Want to get better sleep, improve stamina, flush out toxins from the body, and reduce inflammation from the body, all at once? One of the most effective ways to bring these amazing changes to your body is to convert the acidic composition of your body to alkaline. An alkaline body wards off disease more effectively, reduces inflammation in the body, reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke, and here’s a little bonus – helps with weight loss. An alkaline environment also promotes healthy bones, strengthens immune system, and leads to absorption of vitamins and minerals.
What Happens if the Body becomes Acidic?
In medical terms, when there’s too much acidic composition in the body, it’s called acidosis. The pH level of the body is maintained by kidneys and lungs and when there’s an impairment with these organs, they cannot handle all the excessive acid accumulation and acidosis occurs. An acidic environment creates to inflammation in the body which can in turn trigger various life-threatening diseases like cardiovascular diseases, stroke, and cancer. An acidic body is also a breeding ground for all other diseases.
How Does Alkalinity Help Human Body?
It is interesting to note that human body is alkaline in nature with the pH of blood standing at 7.4. Our body turns more and more acidic with wrong food choices, sugar, and highly processed food items. Such an acidic environment is apt for toxins to spread, for rise of inflammation, and even cancer cells to grow. Many life-threatening diseases thrive in an acidic environment. Making one’s body alkaline helps shed toxins from the body, cleanses liver, reduces inflammation in the body, improves texture of the skin, helps with digestion, boosts immunity and metabolism, reduces heartburn and acidity.
So, in this post, we list out 10 ways to make your body alkaline and less acidic:
1. Hot water with lemon first thing in the morning: Drink warm water with one full lemon squeezed into it. Drink it first thing in the morning to flush out toxins and make your body alkaline.
2. Cut down on tea and coffee: Tea and coffee are beverages that increase acidity in the body. If you are addicted to tea/coffee and cannot do without them, drinking a glass of warm water before tea/coffee will minimize the acidic effects of these beverages.
3. Eliminate white sugar completely: Refined sugar has zero nutritional value, promotes inflammation, affects all major organs negatively, and promotes an acidic environment in the body. Go completely sugar-free and see these amazing things (What Would Happen if You Stop Eating Sugar for 15 Days) happen to you. And no artificial sweeteners either!
4. Reduce stress levels: High cortisol levels due to increased stress raises blood pressure, jacks up blood sugar levels, and lowers body’s ability to fight off diseases, creating an acidic environment. Practice yoga, meditation, and exercise regularly on a daily basis to do away with stress.
5. Munch on cucumber slices: Cucumber is a highly alkaline food and snacking it on through the day can make your body more alkaline; would also help you shed some weight!
6. Make drinking water alkaline with baking soda: Health experts recommend adding ½ teaspoon of baking soda to around 4 liters of purified water and then shaking this water vigorously to ensure the baking soda gets mixed well into the water. Baking soda is highly alkaline in nature and will make drinking water alkaline immediately.
7. Include antioxidant rich food in your diet: Pick and choose food rich in antioxidants which would help flush out toxins form your body. Here’s a diet that is antioxidant rich and easy to follow.
8. Drink three cups of green tea daily: We would not go into details about how amazingly green tea works, in flushing out toxins and reducing the toxic load.
9. Limit consumption of acidic foods: Meat products, caffeinated drinks, sodium, dairy products, alcohol, soft drinks, soda, cola, butter, cheese, chocolate, etc.
10. Eat alkaline-rich foods: Fresh and raw vegetables, fresh fruits, vegetable juices, spinach, cabbage, carrots, raisins, mango, strawberries, soybeans, papaya, etc.
Additionally, include some form of exercise in your routine. Taking a brisk walk every morning, yoga, or doing stretching exercises will help your body release toxins and create a more alkaline environment. Also, here’s a post detailing “How To Incorporate an Alkaline Diet in your Lifestyle.”