Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy by the removal or expulsion of a fetus or embryo from the uterus before it is viable. It can occur spontaneously due to complications during pregnancy, or can be induced. A pregnancy can be intentionally aborted in several ways. The manner selected often depends upon the gestational age of the embryo or fetus, which increases in size as the pregnancy progresses.
Reasons for procuring induced abortions are typically characterized as either therapeutic or elective. It is medically referred to as a therapeutic abortion when it is performed to save the life of the pregnant woman; prevent harm to the woman’s physical or mental health; terminate a pregnancy where indications are that the child will have a significantly increased chance of premature morbidity or mortality or be otherwise disabled; or to selectively reduce the number of fetuses to lessen health risks associated with multiple pregnancy. It is referred to as an elective or voluntary abortion when it is performed at the request of the woman for non-medical reasons.
Spontaneous abortion, also known as miscarriage, is the unintentional expulsion of an embryo or fetus before the 20th to 22nd week of gestation. A pregnancy that ends before 37 weeks of gestation resulting in a live-born infant is known as a “premature birth” or a “preterm birth”. When a fetus dies in utero after viability, or during delivery, it is usually termed “stillborn”. Premature births and stillbirths are generally not considered to be miscarriages although usage of these terms can sometimes overlap. (Wikipedia)
These days, abortion is considered to be one of the most convenient ways of getting rid of unwanted pregnancies. Whether one should undergo this procedure or not is one of the most heated topic of discussion among the masses. Every one has their own views on it.
Mentioned below are some pros and cons associated with it.
Pros of Abortion:
• Abortion is a safe medical process. The vast majority of women who have an abortion do so in their first trimester. Medical abortions have less than 0.5% risk of serious complications. They do not affect a woman’s health or hinder her future ability to give birth.
• It has been noticed that at times women, who suffer from various dangerous medical conditions such as heart disease, kidney disease, severe hypertension, sickle-cell anemia, severe diabetes, etc. can not cope up with the difficulties of pregnancy. In cases when such diseases can be life-threatening, an abortion often helps to avoid serious medical difficulties from childbirth.
• When a woman is made pregnant by a violent act, like rape or incest, then such forced pregnancies can causes further psychological harm to the patient. Teenagers who become mothers have bleak future prospects. They are much more likely to leave school, receive inadequate prenatal care or develop health problems.
• At times, it also helps in keeping a check on the size of the family. It can serve as a powerful tool to undo mistakes, thereby preventing mothers to be forced for raising a child at a young age.
• These days, thanks to the technology, it is easier to detect the diseases among the unborn babies. Giving life to an unhealthy baby and watching it suffer all day and night can be highly jeopardizing for the family as well as the newborn child. So, in such cases abortion is the only way out.
Cons of Abortion:
• No civilized society permits one human to deliberately harm or take the life of another human. Abortion is a brutality as it takes away a chance of life from a child.
• At times it has been noticed that an abortion always lessens the chances of having children later in life. Though it is not a compulsory experience, but it can definitely happen, leaving the woman childless forever.
• It can result in medical complications later in life; the risk of ectopic pregnancies doubles, and the chance of a miscarriage and pelvic inflammatory disease also increases.
• Women who demand complete control of their body should prevent the risk of unwanted pregnancy through the responsible use of contraception. Abortion should not be used as another form of contraception.
• Abortion frequently causes intense psychological pain, depression, guilt, and stress.
Pregnancy- Myths, Diet and Abortion
Post Pregnancy Abdominal Exercises
Torch Infections During Pregnancy
Common Pregnancy Problems
How to Dress During Pregnancy
Pregnancy: Diet to Conceive a Baby Girl
How to Firm Stomach after Pregnancy
A-Z Guide to Pregnancy Weeks
20 Points for Planning Your Pregnancy
Pregnancy Diet for Conceiving a Baby Boy