WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Makeup is an art, whoever said that, is absolutely right! You can conquer the world with lipstick on your lips and a beautiful smile on your face, well almost! If you are someone who struggles with makeup, we are going to make your life easier with these 102 makeup tips and tricks so that you can look glamorous instantly. With these tips, you can do your makeup with just a few minutes to spare. Here are 102 Makeup Tips and Tricks All Women Should Know:
1. If you like big, clumpy, spidery lashes – before applying mascara, coat your lashes with a little bit of translucent powder. Then, coat the lashes with your favorite mascara. It will give you clumpy, spidery lashes.
2. To make your own lipstick, melt some Vaseline on a metallic spoon, over a flame (lighter or candle), then add your favorite shade of eyeshadow pigment or any loose pigment to the Vaseline. Mix well. Your lipstick is now ready!
3. Apply a thin layer of eye primer not only on eyelids, but around the eye area, even underneath the eye, before starting face makeup. This will prevent creasing in and around the eye area and you would not get those fine lines showing up after a few hours.
4. Use a makeup setting spray to lock your makeup.
5. To create ombre lips, apply a lighter shade of the lipstick on the inner lips followed by one shade darker at the corners. Then dab concealer at the center of your lips and then lightly dab a lip gloss.
6. This hack can fix your broken compact or makeup products. You will need rubbing alcohol that is used in cosmetics and a medicine dropper. Take the broken product and break it completely into powder form. Now with the help of a medicine dropper, mix together rubbing alcohol and powder form of the product. Press the product well and now it’s as good as new.
7. Use blotting papers to control shine on your face. Gently dab the blotting paper so that it would absorb oil, do not rub or wipe.
8. Mix up a little moisturizer with your favorite lipstick shade. You would have a cream blush ready!
9. If you have got lipstick on your teeth, do this – with clean hands, place your index finger between your lips and pull it out. The lipstick that was on your teeth would now be on your finger.
10. Apply clear brow gel on your eyelid and take any glitter or loose pigment and put it on the top of the brow gel. It stays put and works perfectly as a glitter glue.
11. To make your nose appear slimmer, take a brush and dip it into a bronzer then put a ruler (yes scale), onto the skinniest part of your nose and put on the bronzer, one line on both side and blend it out. Brush the leftover product down the nose. This makes it look a lot smaller and slimmer.
12. Apply natural honey on your face and keep it on for 15 minutes, wash it off before applying makeup. Honey moisturizes skin really well before makeup application.
13. Use a q-tip to remove excess makeup or to correct eyeliner or mascara mistakes.
14. Once you have done your base makeup, immerse your face in a bowl full of cold water for 30 seconds. This process is called Jamsu and it will give you a flawless base. Read more details about Jamsu here.
15. For long and thick eyelashes, grab some cotton balls. Apply one coat of mascara, which will separate your lashes. Now, take a spoolie brush and rub it onto a cotton ball in a way, that it catches some fibres from the cotton ball. Now, start running this brush onto your lashes. Apply second coat of mascara and repeat it if you feel you need more length and volume.
15. Before you apply any eyeshadow, cover your eyelid in a white eyeshadow, this will make other colors that you apply on top pop brightly on your eyes.
16. Reduce the shine on your face by applying baby powder. Wait for two minutes before dabbing off the excess with a brush or towel.
17. To get perfect curls, warm up your eyelash curler with a hair dryer.
18. To make a glossy lipstick matte, blot it up with a tissue paper.
19. Give an illusion of a sharp nose by apply a light shade of concealer on the bridge of your nose.
20. Apply concealer in a triangle shape under your eyes to brighten up the eye area.
21. Contour like this (Rati’s pic) to get perfectly chiseled face.
22. Pink blush looks good on all skin tones. To get a nice pink glow, use a creamy pink blush with a hint of gold to look gorgeous.
23. Do not use stark black eyebrow pencils, they make brows appear fake. Instead opt for dark brown and natural brown eyebrow pencil to give definition to your brows.
24. Never skip moisturizer under base makeup, even if you have extremely oily skin. Use an oil-free moisturizer in that case.
25. Moisturize your skin well before foundation application, whether you have oily, dry, or normal skin. If your skin is not well moisturized, your foundation will look patchy and highlight flaws.
26. If you want to make your teeth look brighter, just dab a bit of red lip stain and blot it out. It will instantly brighten up your smile.
27. When you have a nice shade of pink or mauve lipstick, you can use it as a blush. Just dab the lipstick tube over your cheeks and blend lightly. No need to use in a separate blusher.
28. To make lips appear instantly fuller, do this – Apply a white lip pencil to the middle of your lips. Apply colored lip liner to the corners of your lips. Blend. Apply lip gloss.
29. Highlight the highest point of your cheekbones, contour the underside of cheek bone, apply blush in between the highlight and contour. Blend everything perfectly to get flawless makeup look.
30. If your foundation turns orange on you after some time due to oxidization, blot your face before and after applying foundation.
31. To make your eyes look bigger, use black mascara on the top eyelashes, and apply brown mascara on the bottom eyelashes, you will clearly see the difference.
32. Test and match your foundation on your cheek or jaw line, not on your arms or face. When searching for the right color foundation, swipe the color on your forehead, jawline, and cheek to match.
33. Line and curl at the same time – applying your eyeliner and curling your lashes at the same time. So, you need your eyelash curler and on the top side you need to create a line with your gel liner. Then, do your usual thing and you can see your eyeliner getting stamped above your upper lashes.
34. If you have oily skin, pick powder foundation over liquid or creamy ones.
35. To conceal under-eye circles, apply red lipstick underneath the eyes, and above that, use your regular concealer.
36. Run an ice cube all over your face before applying makeup. It will help your makeup last longer without any oil showing up on your face.
37. Do your eye makeup before applying foundation, otherwise fallout from the eyeshadow will ruin your face makeup.
38. Use the pointed side of an eyeliner brush and a cream or gel eyeliner to create a line of dots as close as possible to your upper lash line. Now, blend the dots together to create one smooth, unified stroke. Layer a small amount of any bright eye shadow above your eyeliner for a pop of color. You can use this connect-the-dots eyeliner trick for any eye shape to create that perfect flick of eyeliner.
39. To prevent dark nail polishes from staining your nails, apply a coat of white nail polish beneath. This way the dark nail polish will be more vibrant too.
40. Instead of spraying your favorite perfume all over your body – apply it on your pulse points like behind the ears, inside the wrists, inside the elbows, behind the knees to smell amazing throughout the day.
41. To create simple smokey eyes, draw a slanted hashtag with a black pencil eyeliner at the edge or outer corner of the eye. Blend it out along the lid and eyeliner and get a pretty smokey eye in return.
42. To make lipstick last longer, apply a layer of lipstick, then put a tissue paper across your lips and and then apply loose makeup powder on top. This way your lipstick will last longer.
43. Brush brown mascara on your eyebrows to make them appear full.
44. To look instantly glamorous, apply moisturizer on your eyelids and apply a glittery eyeshadow on top, blend a little, and that’s it.
45. Apply lip balm on your eyelids to get a healthy glow on your eyelids.
46. If you have small eyes, apply eyeliner in a thin line. Thick lines will make your eyes appear smaller.
47. Use a spoon in place of an eyelash curler for a wide-awake eye look. Run the spoon under hot water. With the empty or hollow part facing upward, use your thumb to hold your eyelashes against the curve of the spoon and turn upward.
48. If you do not have an eye makeup remover, you can use Johnsons and Johnsons No Tears Baby Shampoo with a cotton ball and warm water to take down makeup.
49. Here are four steps to get perfect eyebrows – draw a line below the brows, draw a line above the brow, blend down, and blend up, and that’s it.
50. This is the correct order of face makeup application – cleanser, serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation, concealer, powder, and then bronzer and highlighter.
51. White eye pencil can be applied on the waterline of the eyes to make the eyes appear bigger.
52. Apply makeup foundation to the center of your face and blend outwards. If you apply it around your hairline, it may look caked up.
53. Put your nail polish in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before applying as it will go on without any streaks and smoothly.
54. Soak clumpy mascara tube in a cup of hot water to loosen it up, after this, your mascara will go on smoothly on the lashes.
55. Thicken your lashes by applying one coat of mascara first, then dust your lashes with baby powder, and then apply a second coat.
56. To make any glossy nail polish matte, take a pinch of cornflour and one drop of clear top coat. Dip and mix cornflour into the top coat. Apply this mix on to the glossy nail polish on your finger tips. Your glossy nail polish will look matte.
57. Add eye drops to old mascara to prevent it from drying out.
58. Use a lip scrub twice a week so that your lipstick will glide on smoothly on the lips.
59. Comb your hair with a wooden comb for beautiful hair.
60. Avoid using heavy moisturizers under makeup because they can break down even the primer on top. Use water-based foundations to keep your makeup light.
61. You can use a good fine art brush as your eyeliner brush, isn’t that brilliant!
62. To find out the undertone your skin, look at the color of your veins on your inner wrists in the light. If they appear bluish, you’re cool and if they are green, you are warm skin toned.
63. Fill your whole lip with a lip liner before applying lipstick if you do not want your bare lips to show up at the end of the day.
64. Use a good lip balm on the top of cheekbones if you do not have a highlighter in your stash.
65. If your eyes are looking too tired, apply highlighter in the corners of your eyes.
66. Use an eyeshadow primer on your eyebrows to keep your eyebrow product in place all day long.
67. Use a green color corrector to cover up a red pimple.
68. Apply bronzer in the shape of “3” on your face – that is covering your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline.
69. To cover up a pimple, first apply makeup foundation, then apply concealer, and finally use setting powder.
70. Make tiny, hair-like strokes with your eyebrow pencil for natural-looking brows.
71. To get rid of oiliness on face, apply a clear mattifier product instead of loose powder.
72. Apply foundation and gently blend makeup with a Beauty Blender to achieve a natural look.
73. If you apply foundation before your concealer, you wouldn’t need too much concealer to cover up flaws.
74. If you have oily skin, use matte bronzer and brush, and a concealer one shade lighter as the highlighter.
75. If your skin doesn’t have any major flaws, just lightly dab some loose powder to get a fresh look.
76. Position a pencil or pen under your chin horizontally and then keep a ruler under your ear vertically. Take your measurement from the intersection of the pencil and ruler. Less than 2.25 inches and you’d look amazing with short hair; if it’s more than that, long hair will look great on you.
77. Line the outside of your lips with concealer so that your lipstick appears more vibrant.
78. Draw fake freckles on top of your cheeks and over your nose to look younger.
79. Use a concealer one shade lighter than your skin tone to brighten up your brow area.
80. Use a brow brush to spread out the excess brow product that you may have applied.
81. For a quick glitter eyeliner look, line your eyes with an eyelash glue, and then press loose glitter on top with an eye makeup brush.
82. Don’t use an under-eye concealer to cover up pimples, use a cream concealer instead.
83. If you have an oily t-zone, use a matte gel moisturizer on your t zone and normal moisturizer everywhere else on the face.
84. Spray on rose water after applying moisturizer to make your foundation go on smoothly.
85. If you make a mistake with your mascara, dip a cotton ball into some foundation to remove it and conceal.
86. Make your pencil eyeliner easy to use by warming the tip using a lighter or candle.
87. Apply concealer before lipstick to make it last longer.
88. If you are feeling sick, use a bright red lipstick to look and feel good.
89. Conceal dark under eye area using an orange-toned lipstick before adding concealer on top.
90. If your gel eyeliner is drying out, add in a few eye drops to freshen and loosen it up.
91. If you do not want to splurge on a brow product, use a taupe or dark brown eyeshadow on an angled brush as eyebrow powder.
92. Apply Vaseline on your pulse points before spraying perfume to make the scent stay on longer.
93. If you running out of eyeliner, dip an eyeliner brush into the mascara tube, and apply directly on to the lids.
94. If your blush color is too strong, tone it down by mixing it with a highlighter.
95. Apply an oil-free primer so that your makeup stays on for longer.
96. Mix a little peppermint oil in your favorite lip gloss to get plump lips.
97. If your foundation is too dark, adding a bit of moisturizer would lighten it.
98. To make your lips appear fuller, apply a beige or white lip pencil on the center of your lips and apply lipstick on top.
99. If you have just 5 minutes to get ready, either do proper eye makeup or lip makeup, not both.
100. Makeup removing wipes come in handy if you are too lazy to remove makeup at the end of the day. Dip your wipes in micellar water for added benefit.
101. If you want to make your hair look fuller, apply brown or black eyeshadow with a brush on the parting of your hair. This trick is very helpful for those also who can’t go for touch ups every now and want to cover up white hair as well.
102. Apply a lip primer before you apply a lip balm. This will increase the intensity of the colour and your lip colours will also be prevented from bleeding.