Thinking about losing weight? Have you tried boosting your metabolism? Well, this might be the turning point in your fitness journey! To lose weight at a faster pace, your metabolism needs to be really high. In this post, we will learn to increase metabolism simply by switching to a healthy lifestyle!
What is Metabolism?
Metabolism is the pace at which the human body burns calories for energy. The rate of metabolism also determined on a variety of factors like age, sex, body fat, activity level, muscle mass and genetics. Genetic aspects of metabolism cannot be controlled but there are several ways to improve and increase up the rate at which the body processes calories, thereby speeding up metabolism.
1. Smaller + frequent meals: Ideally, you should consume meals after every 3-4 hours. Changing your eating pattern and eating at regular intervals can improve the metabolic rate and you are likely to lose weight. If you consume a heavy meal and then go fasting for a long period, the body tends to store energy in the form of fat cells. Also, the food is digested slowly and can cause bloating too. Eating at every 3-4 hours allows you to consume smaller/portioned meal, it enables digestion to work effectively and keeps the stomach tucked in and improve overall metabolism.
2. Eat spicy food: If you love spicy food, this might just lift your soul! Peppers contain a compound called capsaicin which is believed to boost metabolism. If you can’t tolerate spicy food, it’s better to stay away from it though. According to a survey, people who consumed peppers lost additional 10 calories per meal. Hence adding little spices to your meal can improve metabolism and keep you fit. (Please use spices in moderation, too much of anything is not advised).
3. Consume enough calories/Don’t go lower than 1200 calories per day: Crash diet or eating fewer calories as required for the body can slow your metabolism. Also eating meals which are not filling can have similar effects over the body. You can use a app or google to find out the correct amount of calories your body needs per day to maintain a healthy weight and improve metabolism. The amount of calories a human needs also depends on gender, activity level. Women roughly need anywhere from 1600-2400 and men need 2000 to 3000 calories per day. On a controlled diet, one can count up to 1200 calories, but not lower than that.
4. Drink green tea: No fitness journey is complete without green tea. Green tea is a natural fat burner. Skip your regular tea/coffee/juices and add green tea in your diet because not only does it help burn fat around the waist, green tea also increases metabolic rate. Consume 1-2 cups every day is fine, exceeding the recommended amount is not advised.
5. Try HIIT workouts: Trying a different workout routine rather than sticking to a fixed daily routine challenges your body and burn more calories and HIIT workouts are the quickest ways to burn those fat and improve your metabolism. The internet is loaded with such workout routines and you can check out our app “Rati Beauty” for easy-to-do exercises. The best part is that you don’t need a gym to perform HIIT workout, you can perform at home/your bedroom or local park!
6. Manage your stress level: Did you know stress effects hormones level in the body and can trigger production of high cortisol levels. Cortisol helps to regulate a person’s appetite. According to studies, imbalance of cortisol can cause eating disorders in an individual. It may lead to unhealthy eating patterns; effect metabolism, and you tend to gain weight rather than lose it. To control stress, you can try yoga, get plenty of sleep or simply spend some time with your family and friends, go shopping ladies, and it always helps!
7. Add weights: Weight training is one the most underestimated form of workout, but it is one of the most effective way to shed weight and tone your body. Not only does it improve metabolism, it also increases your strength, focus and stamina! I incorporated weight training after my pregnancy to lose baby weight and lost weight at a faster rate! Begin with light weights and gradually increase weights for best results.
8. Hydrate your body: Staying hydrated is essential for the body, skin, internal organs and hair. Water is vital for metabolism, drinking enough water helps to shed weight. According to studies adding, just 1.5 litres of water everyday can help obese women to lose weight. If you notice celebrities/models, they all swear by water and consume enough water for better body and skin.
9. Restore with quality sleep: A human body needs an average of 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night. Many of us ignore the fact or either work at night or simply spend time at party/phone/Netflix! It is said that beauty comes at a price! Getting enough sleep will not only make you look beautiful it will control your appetite and hence keep your weight in control, it will also keep your hormone level well balanced, improve metabolism and grant you better-looking skin. Bonus- energy levels will rise and you’ll be a happier person to be around! Such good package with just 8 hours of sleep!
Hope this article helps you achieve your fitness goal, stay motivated, you CAN DO IT!!