Summer has arrived early this time around and with it comes heat and humidity which can trigger excessive sweating on the scalp, and guess what, there’s nothing more refreshing than washing your hair with an awesome-smelling shampoo to get rid of stink and smell associated with profuse sweating. In this post, we list out some easy and effective remedies that you can use to combat the common concern of smelly hair. Slick or oily hair easily attracts dust, odours and other environmental pollutants around, resulting in smelly hair, especially in summers. Of course, the quickest solution would be to wash one’s hair, but you may not always have the time for that and it may not give you lasting results. So, let’s take a look at some quick and easy home remedies for smelly hair.
1. Apply Baking Soda to the Scalp: Baking soda is a powerful antidote for smelly hair, as it absorbs all the bad odours and excess oil from your hair and scalp. Prepare a paste by mixing one part of baking soda and three parts of water. Apply this paste to your damp hair and rinse it off after 5 minutes.
2. Dab some Lemon Juice: It’s a great ingredient for an oily scalp and smelly hair. After shampooing your hair, apply some lemon juice (diluted with water) to your hair and scalp. Rinse off after a few minutes. This will combat grease, odour and dandruff, and will leave your hair feeling clean and smelling fresh.
3. Spritz Rose Water: Rose water works as an effective neutralizer for smelly hair. This is one of the simplest and quickest home remedies for hair that stinks. Spray some rose water directly onto your hair and scalp and watch it absorb all the odours to make your hair smell nice and fresh.
4. Massage Scalp with Olive Oil: Giving your hair and scalp a quick massage with olive oil before you wash it. This will really help you deal with the problem of smelly hair. Olive oil effectively combats the problem of foul smelling hair.
5. Cancel out Smelly Scalp with Tea Tree Oil: Known for its powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties, tea tree oil works very effectively to cancel out any bad odour in your hair that is caused by scalp infections. Mix in a few drops of tea tree oil every time you shampoo your hair to get the best results.
6. Two Ways to Use Neem Oil: Another powerful antibacterial and antiseptic oil, Neem oil can be used for smelly hair in two ways. You could add a few drops of neem oil to your shampoo every time you use it. Alternatively, you could boil neem leaves in water, cool the mixture, strain it and use it to rinse your hair once a week.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar Treatment: Apple cider vinegar is a wonder ingredient that has multiple benefits for your hair. It helps clarify your hair and scalp by removing product buildup (which can lead to smelly hair), it restores the shine in your hair and it also helps to reduce frizz. Mix one part of apple cider vinegar with two parts of water and rinse your hair with this after shampooing.
8. Use Scented Dry Shampoo: A good dry shampoo will help soak up the grease in your hair and make it look and feel fresh and clean. A scented dry shampoo can additionally help to mask any bad smells in your hair. Recommendation: Batiste Dry Shampoo Instant Hair Refresh Coconut and Exotic Tropical.
9. Wash the Comb Instead: If you can’t wash your hair, freshen up the tresses by washing the comb/hair brush and run it several times through the entire length of hair.
10. Use the Cool Shot Button on the Blow Dryer: Switch to the cool setting on the blow dryer to open up hair cuticles and release the bad odor, and it really works.
11. Spray Perfume on the Hair Brush: As a temporary relief, try spraying your favorite perfume on the comb/hairbrush and run it several times through the mane to freshen them up.