WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
How To Treat Scalp Acne
Scalp acne are a common problem, especially if you have an oily scalp! Whether it is because of your excessively active oil glands or because of hormonal imbalance, scalp acne can be such a bother! It itches constantly, pains from time to time and even bleeds at times! Since I have an oily scalp, I face this problem of scalp acne sometimes! In this post, I am going to share with you how I try to overcome this problem of scalp acne. As you can understand, this article is a product of my experiences as a victim of both oily scalp and scalp acne. I have also tried to include my researches regarding combating the same.
Scalp Acne- Causes
A number of factors are responsible for scalp acne. Here are the top ones-
• Hormonal imbalance that often leads to over-active oil glands
• Dandruff problems
• Frequent application of hair styling products that cause build-ups
• Over-exposure to heat and seasonal changes
• Unhealthy food habits
• Unclean scalp due to irregular shampooing and poor hair care regimen
• Hereditary factors
Hence the first step to treating scalp acne to ensure that you do away with any or many of these causes which can be responsible for your scalp acne. Try to treat dandruff as early as possible. Clean your scalp regularly and ensure that you allow no buildups. Eat a healthy and balanced diet, drink loads of water and never expose your scalp to the direct rays of sun if you are already suffering from scalp acne. Take proper care of your hair and scalp. You should also see a physician to see if it’s because of your hormonal problems.
How to Treat Scalp Acne- Basic Guidelines
Here are the basic things to do if you want to treat scalp acne-
• Use the right kind of shampoo. Use a mild shampoo which has healing properties. According to the nature of your problem, you can look for shampoos with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
• Ideally, you should wash your oily scalp and hair every alternate day. This sounds exaggerated as we all know that excessive shampooing tends to damage hair. But trust me, this is a necessity. Use a mild shampoo suitable for regular use or make your own Reetha shampoo for the purpose.
• Never use conditioners on your scalp as it is like poison for oily scalp. Get more ideas on this from my article- How to treat an oily scalp (https://makeupandbeauty.com/how-to-treat-an-oily-scalp/)
• Use hair cleansing products containing salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, coal tar, cortisone, zinc and such other ingredients do help.
• It is equally important to know what you need to avoid in your hair care products. Propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, mineral oil, alcohol, lanolin and parabens are some of them.
How to treat scalp acne- home remedies
Regular use of home remedies is very helpful in treating scalp acne. However you need to be religious in following them and be patient.
Here are a few easy scalp acne home remedies that you can check out-
• Rub fresh garlic on your scalp acne as well as the areas around them.
• Grind small onions and squeeze out the juice. Massage on the scalp and leave it on. Do it at least 2 hours before you shampoo. This can be done everyday or on alternate days. Apart from treating scalp acne, it also treats hair loss problems.
• Boil neem leaves in water and use it as a hair rinse. Neem has antiseptic properties.
• Mix rose water and lime juice in equal quantities and leave it on for at least for one hour on your scalp. Wash off.
• Use a paste of fenugreek and water to treat scalp acne.
• Try adding a few drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo while cleansing your hair.
How to treat scalp acne- Tips
• Reduce the intake as well as application of oily products. They aggravate the problem of acne.
• Do not use things which transfer the oil on your face to your scalp. One such thing is a headband.
• Keep your pillow covers clean and never share towels.
• Drink lots of water and eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
• Do not forget to consult a dermatologist if the problem persists or gets worse day by day.
How to treat scalp acne- topical treatments and oral medications
A variety of topical treatments as well as oral medications are available for scalp acne. It is best to consult your dermatologist or a physician before resorting to any. Some of these topical treatments include erythromycin, clindamycin and such others. Doctors also prescribe oral antibiotics and medicines like Isotretinoin, Accutane, Doxycycline, Minocycline and Tetracycline to treat scalp acne. I must however admit that I have never gone for any of these medications and this part of my article is based solely on research.