Walking on the path of fitness? Then this article is exactly what you need to read right now! Protein is a vital ingredient for human body and also for people who are trying to lose weight the healthy way, as it not only aids in healthy weight loss but also helps build muscles; it improves strength and upgrade overall health and fitness, but it doesn’t mean you can completely rely on protein powder to shed extra pounds. You need physical activity and a healthy diet to see visible results on your body. These days, we have plenty of protein powders to choose from, but choosing the right product can be confusing. So, in this post, we will be talking about whey and pea protein powders, which are the two most popular powders when it comes to fitness and weight loss. This post will help answer the query, which protein powder is best for you!
Whey Protein Powder:
Whey is basically a protein made from the unwanted fragments of cheese and milk. It consists of two main types of protein – casein which is approximately 80% and whey which is approximately 20% whey, when in original form (liquid state) is a mixture of mostly water with protein, carbohydrates, fat and lactose. Once separated from milk or cheese during production, it undergoes processing and finally takes form as whey protein powder. It is also one of the most commonly consumed protein powders and is considered as complete protein as it contains all 9 essential amino acids which makes it highly beneficial for muscle building. Another positive aspect of whey protein powder is that is is low in lactose content and that makes it easier to digest.
Benefits of Whey Protein Powder:
1. Aids in weight loss: According to studies and research, people who consumed protein powder lost weight faster compared to candidates using other methods. It also preserves lean muscle mass and improves overall fitness.
2. Whey protein promotes muscle development: As the human body ages, muscle mass declines and usually fat content increases leading to various chronic diseases, however, this process can be slowed down by strength training, adequate amount of protein intake, and by following a healthy diet. The best way to slow ageing is to follow some sort of physical activity like strength training, Pilates, and consuming whey protein as it prevents age-related muscle loss. According to studies, whey protein stands tall compared to casein or soy protein.
3. It helps to reduce blood pressure: High blood pressure is a root cause for various heart-related diseases. According to a survey on candidates who consume more than 50gm of whey protein powder daily for 12 weeks had lowered their blood pressure by $%, so it proves that whey protein may help lower blood pressure for people with with elevated blood pressure.
3. It is beneficial for type 2 diabetes: Whey protein has been found effective in moderating blood sugar, so people with type 2 diabetes can consume sugar-free whey protein. According to studies, whey protein proved more beneficial compared to egg whites or even fish, making it a king of all forms of protein sources.
Pea Protein Powder:
Pea protein is produced through the extraction of soluble pea protein from yellow split peas. The process is started with drying and rehydration of pea flour. Hence, pea protein powder is undoubtedly a complete plant-based product making it ideal for vegans or for people with gluten intolerance. It is also suitable for people with lactose intolerance as it is lactose free. Also, pea protein powder is easy on the stomach and doesn’t cause bloating or discomfort after consumption and gets easily digested.
Benefits of Pea Protein Powder:
1. Rich in quality protein: Pea protein is low in methionine and comes enriched with nine essential amino acids that human body cannot produce and and must be attained from sources of food, just like whey protein. To increase methionine, you can add methionine-rich foods like eggs, poultry, fish, or brown rice in your diet. But animal proteins such as whey protein is more easily digested and absorbed compared with plant-based proteins like pea.
2. Builds muscle mass: According to popular studies, pea protein powder can encourage muscle growth when incorporated with strength training. According to a study, weightlifting men who consumed 50gm of pea protein gained same amount of muscle mass compared to men who consumed 50gm of whey protein daily, which proves that when it comes to muscle growth, pea and whey both work effectively and similarly.
3. Improves heart health: A three-week research on humans has proven that regular consumption of pea protein can lower systolic blood pressure; yet for better information more research is needed. But according to current information, pea protein is good for heart health.
From where can I get Protein Powder?
You can get protein powder from a health store or online, but always rely on reputed online stores to avoid purchasing fake products.
How To Consume Protein Powder:
The best time to drink protein powder is after a workout as that is the period when your body needs protein and uses the most to burn fat and build muscles.
- Add a scoop of protein into oatmeal (porridge) topped with fruits.
- You can make a fruit smoothie and add protein powder to make it a quick filling breakfast.
- You can add protein powder in pancake batter to make healthy pancakes.
- You can bake muffin or brownies using flavoured protein powder.
Both whey and pea protein works excellent to lose some weight and gain some lean muscle. Hope this article helps you to decide which protein powder is ideal for you. Till then ladies, eat healthy and stay fit.