Since we lead hectic lives, encounter heat and sun, use too many chemical-based products, get exposed to pollutants on a daily basis, and have a lot stress that we have to deal with – they all directly affect our hair. As a result, hair fall, thin hair, dandruff, premature greying, split ends are all quite common. It goes without saying that the best nutrition hair needs will come from the food we eat. In this post, we will find out what vital supplements for hair growth are required through our daily diet to keep our hair strong, long, and beautiful. Please consult your doctor if you cannot get these vital supplements through food sources and to combat severe hair woes.
1. Vitamin A: It is a powerful antioxidant that starts working at the hair follicle to stimulate the production of sebum, a natural lubricant for shiny healthy hair. Natural Sources: Carrots, green vegetables, eggs.
2. B Vitamins: Helps maintain good haemoglobin levels in the body and carry oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicle. Improve overall body immunity and strength to fight stress, unhealthy conditions and play a vital role in the repair-and-regrowth mechanism of the body. Natural Sources: Whole grains, pulses, eggs, meat
3. Biotin: This is perhaps the most important b-vitamin for hair which can help tide over problems like hair loss or damaged hair even when they are in serious stages. You may need to take this in addition to your regular b-complex pill. Natural Sources: B-vitamin sources
4. Omega-3 fatty Acids: These are necessary for overall healthy hair and regrowing lost hair. Natural Sources: fish, flaxseeds, walnuts, almonds, peanuts.
5. Zinc: Zinc is a very important antioxidant and it helps in repair and regrowth of hair. Natural Sources: Meat, poultry, eggs.
6. Vitamin E: It stimulates hair capillaries on the scalp and enhances blood circulation. It directly aids the making of new hair. Natural Sources: Nuts, seeds, vegetable oils.
7. Iron: Believe it or not, iron deficiency can cause major hair fall. And running around in our chaotic lifestyles, we are often slightly anaemic without even knowing it. Natural Sources: Kidney Beans(rajma), green leafy veggies like spinach, meat, beetroot.
8. Selenium: It’s a trace mineral which is required in proper quantities for hair growth. Selenium is also essential to activate an enzyme that’s important for the regeneration of vitamin C. Natural sources of Selenium: Eggs, fish, etc.
9. Vitamin D: Vitamin D helps to stimulate hair follicles, so if you are encountering hair fall, you should include soy milk, cereals, egg yolk, cheese, and dairy products.
10. Protein: Since hair is made of keratin, which is a protein, it would be prudent to include protein sources like eggs, lentils, chickpeas, almonds to get your daily dosage of protein for hair.
Citrus fruits and green vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, poultry, fish, eggs and low fat dairy are all essential for healthy hair. Add vitamin C to your diet with citrus fruit juices and high quality protein from vegetarian/non vegetarian sources: your hair is composed of 91% proteins in the form of ‘keratin’. And remember to drinks 8 to 12 glasses of good old water every day.