Skin Care For Teens
If you are in your teens, you are at the right time to start taking care of your skin as it is said that 80% of the lasting sun damage occurs before the age of 18. We all know, when it comes to teenagers, their appearance matters a lot and proper skin care can help avoid skin problems. Some people may be born with flawless complexions, but most of us have to work at it.
There are so many skin care products out there in the market today and it is really difficult for anyone to choose the right product when everyone is claiming their product to be the best and will make your skin clear, acne free, beautiful,etc. There are different products for different skin types. You first need to know your skin type before picking up any skin care or makeup product. Following are some tips how you can take care of your skin.
There are four basic steps
CLEAN→ HYDRATE→ TREAT→ PROTECT
It’s important to keep your skin clean so as to keep dirt, oil, pollution and excess sebum at a bay. (cleaning removes excess oil so as to prevent acne).
Cleaning of oily / normal / combination skin: Use a cleanser that contains salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is not harsh on skin and effectively controls oil production and hydrates skin.
Cleaning of dry / normal skin : Cleanser containing glycolic acid helps in getting rid of dead skin cells. Glycolic acid is suggested for teens because skin can’t tolerate retinol at that age.
Hydrating means adding water to your skin. After cleansing comes toning but for teens it is advicable to use either rose water or cucumber water for toning. After that, you can moisturize your skin with water / oil based moisturizer. You should moisturize your skin twice a day using a balanced moisturizer specially formulated for your skin type. Use water based moisture for oily skin and oil based one for dry skin.
NOTE: don’t put heavy creams on oily skin, your moisturizer should be oil-free. Always apply moisturizer after cleansing.
Many teens need to treat their skin because of the changes they go through at this age. Acne is the most comman problem which occurs due to clogged skin pores. This happens due to excess sebum producing oil glands, the oil on your skin attracts dirt, pollution, debris and bacteria. Some times wrong skin care or makeup products clog pores resulting in acne.
Your hair oil, dirt and dandruff in hair also affects your facial skin so, it is also important to keep your hairs clean.
Oil glands are most active at forehead, nose, chin and cheeks also called T-zone. Skin care products containing benzoyl peroxide may help to treat mild acne. Consult dermatologist in case of severe acne.
Protect your skin from dirt, pollution, bacteria and most important the harmful UV rays. Wear sunscreen with atleast 30 spf and UVA, UVB protection from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and keep your skin dirt and pollution free with a good calamine lotion when you are out after 4.
• Avoid using chemicals
• Don’t use a lot of product, let your skin breathe.
• Drink plenty of fluids.
• Don’t overuse anything.
• Make rose water, cucumber, potato and turmeric your best friends.
• If you are wearing makeup at teenage, pick up mineral makeup.
• Avoid touching your face, it transfers bacteria from your hands to face.
• Wash your hands before applying anything to your face.
• Don’t be lazy, clean your skin before going to bed and after waking up (its important to clean after waking up because the oil produce at night tends to attract dirt and harmful rays at a higher rate)
• Eat healthy, only external care will never work.
• Don’t don’t don’t pop your pimples, you are inviting scars and some more zits by doing this.
• Don’t rely on your mom’s skin care products, your skin care if different from your mother’s skin care.
• Avoid spicy and greesy food.
Stay Young.. Stay Healthy.. Stay Happy..!