Today, we shall take a tour around different means by which it has turned out that epsom salt can assist us in reducing weight. Since we all dream about the perfect hourglass figure, let’s find about ways to achieve that figure. If you like to detox and flush out toxins from your body, then incorporating epsom salt in your bathing routine can do wonders. So today, we shall spare a few words on how to use epsom salt to help us get rid of those stubborn pounds that are rather hard to shake off. “Magnesium Sulphate” which is most commonly known as epsom salt, is a natural inorganic mineral compound that occurs in saline springs, such as those found in Surrey, England.
How does Epsom Salt help with Weight Loss?
Epsom salt gets absorbed directly through our skin and it shows its effects very fast. It functions by increasing the magnesium and sulphate levels in our bloodstream and that in turn acts as a detoxifying agent which pulls out all the excess toxins from our system, including fat cells – that eventually leads to boosting out internal metabolic rates and our calorie burning capacity. Epsom salt has also been recorded to show significant improvement by preventing emotional overeating and thereby lowering the chances of weight gain rather significantly.
We can use Epsom Salt in the following ways:
- Consume it internally: Epsom Salt is a FDA-approved laxative, thereby it is safe for consumption; however, it is good to practice caution because even a tablespoon of the salt contains enough magnesium to upset your digestive system causing diarrhea, nausea, dehydration or even laxative dependency. Also, it can’t be called as an effective strategy for weight loss, as epsom salt mostly targets water weight loss and once you stop having it, chances are that mostly you will end up putting on weight.
- Normal Epsom Salt Detox Baths: This method helps in detoxifying the body. All you need to do is add 1-2 tablespoon of the salt to your bathtub while filling it with tepid water and then soak yourself and relax for 15-20 minutes. Taking such baths regularly, would help in detoxifying your system and also in reducing weight. One must remember to rehydrate oneself before and after taking the salt water bath. Also, you must initially start with one tablespoon of Epsom salt for bath and later increase the dosage to two cups per bath.
- Epsom Salt with Baking Soda: The method to follow this is by adding two cups of baking soda to 2 cups of epsom salt in your bathtub and then rubbing yourself with a soft sponge; it is guaranteed to act like a cleanser that would accelerate the detoxification. Baking soda also has other benefits like treating dryness and fungal infections thereby helping to cut down microbe activity.
- Epsom Salt with Ginger: This method should be used when the main reason of your weight gain is due to excess toxic build up on your body. In that casem to speed up the process of detoxification, ginger is used in combination with Epsom salt to speed up the effects. Ginger is widely used to open up the pores on your skin and that would lead to elimination of toxins through sweat. It is preferable to use warm or hot water. Soak yourself for half an hour in the hot bath.
- Epsom Salt with Olive Oil: The combination of Epsom salt with olive oil is amazing as the presence of olive oil in the bath salt mixed water increases its effectiveness to flush out toxins. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and helps to improve the texture of skin with added softness and smoothness. But it is advisable not to be used by older people or children as olive oil enriched Epsom salt water feels slippery while getting out. To prepare, add two cups of Epsom salt to two cups of olive oil in lukewarm water. Soak yourself in that water for about 10-15 minutes and you are done!
- Epsom Salt with Apple Cider Vinegar: In this method, Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar are mixed in the ratio of 1:2 in hot or tepid water. Soak yourself in the bath for 30 to 40 minutes. This ideal salt bath helps in providing relief from joint pains and stress in addition to weight loss management.
- Epsom Salt with Essential Oils: If you want to add some dose of rejuvenation to your bathing routine in addition to weight management, follow this way of using Epsom salt. In order to enhance the detoxifying experience, a few drops of essential oils of lavender, jojoba, vanilla, bergamot or eucalyptus is added to the bath water containing Epsom salt. You can also mix these essential oils with carrier oils like coconut oil or sweet almond oil and add it to the bath water for dilution. Then, immerse yourself in this healing water. Not only does soothe your mind and body, but you will also experience weight loss with this.
Precautions to be followed:
- It is advised not to add more than 600 grams of Epsom salt in one’s bath.
- One should not take Epsom salt bath for more than 20 minutes at one go.
- Always rehydrate enough before and after taking Epsom salt bath as the process involves loss of body fluids.
- Having Epsom salt internally can result in a number of side effects, so it is always a wise idea to consult a certified medical practitioner before starting its internal dosage.
- Medical consultation is a prerequisite before a woman takes a salt bath especially during pregnancy.
Well dear readers, we sincerely hope that you found the article both instructive and useful. Kindly share your thoughts and provide feedback in the comments section below.