We cover every little information regarding weight loss here on IMBB, and that’s why today, we would discuss how vitamin D fits into the “weight loss” scene because new studies have suggested that vitamin D deficiency can make you gain weight. Now, we know that our body synthesizes vitamin D when it is exposed to the sun, but we do not get enough of the daily recommended dose which is 800 IU? The more you expose your skin to sun, the more vitamin D you can make. Vitamin D is essential in the smooth running of a majority of bodily functions because it is one of 24 essential nutrients that our body needs in order to survive. Vitamin D also boosts immunity and wards off infections.
What is Vitamin D?
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin which is found in two variants – vitamin D2 and D3. Vitamin D2 comes from plant sources such as yeast and fungi whereas vitamin D3 is available from animal sources and our body makes vitamin D3 with the help of sunlight.
Functions of Vitamin D in Human Body:
1. Promotes healthy bones and teeth.
2. Boosts immune system, fights infection.
3. Responsible for normal functioning of muscles.
4. Important for skeletal development.
5. Prevents production of fat cells.
6. Helps repair cells and muscles.
7. Fights free radicals.
8. The hormonal form of vitamin D, known as calcitriol, has antioxidant properties.
9. Vitamin D helps with conversion of amino acid tryptophan into serotonin, which is a “feel good” hormone, responsible for lifting up our mood.
10. Aids the release of fullness hormone “leptin.”
Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency:
- Mood swings
- Bone loss
- Muscle cramps
- Bone and joint pain
- Weight gain
- Dry skin
- Difficulty in losing weight.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Frequent cold
- Back pain
Recommended Dose of Vitamin D:
20 mcg or 800 IU.
How Vitamin D helps with Weight Loss:
Vitamin D boosts immunity, which is an important factor in weight loss. Studies have also revealed that vitamin D deficiency triggers fat storage in the body for later use, especially around the waist. Appropriate vitamin D level also prevents the formation of fat cells. A healthy diet along with regular exercise and optimum vitamin D levels in the body will help you lose considerable amount of weight and that’s why, we at Rati Beauty, curate recipes so that one does not fall deficient of any vitamin, D or otherwise, to lose weight the healthy way. Additionally, vitamin D also boosts the release of “leptin,” which is the “satiety” hormone which tells the brain that your tummy is full and also improves insulin resistance.
Natural Sources of Vitamin D:
- Cod liver oil
- Oily fish varieties such as salmon, sardines, mackerel.
- Fortified milk.
- Olive oil.
- Fish oil