A few grey hair strands popping out at random places on your head might freak you out, especially if you are in your 20s or 30s. It’s natural for hair follicles to lose their pigment and turn grey/white as you age, but in 20s and 30s, it can happen due to various reasons, and genetics, nutritional deficiencies, wrong dietary practices, use of harsh chemicals in haircare products, and certain diseases are just a few triggers that we can name right now. Of course, there are various hair colors and dyes available in the market that can help you cover the grey effectively, but full of chemicals, these hair dyes can damage hair when used regularly. That’s why, it would be a good idea to look for natural ingredients that can darken grey hair, and in this post, we list out 10 Unusual and Natural Ingredients To Darken Grey Hair. But unlike chemical hair dyes, these work slowly and do not show instant results, so you have to be patient and consistent with their use.
1. Black Tea: One of the best ways to make the hair colour black is to use black tea. Here’s how you can prepare black tea concoction for grey hair. Boil three black tea bags into 2 cups of water, and allow it to cool down to room temperature. Apply this liquid on hair or use it as a final rinse after shampooing. Do this twice a week to see visible results.
2. Coffee: Using coffee is one among the conventional and unconditional ways to cover gray hair easily. If you want to get darker hair and prevent gray hair completely, use coffee on regular basis. Simply take one cup of coffee and mix it with one cup of water. You can also add 2-3 spoons of coffee powder and allow it to dissolve. Let the coffee powder dissolve completely and then apply on your hair. Allow it to sit for an hour and wash off with cold water. Using espresso coffee is one among the best coffees that work well. Coffee contains pigmentation which stains your hair, thus, leaving you with dark, lustrous and healthy hair.
3. Potato Peel: Many women have claimed that potatoes have helped them reduce hyperpigmentation and dark spots. Many have also vouched that regular use of potato juice has helped reduce dark under eye circles and puffiness. All this happens because potatoes have an enzyme called “catecholase” which helps to reduce hyperpigmentation, brighten skin, reduce dark spots and acne scars. But potato peel can also cover white hair with its high starch content. Along with onion juice, fresh potato juice can act as a hair tonic. But to color hair, collect half a cup of potato peels and boil it in 2 cups of water. After the liquid cools down after 10 minutes of boiling, use it as a final rinse after shampooing hair.
4. Ridged Gourd/Torai: No, don’t be surprised! You probably have no idea but this vegetable can darken up hair. To use this veggie on hair, infuse dry pieces of tori in coconut oil for 4 to 5 days. Boil this mixture till the oil turns dark and thick. Apply this oil on the hair after it cools down completely. Use this mixture regularly to turn white hair dark.
5. Bhringraj: This herb is extensively used in ayurvedic treatments to treat a variety of hair problems. To use bhringraj for hair, mix 1 tbsp of bhringraj powder and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and heat it for 5 minutes. Massage this oil on the scalp and through the hair. Do this twice a week to see a significant change.
6. Henna: We have been using henna since ancient times to color hair, but using henna with black tea or coffee can color hair to a deep hue. Make this mixture overnight and keep on hair for 1 hour, rinse off with normal water. Read “What Ingredients to Mix in Henna Powder to Make White Hair Black.”
7. Amla: Amla is known to prevent scalp infections, hair loss, and premature graying. It also adds lustre and shine to hair due to its astringent nature. Rich in vitamin C, amla when mixed with other herbs help to make hair healthy, strong, and black back again. Use amla in a hair pack like this – prepare some fresh paste of henna and add 3 tbsp of amla powder and 1 tbsp of coffee powder. Mix everything together and form a paste by adding a little water. Apply all over hair, keep for 2 hours, and rinse away with a mild shampoo. This hair pack also makes hair healthy and strong.
8. Jatamansi: Muskroot or jatamansi is extensively used in ayurveda to prepare hair concoctions. Musk root makes hair strong, healthy, and can color hair to a dark hue with regular use. Mix 2 tbsp of jatamansi powder in 200 ml of coconut oil, let it infuse overnight, and massage hair the next day with this oil. This can also be considered a hair tonic to boost hair growth.
9. Sage: This is another herb which is used in hair tonics to make hair healthy, but fresh leaves boiled in water, and used as a final rinse can darken hair.
10. Beetroot Juice: Beetroot is a powerhouse of nutrition and it’s not only great for your skin, it can help deepen the hair color. With its natural deep reddish pigment, it can give your hair a gorgeous color and you can use it by mixing beetroot juice with coconut oil, and massaging hair thoroughly with this oil, leave it on for 1 or 2 hours, and rinse away with a mild shampoo.
So, these were some natural remedies to darken hair color, if you have any more home remedies, please do share with us in the comments below.