Yoga for Glowing Skin
We being Indians, mostly suffer from the WSS (white skin syndrome). We crave for a fair complexion all our lives. And for that we go all the way from buying imported creams to applying ubtans and what not. Yes, we al have done these things at some point in our lives 😛
However, there’s nothing wrong about it, but we tend to forget the importance of ‘glowing’ skin. Complexion would make no difference without that gorgeous glow.
I have been practicing yoga for over three years now. I suffered from a few skin problems earlier and also had highly sensitive skin, which made it even more difficult for me to apply any concoctions. My instructor made me practice a few asanas and pranayam and assured me that I would notice a visible change in my skin. At that time, I did not believe it completely but I followed her instructions properly. Within six months, my skin started to behave itself – the acne was vanishing, the oiliness was slightly reduced and my cheeks had a subtle, rosy colour. I was showered with compliments which made me stick to my yoga routine all the more strictly.
The glow that I am talking about, however, comes along in due course of time. You would definitely start seeing changes that you thought could never happen within a few months time but for consistent results you’d have to put in consistent efforts as well. The most important advantage of yoga is that once you make it a part of your routine, even if it is half an hour, these changes become a part of your body. Being a make up and beauty addict myself, I used to fall prey to the whitening and brightening products too but it was only after some rigorous months of practicing yoga that I realized how foolish I have been.
Here are some asanas that shall help you change your skin forever :
1. Kapalbhati Kriya
– Sit in any comfortable posture
– Keep your back & neck straight
– Exhale forcefully through your nostrils and while exhaling, pull your abdomen in forcefully
– Inhale normally
– Repeat this kriya for 5 to 10 minutes
– This kriya is also helpful in shedding excess weight around the stomach
2. Varun Mudra
– This can be performed anywhere
– Join the tip of your little finger with the tip of your thumb
– Ensure that the other fingers are straight
– The nails should not be pressurized as it may lead to dryness in skin
– This mudra purifies the blood which in turn makes the skin better
– It also prevents dehydration
– Lie on your belly with your hands along side your torso with palms up
– Exhale and bend your knees bringing them as close to your buttocks as possible
– Reach back with your hands and grab your ankles (not your toes)
– The gap between your knees should not be more than the width of your hips
– Inhale and lift your heels away from your buttocks.Also, lift your thighs off the floor
– In effect, your upper torso and head would be lifted off the floor
– Try lifting your heels & thighs higher and press your shoulder blades firmly against your back
– With your belly pressed against the floor, make sure to keep breathing normally
– Hold this pose for about 20 seconds or till you are comfortable
4. Shitli Kumbhak Pranayam
– Fold your tongue so that it protrudes slightly from your mouth
– Inhale through the mouth
– Close your mouth and hold the air in your stomach for a few seconds
– Exhale through the nose
– This pranayam improves blood circulation and hence, improves skin. Also, it delays the appearance of wrinkles.
These asanas are easy to perform and are not very time-consuming. You should try and make it a part of your routine to see the desired results.
Remember, yoga works slowly but surely. If you are patient and consistent, you can certainly improve your skin without chemicals or harmful substances.
Well, the only thumb rule is to keep stress at bay and be happy!
Wishing all IMBBians be blessed with glowing skin
Yoga Exercises During Pregnancy
8 Benefits of Yoga
4 Yoga Asanas to Lose Weight
10 Tips for Glowing Skin from Kitchen Shelf
Glowing Skin Home Remedies
How to Make Skin Glow
Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)