WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
By Jyoti Dubey
Green tea is obtained from the Camellia sinensis plant, the same plant from which black tea is obtained. The difference comes from how these leaves are processed. Green tea does not undergo fermentation/ oxidation unlike black tea in which the leaves are fermented completely or partially. As we all know, green tea aids in weight loss by increasing the metabolic rate of the body and that is why it is one of the most popular choice of beverage for people who are conscious about their weight. No matter how beneficial green tea is, sipping it at random hours of the day can do more harm than good. That is why it is very important to know the proper timings at which this miraculous beverage can be consumed. Read on to find out about the timings when you should consume green tea and when it should be avoided:
1. Do not have green tea on an empty stomach in the morning: Don’t be shocked, but green tea also has caffeine and it can lead to dehydration if consumed in excess or at the wrong timings. It might also cause acidity as it stimulates the release of gastric acid if consumed on an empty stomach.
2. Post Meals: Drinking green tea after a meal can help in digestion as it boosts up the metabolism of the body, but do not consume it immediately after the meal as it can hinder the process of absorption of nutrients, make sure that you keep a gap of at least 45 minutes.
3. Before Workout: Having green tea half an hour before working out can provide you with a boost of energy and thus it will help you last longer in your workout sessions, thereby aiding weight loss.
4. Do not consume green tea before going to bed: Consuming green tea immediately before going to bed can hinder your sleep because of the caffeine content. That is why it is not suggested by experts to consume this beverage just before your sleep time because it makes you feel alert and causes insomnia.
5. Consume green tea after breakfast: Consuming green tea after having breakfast is very beneficial for the body because in the morning the metabolism of the body is the highest and green tea acts as a catalyst in further improving that metabolism rate.
6. Do not drink green tea with meals: A strong antioxidant, tannins are found in large quantities in green tea. This can hinder the process of iron absorption in the body, that is why it is not advisable to have green tea along with your meals.
Along with keeping the above points in mind, one should also make sure that they are not consuming more than 2 to 3 cups of green tea in a day as high doses of green tea can cause liver toxicity in humans. People with high blood pressure or heart problems should seek the advise of a doctor on whether they should consume this beverage or not depending on their health conditions.