat too fast, your brain doesn’t get the signal to stop once you are full. This means that you often eat more than you actually require. Another interesting fact is that the brain takes about 20 minutes to register that you have eaten food and by slowing down, you can actually reach satiation point during the eating process itself and stop yourself from piling on extra pounds. When you chew food slowly, you are not only exercising jaw muscles, you are boosting the weight loss process as well.
Hope these tips would not only help to get you a toned jaw line, but will also give you a sleeker and defined Y-contour area. Always remember, a healthy diet leads to a healthy and toned body, and it’s no different for your jawline and chin area. So summing up, we can clearly say that with losing weight from overall body, you would be able to get rid of the double chin too, and also would be able to flaunt that well-toned jawline