WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
With so many of our IMBB members ordering online or asking friends abroad to buy cosmetics for them, I think it’s an opportune time for this post. Also, when an online seller (on eBay or otherwise) gives you a ‘good deal’ or a ‘steal’ by offering branded cosmetics for cheap it is time to be wary. I know for a fact that many big cosmetics companies do not offer discount, no matter what. Still there are hoards of online sellers selling branded cosmetics at low prices. It is better to learn than to regret. So here is it folks, my research on how to spot fake cosmetics. I will post one by one and, as always, keep on updating this post everytime I find something new. If any other IMBB member has something helpful to offer on fake cosmetics, please go ahead and do so. I shall include the info in this post. Ok, lets start:
How to Spot Fake NARS Cosmetics
- Nars does not make three pan palettes. (Although I just saw trio palettes on Nars website)
- Nars never writes their name on their products.
- Be careful for different names on the duos you purchase as well as numbers on the back in circles. Please make sure that the seller gives a name to the duos. ALL duos have names, not numbers. If they can’t give you a name or there isn’t one in their auction, beware. This auction didn’t have a name to any of their duos listed.
- Also, go to a site that sells nars such as sephora.com or narscosmetics.com and do research on the color you are buying. I have seen colors on here that nars doesn’t even make. If you find a bohemian gold duo here on Ebay, make sure that the color of the duo you want to purchase is the same as on the sephora or the nars website.
Well, one more
How to Spot Fake MAC Cosmetics
An interesting post was written by Ami on fake/ duplicate MAC Cosmetics and a very detailed must-read post was written by accidental beauty on the subject. All you MAC lovers please go through these posts.
How to Spot Fake Bobbi Brown Cosmetics
Info taken from eBay Guide.
- Genuine Bobbi Brown palettes always have proper B.B. brushes with their logo! Fake palettes have these plain black, cheap sponge applicators.
- Authentic B.Brown palettes always have proper names on the box such as surf & sand, pink raspberry & mauve face. The fake palettes DON’T have these names just some madeup title such as 12 colours eyeshadow palette or Eyeshadows Palette 12colour shimmer 02!
- Authentic B.B palettes, will always have on the back of the box proper names of the shades such as bare, nude, buff, cocoa.. Fakes will have :brown, gold, copper etc you get my meaning! Always ask the seller prior to bidding about the EXACT names of these shades!
- the box of the product says it is made in Italy but the label on the actual product says it is made in Canada.
- The label on the product says the name of the product is Long-Wear Cream Shadow whereas on the box it says Fluidline Eye Liner Gel.
- The label on the product says the color is BURNISHED but when I checked on bobbi brown official website, ‘Burnished’ is a bronzed brown color instead of Black.
And one more…
In retrospect, it is much better to buy branded cosmetics from their respective stores instead of from online sellers. Buy only those products online which are the brands of seller itself. If you do not have access to these stores, ask your friends who do. In the long run, the online sellers of fake cosmetics would also start producing exact replica of genuine products (except for product quality) and it would be hard for you to distinguish the real products from the fake ones. Better buy products from the branded stores only.