WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Five Wardrobe Must Haves for the Indian Woman
To simplify your fashion woes I bring to you the five timeless, classic, chic and versatile pieces every Indian woman should own. With these pieces in your wardrobe, you are guaranteed to be your chic best regardless of “what’s in” or “out.”
1. The Silk Saree
- Fabrics like net and velvet come and go, but the one fabric that is quintessentially a saree fabric is silk. You’ve seen it in your grandmother’s wardrobe, you’ve seen your mother carry it with panache, and it’s time you own one too.
- A silk sari is classically elegant and can be dressed up or down according to occasion. It can be dressed up with festive jewelry for celebrations, or worn with a simple watch or bracelet for socializing.
- Make sure you choose a color that you love and looks great on you!
2. The Crisp White Shirt
- A full sleeve, button-up, white shirt is as versatile as it is classic.
- Wear it for work with a pair of pants or skirt. On days off pair it with jeans. A longer length shirt can be belted and paired with leggings for a look that is fun and comfortable.
- Layer your shirt with a tank top for days that are a little cool.
- Dress your shirt up by pairing it with chunky necklaces and bracelets.
- Tired of always tucking it in? Add a belt to create a more defined look when wearing the shirt out.
3. The Dark Wash Jean in a Straight or Boot-Leg Cut
- Whether you’re in your twenties, thirties, forties or fifties a dark wash jean is a must in your wardrobe.
- Can be paired with both western and ethnic tops with ease. Just make sure the top length is not too short, if it doesn’t provide the “hip-coverage” you seek, layer with a cardigan, boyfriend blazer or open buttoned shirt.
- If you’re shying from wearing jeans because of age, it’s best to opt for a more ‘conservative’ cut and slightly relaxed fit type.
- A boot leg cut (fold the bottom half of your jean, the flair should be a little wider than the middle) and a straight cut (fold it up and it will be of an almost uniform width) jean are universally flattering on all figure types. A dark wash lengthens and slims the legs. In other words: win-win.
4. The Shawl
- The shawl, which has for long been a staple in every Indian woman’s wardrobe , is one of the most classic and versatile pieces of clothing. Too bad it is severely underrated.
- As functional as it is stylish, the shawl can be worn with a number of ethnic and western clothes.
- If you’re worried that a full-size shawl maybe too cumbersome to carry, opt for a smaller, sleeker design.
- Since fall is here and winter is fast approaching, this is one item that sure will beat the jackets and sweaters in your wardrobe in terms of wearability and chicness.
5. The Black Pump
- The black pump is perfect for work and for socializing. And it adds an instant pizzazz to any outfit.
- Can be worn with dresses, skirts, pants, jeans and about anything in your wardrobe.
- Opt for a peep-toe pump so that you can pair it with your ethnic wear without looking mismatched. Just make sure that you’re allowed to show toes at work (some companies deem it inappropriate to wear open toed shoes).
- Choose a heel length that you are comfortable with, you will be wearing this baby a lot.