Hi Everyone, 🙂
I thought I’d do a post for you all just like the good old days. We had a question regarding summer makeup in Madam Gupshup. Although we do have some lovely topics covered on summer makeup HERE and HERE. I wanted to share a few personal tips that I always follow when it comes to Summer makeup. And after travelling so much I know that our Indian summer is not comparable to any other summer. 😛 When my friends in London and Paris used to tell me about their summer, I used to tell them that you don’t even have a clue about summers. lol! So without further rambling here are my tips for you all to look gorgeous and fresh no matter how much the Sun god showers its abundance love on us. 🙂
1. Use primer and Setting Spray : The starting and the ending of your makeup is very important. Have a solid base underneath your makeup and set everything so that your makeup can last long and look fresh. We have so many amazing primers in market these days that can not only help make your makeup last long but will also give a smoother base for your base to go on smoothly. Among the ones easily available in India are
Lotus Makeup Ecostay Insta-Smooth Perfecting Primer
Lakme Absolute Blur Perfect Primer Review
L’oreal Paris Base Magique Transforming Smoothing Primer
MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect Protection Visage SPF 50
And then use a setting spray. If you don’t have a particular setting spray, just use your good ol’ rose water. I have been using rose water to set my makeup for years and it has never failed me.
My personal favourite rose waters are from Forest Essentials and Kama Ayurveda.
2. Use Powder : I sometimes feel that powder is such an underrated thing. When it comes to summers like ours, it is a saviour. “Powder on areas only where you need to set” can mostly work in winters but in summers, I suggest that you do lock your foundation / BB cream/ CC cream with powder. And no you would not loose your luminous glow. The powder would sink in your skin after a while leaving your skin looking healthy.The natural oils in your skin would anyway melt the powder. Plus if you use the setting spray, you would not have any powdery look on your skin. And you have highlighters that you can use to bring that glow back in your skin. But if you don’t use powder in this scorching heat, your makeup would melt, oxidize, and can even look patchy. I personally like to use loose powder when I do my makeup and carry a compact with me just for the touch ups. If you have very oily skin, pat your oily areas with oil blotting sheets before you do a powder touch up. And if you are sweaty, pat your skin with a tissue before you apply powder. Also, don’t forget to clean your sponges / brushes ever so often. Your skin would say thank you to you, trust me.
3. Keep your base makeup light : It’s the best time to use your lovely BB creams and CC creams. They are light, give enough coverage and look natural. If you have good skin, just use concealer where you need and set everything with powder foundation / loose powder. If you don’t have BB or CC cream, just mix your foundation with a bit of moisturiser. That would sheer down your foundation and you’d get the long lasting power that your foundation would provide.
4. Don’t over highlight: I think I have myself been a victim of ‘highlight on fleek’ case.I am so over it now. I only use highlight as a natural glow – in moderation and seamlessly blended with my blush. It looks much prettier,imo. Especially in summers your ‘highlight on fleek’ can look like you are sweating and that over-highlight on cupid’s bow, it can look like a sweaty moustache. The makeup world has given us a gorgeous product called highlighter, unless your are a fan of instagram makeup, I say use it to give a healthy look to your skin than streaks and dots of shine all over your face.
5. Use Waterproof Mascara : I am not a huge fan of a waterproof mascara. I find it really difficult to remove. Plus these days most mascaras have such good formulas that they not necessarily run down on your face..well unless you cry. 😛 But just throughout the summers, I apply a thin coat of waterproof mascara as a lock after applying my regular mascara. This prevents me from the struggle of removing a ton of waterproof mascara at the end of the day but provides me a fool proof way to keep my eye makeup intact. Some waterproof mascara suggestions for you all
Faces Ultime Pro Gel Waterproof Mascara
Maybelline Hypercurl Volum’ Express Mascara
Maybelline The Falsies Big Eyes Waterproof Mascara
Dior Diorshow Waterproof Mascara
Hope you find these tips useful and help you in looking glowing and fresh all summer long. 🙂