Not all white food is processed, but then, most processed food is white! It’s believed that a majority of white foods that have been processed are unhealthy and should be eliminated from one’s diet, in order to lose weight and get healthier as well. We are certainly not talking about healthy white food such as milk, paneer, tofu, poultry, cheese, white beans, mushrooms, garlic, cauliflower, yogurt or nuts. We are in fact pointing fingers at polished white rice, white flour, cereals, white sugar, etc. Refined carbs that are devoid of any nutrients, and quickly cause blood sugar spikes are what make these white foods a villain. By eliminating white foods from your diet, you are most certainly making room for healthy and nutrient-rich food. Most processed, refined white food is the leading cause of obesity all over the world. If you are serious about weight loss, then it’s important to find out which white foods to avoid for weight loss and what to eat instead! Replacing these food items will help kickstart your weight loss process with full gusto and also would serve as small stepping stones to big successes. Additionally, find out how you can lose weight by eating the right kind of food by checking out diet programs on Rati Beauty app.
So, What’s the Problem with Processed White Foods?
Most of them have empty calories, with low nutrition value, and have simple sugars that spike insulin and blood sugar levels quickly. This sharp increase in insulin is followed by a steep crash, and within a short time, the hunger would return, increasing cravings for more of such unhealthy food. Frequent snacking and eating such high-calorie food would lead to calorie surplus and eventually weight gain. It’s also alarming how whole grains and healthy food are getting replaced with processed white food in daily diet. Needless to mention, such a diet can put you at a risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and of course obesity. If you want to narrow your waistline, shed extra weight, replace these high glycemic food with low-glycemic, nutrient-dense food that would help nourish the body and mind.
9 White Foods To Avoid For Weight Loss and What to Eat Instead:
1. White Rice: Switch to brown rice instead. White rice or brown rice doesn’t really matter if consumed in moderation, but then polished white rice has mostly simple carbs with low fiber content. Brown rice has fiber, complex carbs, calcium, iron, and even antioxidants, so a good pick over white rice.
2. Refined Sugar: Switch to jaggery or stevia leaves instead. Eliminating white sugar is the most easiest way to shed extra pounds without actually breaking a sweat. As we all know, refined sugar is extremely addictive because each time you consume it, the brain signals the release of dopamine (which is a “feel-good” hormone) with effects similar to addictive drugs. To come out of this rut, choose better alternatives like jaggery because it flushes out toxins from the body, clearing out the airway, and since it’s rich in potassium, iron, and other minerals, it’s much better than refined sugar. When you experience low energy levels and can’t binge on sugar, try jaggery (Indian gud) or organic honey in your tea, coffee, juice etc to increase your energy levels. Also, stevia leaves is the most safest form that can be used instead of artificial sweeteners or white sugar.
3. White Bread: Switch to Brown Bread or Multigrain bread. We would also like to add that not all brown breads are brown enough. White carbs are bad and so is white bread. So, does that mean you should skip white bread completely? Well, white bread isn’t good for weight loss, so you should look for breads that contain whole wheat or whole grains in them. You should 100% whole grain, 100% whole wheat breads, or and each slice should have at least 3 grams of fiber and less than 3 gm of sugar. Read “What is the Best Bread To Eat For Weight Loss” in this post.
4. White Pasta: Switch to whole wheat pasta instead. Whole wheat pasta has comparatively more fiber content and is low in calories too.
5. White Salt: Switch to Rock Salt instead. You should never eliminate salt from your daily life because it is needed to maintain electrolyte balance and other body functions. However, there are better options available that have better nutrient profile. For example, rock salt or sendha namak has around 84 trace minerals that are essential for the body. On the other hand, some white salt packets have anti-caking and bleaching agents added to them.
6. White Flour/Maida: Switch to Whole Wheat Flour or Oatmeal Powder instead. Yes, maida is extremely unhealthy, for your gut, for your overall health, and would set you back on your weight loss goals. For all of you, who are trying to lose weight, we have researched about some healthy flour options that you can replace all-purpose flour or maida with in baking.
7. Mayonnaise: Use avocado, Greek yogurt, or hummus instead. Mayonnaise is high in calories and made mostly of oils, quickly leading to weight gain.
8. White Whipping Cream: Switch to a combination of softened butter and milk and blend it to the consistency of whipping cream. Packaged whipping cream has a lot of calories and can push you into calorie surplus.
9. Condensed Milk: Switch to Coconut Milk, Oat Milk, Almond Milk instead. It’s no secret that condensed milk is all about sugar and loads of calories. On the contrary, coconut milk, oat milk, almond milk have healthy fats and have amazing fat-burning properties.
50 Healthy Food Swaps That Everyone Should Absolutely Try
15 Ways to Satisfy your Sweet Tooth without Refined Sugar
What is the Best Bread To Eat For Weight Loss
Which Salt is Good for Dieting and Weight Loss