We often look for paraben-free skincare and makeup products, but we are probably overlooking an ingredient which can irritate and cause inflammation in not only sensitive skin, but on all skin types, although other skin types may feel the pinch a little later – we are talking about “added fragrance/perfume.” We do not actually mind those nice feel-good fragrances that are added to ingredients list of products to increase their appeal parfum/fragrance. Both in its synthetic and natural form (essential oils), can potentially irritate and disrupt the delicate pH balance of your skin. One should make a conscious effort to try and find fragrance-free products because fragrance in sunscreens can cause stinging and itching on sensitive skin immediately. We set out to find fragrance-free sunscreens and had an extremely hard time trying to dig those without any scent, and surprisingly, there are only a handful out there. In this post, we list down the 10 Best Fragrance Free Sunscreens in India for all skin types.
Why Fragrance in Skincare is Bad for your Skin?
It’s beyond comprehension for a lot of us how a strong orange fragrance in our favorite skin cream which claims to have the amazing benefits of vitamin C can be bad for the skin! Just like parabens, phthalates, and sulfates – “fragrance,” which is often added by skincare brands to increase the appeal of their products or to mask the unpleasant smell of active ingredients, is usually extracted from synthetic chemicals, and can irritate skin, penetrate into the skin and alter hormones, and may even cause cancer. We would like to add that even naturally extracted fragrances are not good for the skin, they might cause skin irritation on most skin types. Although you may not see immediate effects of fragrance on the skin, it is a major factor that contributes to a whole lot of skin issues that you may have. Essential oils, which have strong scents, are also not “okay” for your skin.
How to Detect “Added Fragrance” in Skincare Products?
Many cosmetic and skincare brands add “parfum” or fragrance to make their products appealing to the customers. However, most of the time, you may not be able to read “parfum” in the ingredients list, but here’s a list that would help you to weed out fragrance from your skincare products.
10. Added essential oils.
Side Effects of Added Fragrance in Sunscreens:
1. May cause stinging and burning sensation.
2. May irritate the skin.
3. May cause rashes and redness.
What is a Sunscreen?
A sunscreen is a skincare product that should be given great importance in one’s skincare routine because it has compounds that when applied on the skin can absorb or reflect sun’s harmful rays to prevent damage to the skin. Without a good sunscreen, there’s a high risk of getting tan, sunburn, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, age spots, melasma, leathery skin, keratosis, and solar elastosis. UVB rays can cause sunburns whereas UVA rays are more dangerous because they can penetrate the lower layers of the skin and can trigger premature aging, hyperpigmentation, tanning, wrinkles, etc. Ideally, you should look for physical blockers like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which act as physical blockers and do not get absorbed into the skin.
Best Fragrance Free Sunscreens in India:
1. Suncros Tint Sunscreen SPF 50 Plus Gel: Price: INR 795. It claims to be free from chemical sunscreen agents with UVA, UVB, and visible light protection. It is also water resistant and there’s no added fragrance in the ingredients list.
2. Ranbaxy Bello Photostable Spf 40+ Sunscreen Emulgel: It comes with SPF 40+ and is water and sweat resistant, matches skin’s pH, and also non-comedogenic with PA+++ protection.
3. Clinique Super City Block Ultra Protection SPF 40: Clinique Super City Block Oil Free Daily Face Protector SPF 40: It is an oil-free sunscreen, absorbs quickly even though the texture is heavy. Gives a subtle healthy glow. Does not cause any breakouts. It is allergy tested and a fragrance-free sunscreen.
4. La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid: This is a much raved product all over the internet and also considered to be one of the best sunscreens globally. It is 100% hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, and tested on sensitive skin. It has a lightweight and non-greasy texture. It can be worn under makeup too.
5. Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry Touch Sunscreen SPF 50+ for Sensitive Skin: It’s a mineral-based physical sunscreen with zinc oxide and a gentle formula that provides broad-spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays.
6. Dr. Reddy’s Shadowz Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30: Shadowz has SPF 30 with UVA and UVB protection, is water resistant, and fragrance free formulation, suitable for all skin types. It does not leave a white cast.
7. Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defense Sunscreen SPF 30: A sheer physical sunscreen that delivers broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and has ingredients like astaxanthin, grape juice, and sunflower shoot extract, to minimize the appearance of photoaging skin. It is non-irritating, non-sensitizing and totally free of fragrance and essential oils, suitable for all skin tones and types.
8. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen: It is one of the most popular sunscreens which is also mineral based and made without parabens, fragrances, or any other known irritants, also water-resistant.
9. Kaya Soothing Light Day Moisturizer with SPF 25: It claims to be a soothing light day moisturizer with SPF 25 and also claims to be colour and fragrance free, hypoallergenic.
10. Banana Boat Ultra Defense Sheer Protect Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50: We are adding this high protection sunscreen to this list because we could not find any added fragrance in the entire ingredients list. It’s lightweight and hydrating on the skin., also water resistant, provides UVA/UVB protection.