Keto diet has gained immense popularity over the years as a sure-shot way to lose some weight over a relatively short period of time. Keto diet is a favorite diet among celebs because they can quickly get back into shape for their movies. Keto diet is basically a high-fat and low-carb diet. By following a strict keto diet, with absolutely low percentage of carbs, the body enters into a state called as “ketosis,” where it utilizes stored fat as fuel instead of sugar and carbs for its daily functions. In keto, you have to consume high-fat food where one should ideally have 5-10% carbs, 20-25% protein, 60-75% fat on a daily basis compared to a low-carb diet where you can have up to 15-20% carbs per day.
How Can you Lose Weight on Keto Diet?
Keto diet is all about being on a high-fat and low-calorie diet where the body is tricked into a state of ketosis and fat gets burned into ketones which then gets utilized as fuel instead of carbs and sugar. Since the body is deprived of carbohydrates, it can no longer source sugar from food and makes use of stored fat in your body and that way you lose loads of weight.
What Does Keto Diet Usually Comprise of?
A keto diet primarily comprises of healthy fats like clarified butter or ghee, cheese, butter, eggs, meat, seafood, cottage cheese, tofu, fish, full-fat dairy, nuts and seeds with omega-3 fatty acids, low-carb vegetables, and leafy vegetables. Fruits that are usually allowed are berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, coconut, avocado, lemons and lime, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapefruit, gooseberry, etc.
10 Ways To Start Keto Diet for Beginners:
1. Make a grocery list of keto-friendly foods. This is the first step towards jumpstarting on a keto diet. Make a table separating keto-friendly vegetables, fruits, beverages, protein source, etc. Pick food items that have low net carbs, preferably in the 5-10% range. This way, it’s easy to plan a meal and stick to this relatively difficult diet. Here’s a sample list to get started:
- Keto-friendly animal fats: Butter, ghee, fish, bacon, egg yolk.
- Keto-friendly plant fats: Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, almonds, olives.
- Keto-friendly protein source: Chicken, bacon, lamb, salmon, tuna, shrimp.
- Keto-friendly Dairy: Cheese, Greek yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese.
- Keto-friendly vegetables: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Spinach, Lettuce, Cabbage, Kale, Avocados, Cucumber, Celery, Onion, Bok Choy, Jalapenos.
- Keto-friendly condiments: Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard, apple cider vinegar.
- Keto-friendly beverages: Black coffee, green tea, almond milk, bone broth, water, sparkling water.
2. Rule out food stuff that can kick you out of ketosis: Absolutely be aware of food items that can get you out of ketosis. Even a small bite from a regular doughnut or a quick sip from your favorite cola can end keto diet for you.
3. Read the ingredient list of every food packet to rule out carbs: When you shop for packaged food, read each and every ingredient to rule out hidden carbs. Peanut butter, protein bars, protein powders, sports drinks and packaged dairy products usually have high hidden cargs that we usually miss counting as net carbs. So, just be doubly sure about reading labels.
4. Get rid of all non-keto food items from your kitchen and pantry: Most people who falter on keto diet admit about cheating on non-keto food from their fridge or pantry. If you live alone, it’s better to completely stock only keto food and snacks. If you live with family who are not gonna follow the same diet as you, it’s better to maintain a small pantry of your own and pick items for your meal from there.
5. Meal prep keto meals: Meal prepping is a great option not only for people on keto but also for everyone who wants to eat healthy. Plan ahead your breakfast, lunch, dinner meals to eat healthier, stay in ketosis, and ultimately lose weight.
6. Look for early signs of ketosis: Watch out for signs that you have entered ketosis – the most common signs are – fruity kind of a breath, increased ketones in the blood, decreased appetite and cravings for sugar, increased energy, difficulty in sleeping or insomnia for the first few days, digestive disorders, and of course, weight loss! 😛
7. Explain to your friends and family that all that fat in keto won’t kill you!: Yes, you need to educate people around you, especially family, friends and colleagues that all that ghee, cheese, and butter on a keto diet would not give you a heart attack! It is easy to get unmotivated and lose direction with negative talks about keto, so take the initiative and spread love about keto.
8. Water is your best friend: We cannot emphasize the importance of keeping yourself hydrated enough by drinking lots of water on a keto diet to keep away keto-related symptoms such as keto flu. Don’t restrict yourself to just 8 glasses of water a day, drink more than that!
9. Make a list of low-carb easy recipes. On Rati Beauty app, we have a complete diet program with detailed recipes of keto diet. Download the app and follow the diet plan to lose weight effectively.
10. Keep away from artificial sweeteners: You would crave for sugars like crazy in the beginning of a keto diet. Often people think artificial sweeteners are a better bet, but do stay away from sucralose and acesulfame-K, which may raise glucose and insulin levels although it has zero calories. The problem with artificial sweeteners is that in the long term, such sweeteners may cause weight gain and other side effects.
So, these were some effective tips for people who are planning to get onto keto diet to shed some weight.