Health and weight loss experts would unanimously agree that a successful weight loss journey should ideally start in the kitchen, not in the gym. What’s cooking in the kitchen today will determine whether you are going to gain weight or lose weight tomorrow. Someone rightly said “what you eat today in private, you will wear in public tomorrow.” Okay, so now that we have clearly highlighted the role of kitchen in shedding extra pounds, we would highly recommend doing these 12 things in the kitchen to lose weight from today.
1. Invest in a Kitchen Scale: Portion control is an essential aspect when someone is trying to lose weight and a digital kitchen weighing scale would come in handy to measure out the right quantity of food. Weighing all the ingredients would help you practice portion control, and that’s why Rati Beauty highly recommends a digital kitchen weighing scale.
2. Hide All The Packaged Snacks: Sheer boredom can make you take short trips to the kitchen and refrigerator to nibble on high-calorie packaged food (potato chips, biscuits, candies, cookies for example) to calm hunger pangs. Avoid stocking the kitchen with these junk food items and if you already have a few of them left, hide them because the “out of sight, out of mind” policy would work very well when you don’t have them up on the kitchen counter. Also read: “10 Amazing Ways to Start Eating Healthy.”
3. Spring Clean Refrigerator and Pantry: A well-stocked refrigerator that has loads of processed and packaged food can act as a roadblock if you are trying to lose weight because we tend to store leftovers, sugary delights, and junk food, all in the fridge. To help you lose weight and get healthy in general, we woul highly recommend that you “spring clean” these “24 Worst Foods in your Fridge that Prevent Weight Loss” so that you can eliminate them from your diet and start afresh. Fast food, packaged fruit juice, candies, canned fruits, salad dressings, fizzy drinks are some items we can think right off the bat to help you start with.
4. Replace Cooking Oil: A major yet often ignored aspect about weight loss – pick the right cooking oil. Replace hyrogenated vegetable oil and seed oils (corn oil, soybean oil for example) that have high omega-6 percentage trigger inflammation (major reason for obesity) with healthier oils such olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil options.
5. Transfer Cooking Oil into an Oil Sprayer: Even if you are using the healthiest oil to cook food, it still contains lots of calories and fat, and using a spray oil spritzer helps to cut down the amount of oil while cooking, and thereby control the amount of calories as well.
6. Keep the Fruit Bowl on the Kitchen Counter: Instead of stocking away fresh fruits in the refrigerator, arrange them in a fruit bowl on the kitchen counter so that you would be tempted to pick one up when in the mood for a snack instead of reaching out for a bag of potato chips. As we all know, most fresh fruits have ample amount of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and not to mention antioxidants. In fact, fruits, just like vegetables should be part of your daily diet.
7. Start Meal Prepping: You can easily lose weight by following meal plans on the Rati Beauty diet and since it’s easy to follow – meal prepping ahead according to the diet plan would save a lot of time during hectic weekdays where there is little time to cook homemade food. Preparing batches of healthy food and store them up in the fridge – it would last for most days in the week, and it will not only help you to stick to the diet plan better, this practice will also save lots of money (cutting down the frequency of eating out and ordering food) from restaurants and eateries.
8. Get Smaller Dinner Plates: For portion control, it’s important that you start serving food on smaller 10-inch and 8-inch plates because we unknowingly might be serving more food on to large plates in an effort to fill them up. Ideally, if you are trying to lose weight, you should eat out of 8-inch plates or smaller bowls.
9. Pick Stuff from this Grocery List: This is a list of “99 Grocery Items that would help you in your weight loss journey.”
10. Replace BPA Plastic Containers and Plastic Bottles: Cut plastic usage in kitchen, especially ones that have BPA (which is a known obesogen). Most Indian kitchens tend to use plastic containers to store food and such containers have been found to have BPA (bisphenol A) that has toxic effects that can trigger insulin resistance, cardiovascular disease, infertility, and even weight gain. BPA also alters the function of hormones like insulin too, and creating insulin resistance. As we all know, insulin is a hormone that regulates blood sugar and triggers fat storage too, and that’s why you should avoid BPA-laden products at all cost. BPA is found in low-quality plastics, canned foods. Cut out as much plastic products as you can, switch to glass, steel, or BPA-free containers to store food.
11. Discard these things from the Kitchen: Here’s a list of “10 Things you Should Throw Away From the Kitchen to Lose Weight.”
We assume you are already heading out to the kitchen after going through these tips. 😛