WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Today I want to share with all of you my experience with a product that I have been using for the past 2 years. I do not follow either a very dedicated skincare or a haircare regime for that matter. So I am mostly always on the lookout for quickfix, no-fuss products that do not require much effort or time and yet do get you all the compliments in the world 🙂 The Coconut Oil Shine is one such product.
What it claims: Smoothes, adds shine, conditions and repairs. Lightweight conditioner to separate unruly curls.
Price and Weight: Rs. 495 for 50 gms when I bought it. They began selling it for Rs. 395 one week later
Best for: all hair types, particularly dry, damaged or chemically-treated hair
Shelf life: 3 years from the date of manufacturing
Ingredients: Hydrogenated Coconut Oil (Emollient/Hair Conditioner), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Emollient), PEG-8 Beeswax (Emulsifier), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Emollient/Hair Conditioner), Lanolin (Emollient), Carnauba (Copernica Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax) (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Octyldodecanol (Emollient), Parfum (Fragrance), Mica (Opacifier), Propylparaben (Preservative), Helianthus annuus (Sunflower Seed Oil) (Emollient), Methylparaben (Preservative), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Isopropyl Myristate (Emollient), Daucus carota (Carrot Extract) (Natural Additive), Beta-Carotene (Colorant), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), CI 77891 (Colour), CI 77492 (Colour).
How it works:
• Coconut oil moisturizes and conditions hair.
• Community Trade organic beeswax moisturizes and conditions hair while acting as a barrier to seal in moisture.
• Lanolin is one of nature’s richest moisturizing agents.
Where The Body Shop Coconut Oil Shine scores:
● The back of the tin instructs you to apply it on dry hair. However, I have used it in varied ways with varying results. Here are my ways
(a) Apply 10 mins before shampooing your hair. Go overboard and make your hair a bit greasy by applying a huge dime size bit of it. Will work like a smoothing agent and neutralise the dry effect caused by most shampoos.You can altogether skip conditioner afterwards. Also increases combability once your hair is dry.This is how I use it most often when I am in a hurry to rush out somewhere. It is an on-the-go- oil when you don’t want the hassle of an oil massage and yet wish my hair wouldn’t look dry. But I have never used this on my scalp.
(b) Apply it after shampooing when your hair is still drenched in water. Run a comb through and scrunch dry with a towel. Gives your hair a soft glow and the most beautiful curls by acting as a texturising agent
(c) I had my hair cut in layers upto my shoulders last year while this year, I only have them an inch below my hair in one even layer except that the hair is kind of pointed and angled towards the front. I have used the coconut oil shine to set my curls in the past and now I use it to straighten my already straight hair and give me poker-straight pointed tips. It has worked remarkably in both instances. An indispensable product for both curly and straight haired people and thus a styling agent.
● Easily and quickly washed out with shampoo.
● Tames flyaway and frizzy hair
● A mild coconut fragrance which thankfully does not remind me of Parachute oil 😛
● Not tested on animals
● Adds moisture to dry and brittle hair
● Makes hair look a little darker than usual
● Since such a little quantity is required no matter how often you use it, this will last you a lifetime. I find it extremely economical.
●When I had longer hair, it worked well as a leave-in-conditioner at night during the peak winter months of Delhi.
Where The Body Shop Coconut Oil Shine loses:
● It produces only a very natural soft glow and NOT a dramatic shine like other glossing products in the market. I always used to follow it up with a hair mask, shampoo and the TBS honey conditioner whenever I wanted shiny curls.
● In case you wish to use it after shampooing, then it must be used very very sparingly or it tends to weigh your hair down. Apply only enough to moisten the tips of your fingers else you will end up with flat greasy hair. You will have to learn how much of it is best for you as you go along.
● You absolutely must store it in the fridge in case your city has a hot or humid weather. The yellow wax melts into a gooey oily substance making it difficult to run it through your hair.
● Obviously, given the above this shoe-tin is not at all travel friendly 😛
Price and Weight: Rs. 495 for 50 gms
Verdict: Another TBS product which delivers more than it promises and hence worth a try.
Would you purchase again? : Yes. This is already my third tin in two years.