Hair fall is a common problem that women of all ages suffer. The arrival of summer also means increased hair fall and hair woes. For a lot of women, it’s depressing to see chunks of hair literally going down the hair and even more traumatizing to see bald patches on the scalp. Don’t hit the panic button yet because if you act in time, you can save your crowning glory through natural remedies. It’s a popular notion that hair fall of up to 100 strands per day is quite normal, but above that count, you should get worried and take things into your own hand, quite literally. So, let’s get started and find out which natural ingredients work best to reduce hair fall.
Why is your Hair Falling out?
- Vitamin/Nutritional Deficiency: A lack of vitamin C, E, and D will cause hair to fall out abnormally.
- Pregnancy/Childbirth: A lo of women experience hair fall during pregnancy or right after childbirth due to change in hormones.
- PCOD: Polycystic ovarian syndrome brings about a lot of changes in a women’s body – excessive facial hair, acne, increased weight, and hair fall are some common symptoms.
- Hypothyroidism: Low thyroid level will also lead to excessive hair fall.
- Stress: High cortisol level is a major reasons why someone is experiencing hair fall.
- Wrong hair care products: Harsh chemicals in hair care products, like SLES for example, will dry out the scalp and weaken hair roots, leading to hair fall.
- Excess use of heatstyling products: When you are using hair straightener, blow dryer, curling tongs when used without heat protectant will weaken hair.
- Protein deficiency: Hair is made of a protein called keratin and a deficiency of protein in the body will obviously lead to hair fall.
- Low iron level: Iron helps to increase blood circulation to hair follicles, so pump up the iron please.
- Biotin deficiency: As we all know, biotin is so essential for hair, and a deficiency in biotin will cause hair fall.
- Extreme dieting/low calorie intake: When someone goes into crash dieting, the body stops sending nutrients to hair follicles and as a result, hair falls out due to lack of nutrients.
- Zinc deficiency: Zinc is an essential nutrient which is needed in protein synthesis and a deficiency will cause a lot of hair fall.
- Certain Medications: If you have been taking medications for underlying medical conditions, then they can possibly trigger hair fall.
Life Cycle of Hair:
Let’s see how each hair strands grows out of the hair follicle. Each hair has a growing period of 2-6 years [depending on various factors like age, hormonal changes, etc] after which they tend to fall. After the hair falls from its follicle, a new hair would grow from the same follicle. The hair growth cycle happens in four phases:
1. Anagen: It’s the growth stage. Hair follicle is nourished by blood vessels and that leads to active hair growth in the follicle. Anagen lasts for 2-6 years depending on age, hormonal change, diet, etc.
2. Catagen: Transition phase, the hair follicle begins to shrink and hair detaches from the blood supply source, which is also called the “dermal papilla.” This stage lasts for 1 to 2 weeks or 10 days.
3. Telogen: It’s also called the resting phase. Old hair is in resting phase, it stops growing. Whereas new hair begins to enter the growing phase from the same follicle. The telogen stage lasts for 5 to 6 weeks or four months.
4. Exogen: The old hair starts to shed and new hair continues to grow.
Healthy Diet for Hair Fall:
A healthy diet is the key to unlock gorgeous and beautiful hair. Just keep a track of your diet and include these essential vitamins and minerals for hair growth and to reduce hair fall:
1. Vitamin C: Lemon, Kiwi, oranges, yellow capsicum.
2. Vitamin B complex: Cheese, egg yolk.
3. Vitamin E: Almond, butter, olive oil, sunflower oil.
4. Vitamin A: Carrots, butter, papaya, chicken liver.
5. Vitamin D: Eggs, cheddar cheese.
6. Iron: Green leafy vegatables.
7. Magnesium: Cashew, dark chocolate.
8. Omega-3 fatty acids: Tuna, flaxseed, mackarel.
9. Zinc: Sunflower seeds, cheddar cheese.
10. Selenium: Coconut, shrimp, eggs.
11. Biotin: Sweet potato, wheat grains, banana, walnut, mushrooms, cauliflower, cheese, almonds, sunflower seeds.
Best Natural Ingredients to Reduce Hair Fall
Natural remedies will take time to show results but our hair needs all the goodness and in the long run it will be totally worth it. It’s never too late to start so hope you have a recipe ready for the weekend.
1. Onion juice: Onions have a great amount of zinc and sulphur content and even Tamanna Bhatia of Bahubali fame vouches with onions to stop her hair fall. When massaged on the scalp, it improves blood circulation, hence the supply of blood gets better making our hair follicles stronger. Most doctors suggest zinc, biotin, and sulphur supplements when you complain of hair fall. Onion has all that and more!
How to use Onion Juice?
• Mix onion juice with coconut oil and massage this juice on your scalp twice a week for at least 3 months. Consistency is the key here.
• If the smell bothers you a lot; you can dilute it with rose water or aloe vera juice.
2. Pure Castor Oil: You can use castor oil to grow hair not just on the scalp, but even on the eyebrows too. Castor oil is universally used for its magical properties in treatment of hair fall. Castor oil is rich in Omega 6 fatty acids, vitamin E, proteins and minerals which are excellent for hair repair.
How to use Castor Oil?
• Mix Castor oil with any other oil of your choice, for example, coconut oil. Keep it 80% castor oil and 20% other oil.
• Massage it for at least 10 minutes on your scalp and keep it on for a minimum of 2 hours.
3. Fenugreek Seeds: Fenugreek seeds have been used since ages to treat hair issues. Fenugreek has abundant protein and nicotinic acid which promotes hair growth. Also, the presence of lecithin makes our hair really soft thereby reducing dryness and dandruff-one of the major reasons for hair fall.
How to use Fenugreek/Methi seeds?
• Soak the seeds overnight in water. Make a paste out of the seeds next morning.
• Apply and massage the paste on your scalp. Leave it on for NOT more than 30 minutes or else it will be too difficult to remove.
• Wash and condition as usual.
4. Tea Tree Oil: This essential oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties to keep scalp healthy and clear clogged hair follicles.
How to use Tea Tree Oil:
- Take 2 tbsp of olive oil and 5 drops of tea tree oil.
- Warm up the olive oil for a few seconds and add the tea tree oil.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and massage for a few minutes.
5. Sage Oil: Clears dandruff, improves blood circulation to the hair follicles, regulates oil and sebum production. Good circulation to the hair follicle helps to stop hair fall.
How to Use Sage Oil:
- Mix three drops of sage oil and five drops of lavender oil, and 4 teaspoons of coconut oil or castor oil.
- Mix well and massage the on the scalp, keep for 2 hours and rinse off.
6. Rosemary Oil: This oil has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, keeps scalp healthy, stimulates new hair growth.
You can make a mask out of aloe vera and rosemary oil to treat hair fall and promote hair growth.
How to Use Rosemary Oil:
- Take 5 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Mix in 4 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Mix well and make a mask out of it, and apply on the scalp. Keep it for 20 minutes and rinse off wiht a mild shampoo.
7. Lavender Oil: Just like sage oil, lavender oil improves blood circulation to the scalp and has anti-microbial properties that keep the scalp healthy.
How to use Lavender Oil:
You can make a hair growth oil with lavender oil. Here’s how you can make it:
- Take 10 drops of lavender oil.
- Add four tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of castor oil.
- Mix well and massage on the scalp twice a week.
8. Aloe vera: Aloe vera is an amazing plant – it not only great for the skin, it also reduces hair fall by combating dandruff and keeping the scalp clean. It also triggers new hair growth and conditions hair as well.
How to use Aloe Vera:
- Make a hair mask out of aloe vera by mixing fresh aloe vera gel, one egg yolk, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil together.
- You can also make a mask by mixing aloe vera gel with 2 tablespoons of onion juice, and 2 drops of peppermint essential oil.
9. Coconut Milk: Coconut milk nourishes hair follicles with nutrients, conditions hair, and also boosts hair growth.
How to use Coconut Milk:
You can make your own chemical-free coconut milk shampoo this way, step-by-step method explained here:
10. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has anti-microbial properties, stimulates hair growth, and fights dandruff.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Take 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well and apply on the scalp, keep it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo
11. Eggs: Both egg yolk and egg white are packed with minerals, vitamins, proteins, iron, and what not. Eggs also condition and stimulate new hair growth.
How to use eggs:
- Here’s how you can make a conditioning hair mask with eggs and coconut water.