The Body Shop – Vitamin E Moisture Lotion SPF 15 – Product Review
The Body Shop says – Moisturize and protect your skin from the sun and damaging environmental aggressors with an easily-absorbed, SPF lotion.
Quantity: 50 ml (1.69 US fl OZ)
Price: 18.00 $ USD
How it works:
- Vitamin E and wheat germ oil work as natural antioxidants to moisturize the skin, while protecting against premature aging.
- Broad-spectrum UVA and UVB skin protectors guard skin against the sun’s damaging rays, giving this lotion SPF 15.
Ingredient list : ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate (6.0%), Octisalate (4.0%), Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane (3.0%); INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glyceryl Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Triethanolamine, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Carbomer, Behenyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Citronellol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Isobutylparaben, Propylparaben, Linalool, Geraniol, Tocopherol.
Say what? Do I see 5 versions of parabens? Frankly I just read the ingredient list and I am quite shocked. Lately I have seen a lot of buzz/controversy about the use of parabens in cosmetic products. I have not researched much about parabens but I just know that there are some studies that link parabens to breast cancer. But, every other cosmetic product we use has parabens as preservatives. Although there are a lot responsible companies that do make products without parabens and the likes, typically the price range tends to be much higher. While its tough to completely switch to ‘no parabens’ mode just like that, I will slowly start doing it one product at a time. It is kinda disheartening to see TBS use such these ingredients though.
My take on The Body Shop – Vitamin E Moisture Lotion SPF 15
If you read my previous haul post, you may know that I got some The Body Shop products as part of 5 for 35$ offer. So I grabbed the offer and bought some products that I have been eyeing for a while. Let me say that, I am glad I got this product on an offer. There would have been no way I would have bought this product for 18 dollars a pop. That, I think is ridiculous pricing! I think there are far better drugstore brands that give me better mositurisation/sun protection than this one. Here is the deal with this one. The consistency of the lotion is great. A tiny amount does a nice job of covering up my face. But if you use more products, the skin looks a little greasy…I can only imagine how this will work in humid places…Ugh! It does not do a good job in moisturizing my face at all. I have to say that I have dry skin. So my test to see if a moisturizer works for me is to see if the sides of my nose stay “normal”. What is normal you may ask? Well, when my skin lacks hydration, the first sign I see is horrible dry skin peeling off the sides of my nose. It’s a disgusting thing to look at to say the least. That’s it, that one factor will do for me to decide if the product works for me or not. So my long winded point is that this one did NOT work for me.
Also I don’t feel that this is a good sun protection product. Even though it has broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection, SPF 15 is nothing. Also for a dime size amount that we apply on our face, I can assure you that it probably is not going provide much protection at all.
But I feel kinda sad for giving this one a bad review though 🙁 I was hoping that this would be a two in one product with sunscreen and all that!
PROs of The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture
- The smell is LOVELY. (Think a rose garden) But, I am sucker for anything rose scented. So I maybe biased.
- Contains SPF 15. Although, I think it’s not much…something is better than nothing.
- Cute little pink tube. (Lame , I know. but I had to say it 🙂 )
Pardon me for the crappy pics. I get to take pictures only in the night and the flash completely kills the picture quality. 🙁
CONS of The Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture
- Not moisturizing enough.
- It’s way too expensive for the tiny tube.
- Although I love the smell, the fragrance is a bit much for a face product. May cause irritations for a lot of people.(I know I am contradicting myself , but its better to just spill the beans)
- The lotion looks kinda white like glue. I am guessing the sunscreen has gotta to do something with it.
- If you think using more product = more moisturization, you are wrong. As you use more product, it just starts to get greasy.
- Does not moisturize well. Not much of a sunscreen. 18 $ for a tiny tube (50ml supposedly).Tell me why I bought this, again? Oh well, live and learn!
Save yourself some trouble and money. It ain’t worth it!