How Do I Stop Hair from Growing On My Upper Lip? Do you have upper lip hair? Then, we can understand how it takes a heavy toll on your level of self-confidence. Regular salon sessions to get rid of this unwanted hair growth also may not be too pocket friendly. But what if we tell you that there are certain things you can do to stop the growth of hair on your upper lip and it also doesn’t involve visiting a salon? Solutions to reduce growth of hair definitely exists but they bear fruit only with patience. In today’s post, we will answer your query of how you can stop growth of hair on upper lip.
What Causes Upper Lip Hair Growth in Females?
Upper lip growth occurs due to a medical condition called hirsutism. The causes may be hormonal or genetic, or even a combination of the two.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Upper Lip Hair:
In this section, we will talk about a list of natural remedies that not only help in removing hair from the upper lips but also help in reducing the hair growth in the long run.
- Egg White: This mask of egg white, milk and turmeric mix is one of the best remedies to deal with the problem of upper lip hair growth. Milk and turmeric are great to lighten the skin naturally. Also, turmeric is a natural hair removal agent. You can make this mask by taking one egg white and mixing some corn flour and sugar to it. Mix all the ingredients well to form a thick paste. Apply this paste on your upper lip area. Peel it off when it’s completely dry. Do this thrice a week for best results.
- Lemon, Sugar and Water: It is a well-known thing that sugar gently scrubs your skin and removes dead cells. Lemon juice has skin-lightening properties. This natural remedy helps in reducing hair growth from the upper lip area. To make this mask, take juice of one lemon in a bowl. Now, add some water and sugar and mix all the ingredients well. Apply this thin paste all over your upper lip. Let it dry for 15 minutes and wash it off with water.
- Flour: Flour is a great ingredient to remove hair from upper lip. It helps in scrubbing off facial hair in a gentle manner. To make this mask, take some flour in a bowl. Now add some milk and turmeric to it. Mix all the ingredients to form a thick paste. Apply this on your upper lip. Peel it off once it’s dry.
- Brown Sugar Waxing: Brown sugar has great exfoliating properties and is considered to be one of the most effective ways to remove unwanted hair from face. It also comes easy on the pocket and you can use this method in the comfort of your own home. Take 1 cup brown sugar and mix it with 2 tablespoons each of water and lemon juice. Now heat the mixture on medium flame. Stir the paste constantly. Wash your face and pat it dry. Dust some face powder or talcum powder over your upper lip area. Now apply this sugar wax on your upper lip using a spatula. Using a small piece of cloth set the wax uniformly. Wait for a minute and then pull off the wax against the direction of hair growth.
- Gelatin: This is another great natural remedy to stop growth of hair. In a small, microwave-safe bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of unflavored gelatin, 1½ teaspoons of milk, and 3 drops of lavender essential oil. Put the bowl into a microwave and heat on high for 12 seconds. Use a popsicle stick or tongue depressor to apply it to your upper lip. Make sure the mixture is not too hot for the lips. Once dry, peel it off against the direction of your hair growth. Rinse the area with cold water.
- Potato Juice: Using a pack made from potato juice helps to unclog pores and pull away from the upper hair lip. It helps in gentle scrubbing. Potato also acts a natural bleaching agent and lightens the skin naturally. Soak some lentil seeds in water overnight. Strain them in the morning and grind them to form a smooth paste. Now, with the lemon juice and freshly extracted potato juice (from a grated potato), mix all the ingredients well. You can also add some honey for added moisturization. Keep this mask for 15-20 minutes. Once dry scrub the paste off and rinse off with water.
- Honey and Lemon: This mask is a good home remedy to get rid of upper lip hair. Honey acts as a mild wax and pulls out tiny hair from the follicles. Lemon juice being a bleaching agent, helps to lighten facial hair naturally. In this method, you need a mixture of honey and lemon juice. Apply it on the upper lip and leave for about 20 minutes. Soak a cloth in warm water and remove this mixture from the lip area. Then rinse off your face with cold water. Do this twice or thrice a week.
- Spearmint Tea: Spearmint tea is a quite a popular remedy to reduce the amount of male hormone in your body. If you drink this tea on a regular basis, you will notice lesser hair growth on the upper lip area. Research has proven that people who drank spearmint tea reduced the amount of testosterone (male hormone) flowing through their blood streams and a lesser amount of testosterone produced means you will have lesser hair growth on your face. Spearmint teas are available online. You can have it 5 days per week for more effective results.
- Laser Treatment: Laser technology has gained a lot of popularity as a semi-permanent facial hair removal method. If you want to reduce the growth of hair on your upper lip permanently and want speedy results, laser technology is one of the best solution to opt for. Laser light is targeted towards areas that you want to remove hair. The laser light gets converted to heat energy and destroys hair follicles. This may be an expensive option, but it is worth the money because it is a long-term solution for hair removal. It also takes multiple sessions to destroy the hair from the roots completely and it works best on people with light skin and dark hair.
- Electrolysis: Electrolysis is another hair reduction that is done by professionals. This process works best for small areas of hair removal, such as upper lip area and chin. A small needle is used in this process through which electric current is delivered to each hair root, one-by-one, permanently destroying the hair follicle. This treatment also needs multiple sessions.
- Using Hair Growth Inhibitors: For using this method, you need to consult your dermatologist to get a prescription for a hair inhibitor. Hair inhibitors are plant-based products that change the structure of hair follicles. As a result, new hair growth is finer and softer and ultimately, the hair growth stops eventually. Apply the hair-inhibitor cream to the areas of your face where you want to reduce hair growth. The cream will remain on your skin. You need to follow the instructions properly and also check for the frequency if use.
- Tweezing: It’s one of the most widely practiced ways of removing facial hair. This works best when you have sparse hair growth on your upper lip. To make this method safe to follow, sterilize the ends of the tweezers with rubbing alcohol before and after plucking to avoid infection. Stretch the skin gently around the area that you want to pluck. Grip the hair near the root, and then firmly pull the hair. It is also an inexpensive process even though it takes a lot of time to remove all the hairs. If you have ingrown hairs, this method can become painful. When you so tweezing regularly, hair growth becomes less frequent.
- Threading: Threading is another solution to remove facial hair. People use this to shape the eyebrows but it can also be used to tame facial hair. It should be done in a salon. In this method, a cotton thread is twisted around the hairs on the desired area and pulled out in rows. This is suitable for sensitive skin as it does not cause any inflammation.
We have enlisted both natural as well as cosmetic methods to stop growth of hair on the upper lip. As upper lip hair can be embarrassing, you can give these remedies a shot and watch a reduction in the growth rate. You also need to ensure that these remedies have to be regularly followed as recommended to show results. How did you feel after trying out these remedies? Share with us in the comments section below!