A lady all decked up, looking gorgeous with hair flying in the air and having Sarvoski, got down a car and walked towards my table, I completely loved her attire, make up and aura…but wait, one thing and ‘spat,’ I was shocked. Pigmented Lips, is something I noticed last night when I went for a good family dinner.
I got back home, checked my lips and heaved a sigh of relief….but then being a “Curious case of Zeeba”, I googled. And darn, got to know so much about lip pigmentation.
First let me brief you on lip pigmentation, or pigmentation in general. Pigmentation is generally, skin darkening or lightening. The lips suffer from Melasma in particular. Melasma is generally prevalent and seen with the Asian skin types. It gives grey, brown and even black spots over the body, and black and grey lips, is something which needs urgent treatment and care.:) Lip pigmentation can be genetic too.
Home Remedies for Curing Pigmented Lips
• Eat plenty of green vegetables, fruits containing vitamins and have lots and lots of water because it provides hydration to the lips.
• Honey and glycerin works as best moisturizing agents so you can apply thick coat of it in the night that will protect your skin from getting dried.
• You can also prepare Neem paste or aloe Vera paste and simply apply it on your lips and let it work over night to revitalize your lips.
• Rubbing cucumber to your gives you quick relief from your chapped skin.
• Application of lime juice on your lips helps to maintain the natural color of your lips and keeps your lips shining and soft.
• Apply a combination of wheat germ oil, tomato juice, water cress, spinach juice and water cress because it helps you to have beautiful pink lips.
• If you are in an urge to have beautiful red lips then crush red rose petals and apply the juice to your lips. Petals are able to provide natural red color to your lips.
• Use beeswax or beeswax contained lipbalms and tints. Beeswax generally protects seals and moisturizes the lips.
• Cocoa butter, I think Elle 18 bombs lip glosses and lipsticks as soon as I read cocoa butter. It’s an antioxidant, hence softens and protects the lips.
• Vitamin C intake is also essential for getting rid of lip pigmentation.
• Drink a lot of water, this keeps the lips hydrated.
• Mix lemon juice, glycerin and honey and apply it on your lips before going to bed. Or apply a butter tint before going to bed.
• Give your lips a yogurt massage every morning, or a malai massage could also do.
• Rub a piece of papaya on your lips to reduce pigmentation.
• Take a cotton ball, and dab some apple cider vinegar on it and apply it on your lips like twice a day.
• Scrub off your lips every morning with your toothbrush every morning. (I do it, religiously).
• Also you can apply your regular toothpaste on your lips just a few minutes before brushing and loaf around the house.
• Apply “CASTOR” oil on your lips before going to bed.
• Reduce caffeine consumption. (Ahh kill me before that) No coffees and teas.
• No smoking Nicotine cause lip discoloration.
• Drink milk. Lactic acid has whitening properties and it also paces up the dead cell removal process.
• Chlorinated water could also be responsible for pigmented lips.
• Olive oil and peanut oil massages are great for pigmented lips.
• Rub a piece of beetroot on your lips before going to sleep.
• Lemon juice mixed with almond oil serves as a great lubricant and reduces pigementation.
Some Cosmetic Remedies to Keep Your Lips Healthy and Beautiful
• Do make a habit of applying sunscreen lotion on your lips so that UV rays do not harm your lips and keeps them healthy.
• Applying a hydroquinone (it’s a skin lightener) contained cream on the lips reduces pigmentation.
• Lip balm comes as a great rescue to heal dry and chapped lips. Carry a good quality lip balm always and apply it several times during the day.
• Lip Gloss not only moisturizes your lips but also makes it appear beautiful.
• Always remove your lipstick with a good cleanser before going off to bed.
• Do exfoliate your lips at times because it helps in removing the dead skin and leaves it soft and healthy.
• If you use lipsticks regularly then apply lipsticks containing Vitamin E because it prevents your skin from drying.
• Prevent drying of lips use lip balm before this situation arrives.
• Kojic acid, which is a mushroom extraction, helps in reducing lip pigmentation. Use lip products containing Koijic acid.
• Topical retinoid contained creams and balms are also used to reduce lip pigmentation.
• A laser treatment is the current “in” treatment for pigmentation.
• Cosmetics and prolonged abuse of cosmetics also causes lip pigmentation, hence use quality make up.