As we all know, dandruff is one of the main reasons that can trigger excessive hair fall. Just like the rest of the body, the skin of the scalp also sheds periodically and gets replaced with a new layer, but the problem occurs when the shedding is excessive in a way that dead skin cells clump together to become large particles and thus become visible to the naked eye. Itchy, dry, flaky scalp are common symptoms associated with dandruff. Use of wrong haircare products, shampoos, dry scalp, buildup of styling products, and even hormonal fluctuations can trigger or aggravate existing dandruff condition. Dandruff doesn’t mean you have unclean hair, although not washing your hair enough can make your dandruff look worse because dead skin cells sort of build up. If left untreated, dandruff can become itchy and inflamed, and all that scratching can lead to hair breakage and temporary hair loss, so keep your hair clean without drying out the scalp. You can control dandruff to a certain extent with shampoos, but to completely tackle the issue, you can try out these home remedies. These 12 homemade remedies not only control dandruff, they do so gently, and boost hair growth too.
12 Homemade Remedies to Clear Dandruff:
1. Take equal amount of jojoba oil, almond oil, and a few drops of peppermint oil to treat itchy scalp and dandruff.
2. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil in your regular yet gentle shampoo. Shake well and wash your scalp and hair with it to get rid of dandruff, as tea tree oil is known to contain anti-fungal properties and hence can get rid of the dandruff.
3. Warm some olive oil and mix some crushed ginger root in it, apply all over your scalp and wash off after 30 minutes. This remedy provides moisture to the scalp and also gets rid of dandruff.
4. Aloe Vera and Onion Juice: Onion juice has gained huge popularity as an anti-hair fall treatment, but it can also control dandruff with its anti-microbial properties. To make this mask, in 2 tbsp aloe vera, add 2 tbsp onion juice, and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Apply on the scalp with a cotton ball and keep in the hair for one to two hours. Rinse with a mild shampoo. Repeat this twice or thrice a week.
5. Honey and Lemon Juice Mask: Honey helps to balance out the pH of scalp and reduces irritation. Mix 2 tbsp of honey with a few drops of lemon juice and apply all over the scalp. Rinse off after one hour. Do this twice a week.
6. Coconut and Lemon Juice Treatment: This treatment helps to exfoliate scalp and calm down irritation. Take 2 tbsp of coconut oil and add a few drops of lemon. Mix well and apply on the scalp thoroughly. Keep for one or two hours and wash with a mild shampoo.
7. Castor oil + Aloe Vera + Tea Tree Oil: Mix 2 tbsp of castor oil, 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel, and 4 drops of tea tree oil. Mix well and apply on the scalp, keep for one hour and rinse with a gentle shampoo.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar and Tea Tree Oil Treatment: Take 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, dilute with 2 tbsp of water, and drop in 4 drops of tea tree essential oil. Apply to the scalp, keep for 20 minutes, and rinse off. Do this twice or thrice a week.
9. Fenugreek seeds + Curd + Lemon Juice: Soak 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds overnight and blend it into a smooth paste the next morning. Add 2 tbsp of curd and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix well, and apply this paste to the scalp, rinse off after 20 minutes. Do this once a week.
10. Coconut and Fenugreek Dandruff Hair Oil: To around 250 ml of coconut oil, add 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds, and 1 tbsp of lemon zest. Keep it on low flame for 5 to 8 minutes, take it down, allow it cool, and store the oil in a bottle. Apply the oil all over the scalp, keep it overnight, and wash with a gentle shampoo the next morning.
11. Rosehip oil with coconut oil: Take equal quantity of rosehip oil and pure coconut oil and warm up the mixture slightly (use double boiling method). When the oil is just warm enough, use a cotton ball to apply this mix directly on to the scalp.
12. Black Pepper, Banana, and Curd Treatment: Mix 1 tbsp of crushed black pepper in a cup of curd, half a banana, and mix well, and apply on the scalp. Rinse off after 20 minutes.