Hey, all you girls with curly hair out there, never let anyone dull your curls! Curly hair never goes out of style but it needs more care than straight hair as it tends to be more brittle, dryer, and frizzy. Curly hair needs extra time and effort to stay as pretty as possible. The primary cause of frizz is breakage and damage caused by moisture loss and it is one of the biggest misconceptions that frizzes occur only on curly hair. Frizzy hair can be straight, curly or even wavy. Mentioned below are some tips to keep your curly hair healthy, frizz free and manageable.
12 Ways To Manage Frizzy and Curly Hair:
1. Use a mild and non-detergent based shampoo (sulphate-free would be ideal) to wash your hair. Instead of washing every day, try to shampoo only twice or thrice a week. This is because people with naturally curly hair tend to have dry hair and over shampooing will make it worse.
2. Use protein-based conditioners. Protein conditioners are not very detangling. Use an additional conditioner if your hair tangles. Always rinse with the coldest water you can stand after using a shampoo and conditioner. The cold water “locks down” the cuticle and makes hair appear slicker and less frizz. Never use a brush on curly hair. De-tangle hair in the shower by running a wide tooth comb through your tresses while conditioning.
4. Never dry out hair with a rough towel. This will disturb the cuticles which would lead to frizziness.
5. Apply an ultra-moisturizing deep conditioner every week. After shampooing, leave it on for 10-30 minutes before rinsing. This extra moisture will last all week, smoothing out rough cuticles and helping to repair damaged ends.
6. Mix ½ cup virgin coconut oil with 1 tbs of mayonnaise in a mug. Place mug in hot (not boiling) water until warm. Apply throughout, focusing on lower ¾. Leave on 30 minutes and wash twice with moisturizing shampoo. This not only puts back lost oil, but increases natural shine. Another effective pack is by mixing equal amount of aloe vera gel with coconut oil. Mix well and leave on hair for one hour. Rinse without shampooing.
7. Opt for products that contain UV protection.
8. Use a diffuser attachment if you want to dry your frizzy hair using a blow dryer. Diffusers minimize heat damage from blow dryers by distributing the harsh dryer heat more evenly throughout your hair. Don’t hold the dryer too near your head.
9. Avoid hairstyling products with alcohol, it can further dry out the hair.
10. Take 1 tsp honey, 2 tbs olive oil and 1 egg yolk. Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Massage strands in small sections and wrap your head with shower cap for 30 minutes. Rinse and shampoo as usual. It is a great homemade conditioner to tame your curly hair.
11. Use hair serums available in the market to tame your fizzy hair. Leave-in conditioners are also very helpful in keeping your locks soft and manageable.
12. Don’t use any products made with petrolatum oil or any other minerals as these elements can clog the pores of your scalp and retard the hair growth.