Remember the most important skincare rule you have heard from just about everyone! Yes, cleanse your face thoroughly and remove every speck of makeup before hitting the bed, no matter how tired you are. But wary of using a chemical-laden cleanser? Hold on, there’s a method which is also the most effective way to cleanse skin naturally and it works for all skin types. Yes, it’s called “Oil Cleansing Method,” but people with oily skin might be skeptical whether it would make their skin much more oilier or cause breakouts. But we would like to reassure you that oil cleansing method is the most amazing way any skin type can get clear and beautiful skin. You just have to choose the correct oils and follow the correct method to get good results. Let’s find out more about oil cleansing and how to go about it.
What is OCM (Oil Cleansing Method)?
OCM is a beauty treatment that involves cleaning your face with oils. It’s based on the logic that oil dissolves oil, clean facial pores deeply, can dissolve any kind of makeup, reduce the amount of sebum, nourish skin with nutrients, and thereby giving you clear skin. It is also a method which would help you nourish and pamper skin. This method advocates replacing your regular cleanser with cold-pressed natural oils.
Common Oils Used in Oil Cleansing Method:
- Coconut oil (for dry and normal skin types)
- Rosehip oil (to brighten skin tone).
- Castor oil (for all skin types)
- Extra virgin olive oil (for all skin types).
- Hemp seed oil.
- Jojoba oil (best for extremely oily and acne-prone skin).
- Avocado oil.
- Grapeseed oil.
- Argan oil.
- Safflower oil
- Sunflower oil.
Normally, 1/5 part of castor oil is mixed with 4/5 part of olive oil (extra virgin). This ratio however tends to change based on your skin type. It is a wonderful way of cleaning your skin from impurities without stripped the natural oils.
Best Oil Combinations for Different Skin Types:
- For oily and acne-prone skin: 2 tbsp hemp seed oil or jojoba oil with 4 tsp of sunflower oil, and 2 tbsp of castor oil.
- For combination skin: 1 tsp of rosehip oil, 1 tsp of apricot oil, 4 tsp of jojoba oil, 4 tsp of almond oil.
- For Dry Skin: 1 tsp of castor oil, 3 tsp of sunflower oil, 6 tsp of avocado oil.
- For normal skin: 2 tsp of castor oil, 8 tsp of sunflower oil.
Things You Would Need for Oil Cleansing Method:
You would require hot water, a piece of wash cloth and the right blend of oil. The blend generally depends upon the kind of skin you have. Here is an idea for you to create the right blend:
1. If your skin type is dry, you need to blend 90% olive oil with 10% castor oil.
2. If your skin is oily, you would have to mix 70% castor oil with 30% olive oil.
3. For balanced skin type, the standard proportion is 20% castor oil and 80% olive oil.
While castor oil should remain constant, olive oil can be substituted with coconut oil, sunflower seed oil or jojoba oil.
Oil Cleansing Method in Ten Easy Steps:
1. Blend the oil as per the demands of your skin.
2. Keep hot water ready in a basin or by setting the sink button accordingly because you would need steam to be produced in course of the oil cleansing method.
3. Put some oil on your palms and rub it to make it warm.
4. Now, apply it on your face smoothly.
5. Massage with circular motions till your face is almost saturated with oil.
6. Now the wash cloth should be taken and soaked in the hot water.
7. Place the warm cloth on your face and rest awhile. Leave it on till the cloth cools.
8. Repeat this step again.
9. Wipe your face gently with the wash cloth for removing oil from your face.
10. If your face feels oily still, splash some warm water on your face. Pat dry. If the pores on your face feel dry, a drop of the oil blend can be massaged into your facial skin. Do not scrub!
Oil Cleansing Method: The Procedure Explained:
• Why oil for cleansing? There is a theory behind this treatment. Many people are afraid of applying oil on face. However, cysts, acnes, pimples and blackheads are formed not just because of excess oil; various other factors like hormonal changes, accumulation of dead skin cells and bacteria contribute to these facial problems. But, when soap is used for the cleaning the face, it robs the skin of essential natural oils. Automatically, the skin feels dry and in due course, the oil production is further boosted. On the other hand, when oil is used to clean the skin, the skin remains in a balanced condition while every kind of impurity is done away with. The oil that has hardened with dust particles deep within your skin pores comes out easily when you massage your skin with oil. This prevents blemishes and pimples while giving you a glowing and beautiful skin. You need not fear of excess oil deposits on face after an oil cleaning method. The warm water and the cloth dipped in hot water would remove it completely.
• About the oil-blend: Castor oil is known to possess anti-inflammatory and healing properties. This thick oil with excellent cleansing properties should however not be used in larger quantities. It needs to be diluted with an oil that has a thin consistency. Both olive oil and sunflower seed oil are great for massage and relieving unnecessary dryness.
• The steam: It helps in opening the pores. Thus, it becomes easy to remove the impurities and hardened deposits of oils.
Oil Skin Cleansing Method Tips And Benefits:
- Pick cold-pressed organic oils for better results.
- You need not wash your face with face wash or soap before this method. The method itself is designed for cleansing.
- It is very effective for make up removal as well.
- It is a cost effective option and absolutely safe.
- Try to relax while you massage your face. Practice deep breathing. Keep your mind calm.
- Do it regularly but definitely not too often.
- If your skin feels very oily after you do it initially, it is because the pores are being cleaned of excess congested oil that had accumulated all these days. This will be fine once the pores are cleaned.