When someone is trying to lose weight, they usually pull all stops in order to rapidly shed weight and get into shape, but most of the times, there’s one thing that stands between them and weight loss – the refrigerator! People with the strongest will power fall prey to the goodies inside the fridge and that’s where most dieters falter because fridge is the shortest route to curb hunger pangs when you are watching tv or feeling just bored. If you are serious about weight loss, it would be prudent to clear up the pantry and fridge of junk and processed food that are rich in calories that can totally ruin the journey towards achieving a healthy weight. Come to think about it, for instant relief from hunger, fridge is the first resort we turn to and if you manage to make that place healthy, you have already cleared that path to successfully reaching the goal weight. What if we told you that when you open the fridge, the fare inside should be delicious, nourishing, and above all healthy, and can actually help you slim down. In fact, you can find more such food sources on the diet programs on the Rati Beauty app because dieting is not about bland food anymore. A healthy diet should comprise of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fats, and all the weekly diets on Rati Beauty Weight Loss programs are about that. Also, here’s a tip – stock healthy food at the eye level so that it’s not a case of “out of sight, out of mind,” and it becomes easier to reach for them the moment hunger strikes! In this post, we have listed out 12 Fridge Staples that Will Help you Slim Down.
1. Peanut Butter: This is an amazing source of protein, keeps you full for longer, reduces hunger pangs instantly, and also boosts metabolism. But the key is eating it in moderation (1 to 2 tbsp), and it tastes really well with apple slices. Also, homemade peanut butter is always a better option and “no added sugar” version should be the option.
2. Carrots: Ever thought of having carrots as a snack? Extremely high in vitamin A, low in calories, and nutrient dense – carrots peeled and cut into spears can be a great combo with hummus (rich in protein). Try it if you haven’t tried it earlier!
3. Salad: Preparing a salad with tomatoes, cucumber and covering it up with a plastic cling wrap will prevent it from turning soggy, and it’s the healthiest thing you would find in the fridge without even worry about any calories.
4. Unflavoured yogurt: We consider flavoured yogurt with added color, flavour, and sugar unhealthy, instead plain yogurt with toppings of fresh fruits are extremely healthy and nutritious.
5. Almond butter: Almond butter is a rich source of healthy fats, vitamins, and protein (absolutely necessary to boost weight loss). Almond butter is also a good source of potassium, calcium, iron, and vitamin E too! No reason why you shouldn’t stock up on almond butter even if you do not want to lose weight. Almond butter tastes great with celery sticks and carrot slices.
6. Almonds: Almonds that are lightly roasted have that great crunchy factor which you can munch on instead of opting for a bag of chips.
7. Pumpkin Seeds: Just like almonds, lightly roast pumpkin seeds to get rid of the phytic acid (which prevents absorption of minerals from the gut). Mix a few almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and store in an air-tight jar in the fridge.
8. Fruit Salad: Cut your favorite fruits like pineapple, apple, pomegranate, oranges, kiwi, mix them all together and store in an air-tight container or cover the fruit salad with cling wrap, and grab them the first thing when hunger strikes.
9. Hummus: Want to know what is great about hummus? It’s extremely diet-friendly with its high protein content and has lemon and spices to add rich flavour. Pair it along with carrot and celery sticks for a nutritious combo
10. Eggs: It’s easy to break an egg or two into an omelette or get a sunny side-up and it would hardly take a minute or two! Keep eggs in stock in the fridge, especially if you are on a diet.
11. Dark Chocolate: Get rid of all the sugar-rich chocolates and pick dark chocolate which can boost metabolism, satisfies cravings, and acts as an appetite suppressant!
12. Banana Chips: Okay, so if you absolutely must have chips, stock up banana chips instead which are comparatively better than potato chips.
Can you think of any other healthy fridge staple, if yes, please do mention in the comments below.