To burn fat and lose weight, you should be ideally looking towards your kitchen rather than gym because that’s where the fight against the bulge starts. We are talking about fat-burning foods in particular – certain foods are considered fat-burning foods because they rev up metabolism, curb appetite, keep you satiated for long, cut down calories, and some of them have enzymes that encourage fat breakdown as well. In this post, we list down 16 best fat burning foods to eat for weight loss. But for overall weight loss, to lose inches, and reduce overall body fat percentage, do check out the weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app.
1. Banana: Don’t be surprised to find banana on top of this list – it’s a fat burning food if taken in the right way. Bananas provide ample fiber to the body and also can actually delay your food cravings by making you feel full for a longer period of time. Also, it has a type of fiber called as “resistant starch,” which resists digestion and thus do not add calories to your body, instead it reaches the large intestine and act as dietary fiber. This resistant starch, according to wikipedia, ferments in the digestive tract, producing byproducts that increases fat burning by 20% to 25%. Increased starch resistant foods can actually increase fat burning and decrease fat accumulation.
2. Garcinia Cambogia: Garcinia Cambogia may sound like an exotic fruit, but it’s widely available in India. Available in dry form, this fruit is rich in calcium, phosphorus, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin.Cambogia contains a compound called as HCA (hydroxycitric acid) which is believed to suppress one’s appetite and to prevent fat production, decrease belly fat, and also helps in reducing stress. A lot of slimming capsules are coming with cambogia extract and many of these are not approved by FDA. The best way is to consume it in its natural form – in fish curries etc. or try eating it raw – it’s extremely pungent in taste, so you would actually not be able to consume it raw.
3. Onions: Onions are not only great for hair growth, they are good for fat loss as well because they have a compound called as quercetin which acts against fat absorption in the body. Onions also have another compound called “diallyl sulfide,” which prevents blood clotting and cuts down bad cholesterol levels.
4. Tomatoes: Those red juicy tomatoes are not only rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, they reduce water retention and regulates the function of “leptin,” which is a hormone found in fat cells that regulates the amount of fat stored in the body. It is found that the effect of “leptin” is exactly opposite to that of another hormone “ghrelin” which is the hunger hormone. Leptin sends “satiety” signals to your brains which satiates the feeling of hunger. So, do stock up on ripe and juicy raw tomatoes, there are absolutely no side effects!
5. Chilli: Green chillies boost metabolism and help you burn more calories with its thermogenic properties. Chillies contain a compound called as “capsaicin” which helps in cutting down fat by increasing metabolism. So, don’t mind a little spice in your diet the next time around.
6. Jalapenos: Like chillies, jalapenos can boost your metabolism and burn the calories faster, but beware, too much will not only hurt your tongue, it can burn your digestive system too. Moderation is the key here!
7. Garlic: Garlic boosts up metabolism, contains antioxidants, and helps burn more calories.
8. Ginger: Ginger increases body’s metabolism, suppresses appetite, has a good amount of antioxidants to fight free radicals to reduce inflammation.
9. Cinnamon: Cinnamon has a compound called compound cinnamaldehyde that increases thermogenesis, boosts metabolism, and regulates blood sugar level as well.
10. Papaya: Papaya is an awesome fruit – it contains a lot of vitamins, fiber, and also an enzyme “papain,” which breaks down protein in your body.
11. Almonds: High in protein and healthy fats, these nuts help burn fat and lowers overall body fat percentage.
12. Avocado: The healthy fats in avocado curb appetite, reduce calorie consumption, and increase fat burning.
13. Spinach: Get a good dose of antioxidants, fiber, iron, calcium, minerals, and vitamins through spinach. Find out how you can lose weight with Spinach in this post. Additionally, spinach has naturally-occurring thylakoids that decrease a person’s liking for sweet and high fat food, so it’s a win-win situation with spinach in your diet.
14. Grapefruit: Grapefruit contains a good amount of Vitamin A and C, also rich in minerals, antioxidants and has high water content. It keeps your skin’s outer layer hydrated. Vitamin C and antioxidants protect the skin from environmental factors, stimulate production of skin collagen which makes skin smooth, plump and increases elasticity. Grapefruit is well known for aiding weight loss. It is high in fiber and water content which helps to promote fullness and reduces calorie intake. Good to snack on or having grape fruit juice in between meals or prior to meals is healthy. It is low in calories, but high in nutrients. Eating grapefruit before meals aids weight loss.
15. Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are an excellent source of protein, high quality fibre, omega 3 fatty acids, calcium, potassium and magnesium, among other nutrients. What’s more, chia seeds are considered an excellent food option for those who are trying to lose weight. Not only do chia seeds have you covered nutritionally, the high fibre content keeps you full for long hours and helps you eat a better diet, which in turn helps with weight loss. Find how you can incorporate chia seeds into your diet to lose weight by following weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app.
16. Green Leafy Vegetables: Remember the times when your mom used to pester you to eat your greens! Greens are low calorie, low carbs, high fiber loaded vegetables which will increase the volume of your meals without increasing the weight. Eating leafy vegetables will prevent iron deficiency, boost your immune system, and keep control of your blood pressure. The calcium present in it also helps in fat burning.