When we think about weight loss, a lot of people tend to give more importance on “what not to eat” and tend to eliminate an entire food group. But here’s the biggest key to weight loss (and to sustain it) – give significance to what food stuff that you should be including to drop weight without compromising on your health. When we are eliminating processed food items that are high in sodium, transfat, refined sugar from the diet, we should be adding healthy stuff in their place to supply a steady amount of nutrition to nourish the body. Through a healthy diet, such as the ones on Rati Beauty, you would not only lose weight, but from eating the right kind of food, your skin would glow and hair would become healthy. For a majority of Indians, certain food items like avocado, kale, broccoli are either not accessible or affordable and that’s why in this post, we have decided to put together 30 healthy Indian food that you should be eating regularly for weight loss and all of these are affordable (that’s why Rati Beauty diet programs include them extensively in our recipes). Please do remember an effective dieting is eating the right kind of food in a balanced proportion, not starving or crash dieting. Here’s why:
Why Crash Dieting is not okay?
First things first, the results achieved through crash diet are short term and you would eventually gain back all weight loss once you come out of crash dieting (that is if you manage to lose any weight). Secondly, severe calorie restriction can effect the smooth running of body functions. Third, when you cut out sources of nutrients from your daily diet, it will lead to hair fall, dry skin, hyperpigmentation, dark spots and you would end up looking malnourished and weak rather than fit. Crash dieting will leave you with little or absolutely no energy to do workouts or exercise, so there you go – multiple reasons why you should not try crash diet.
Essential Nutrients that Body Needs to Sustain Weight Loss:
3. Vitamin D
5. Vitamin B
30 Healthy Food that you should Be Eating Regularly For Weight Loss:
1. Eggs: Do we even need to go into details about the amazing benefits of eggs? In one egg, there are just about 75 calories with up to 7 gm of protein, 5 gm of fat, 1.6 gm of fat and a host of other minerals, vitamins, lutein, carotenoids, etc. If you are eating just two eggs each day, don’t skip on the egg yolk, they pack the most punch.
2. Amaranth/Rajgira: It’s a gluten-free grain that is rich in protein, calcium, antioxidants and minerals. It’s an easy-to-digest grain that also keeps your appetite in check.
3. Flaxseed/san ka bheej: It’s a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, B vitamins, iron, potassium, and minerals. It is great for the digestive system and lowers cholesterol level. It also boosts metabolism and helps manage weight.
4. Foxtail Millet: Also known as kangni in hindi and korralu down south, it is hugely popular among people who want to lose weight as well as control their blood sugar levels. It is also considered as the best replacement for rice. It is rich in fiber, low in carbs, with minerals such as copper and iron. Calories per 100 gm – 473 kcal.
5. Beans: Extremely low in calories, they add a lot of protein, iron and mineral content to the diet.
6. Lentils: Indian lentils like kidney beans, black beans, masoor dal, moong dal, toor dal are all high in protein and iron content. A cup of cooked dal help boost metabolism, controls diabetes, helps in optimal brain functioning, aids in weight management, and helps maintain optimal blood pressure
7. Rolled oats: Rolled oats are different than normal oats in the way that they are steamed and flattened out. Rolled oats is good for everyone including for people who are trying to shed some weight, want to manage sugar levels, and lower risk of heart disease. Rolled oats is rich in nutrients and antioxidants and there is no reason not to include it into your diet.
8. Apple: Apples are rich in fiber. Studies have shown that eating apples whether it’s daytime or night will help you lose weight.
9. Capsicum: The best thing about capsicum is that it is extremely low in calories and capsicum contain a compound that is known to boost metabolism as well as reduce appetite
10. Ragi: A rich source of antioxidants, protein, calcium, this grain is absolutely great to lower risk of coronary artery disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure
11. Brown rice: A rich source of antioxidants, protein, calcium, this grain is absolutely great to lower risk of coronary artery disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure
12. Quinoa or bathua: Quinoa is the most preferred grain among people on a strict diet and trying to lose weight. It is rich in vitamin B, E, protein, fiber, as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, and selenium. It also has antioxidants and boosts metabolism, also has low glycemic index.
13. Chickpeas: : Chickpeas or chole with their high protein, fiber, and complex carbohydrates give your body a lot of nutrition. What’s more, they keep you full for longer so that you do not reach out for snacks often. Chickpeas are also cholesterol free, good source of vitamin B6, and folate along with micronutrients like potassium, calcium, and selenium. In one cup of chickpeas (125 gm), you get around 210 calories, fat 3.8 gm, complex carbs 35 gm, fiber 9.6, and protein of 10.7 gm. All this nutrition makes it a wholesome food, so don’t forget to include chickpeas quite a few times during the week.
14. Cauliflower: Cauliflower is extremely low in calories, less than 25. You can grate up cauliflower and replace it to make healthy cauliflower pulao
15. Tomatoes: They not only add ample flavour to your curries, tomatoes are loaded with vitamin C, antioxidants, and lycopene along with providing ample protein content.
16. Spinach: A cup of spinach at dinner is the healthiest way to lose weight quickly. Saute a few garlic pods in 1 tbsp of olive oil and add a cup of spinach.
17. Leafy green vegetables: All leafy green vegetables are high in iron and essential nutrients. Rich in vitamins and minerals are also extensively found in all leafy greens. Also, they are incredibly filling, so you won’t feel hungry for a long, long time.
18. Cottage Cheese/Paneer: Paneer is the best protein option for vegetarians who cannot consume fish or meat sources. Derived from milk, it is rich in casein protein, which keeps you full overnight and aids in repairing muscles while you get your sleep. Not only this, it also contains the sleep-inducing tryptophan to help you fall asleep.
19. Banana: Bananas have tryptophan in them, they help you sleep better and will keep you full for longer.
20. Walnuts/peanuts: Peanuts are a rich source of healthy fat and so are walnuts. In fact, apple with peanut butter is a great snacking option, extremely delicious, and you would end up with a happy palate and tummy.
21. Almonds: Consuming just 5 soaked almonds each day in the morning would provide you with a good amount of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron, and protein. It is considered immensely good for brain health
22. Makhana: Makhana is a healthy snack. Makhana or puffed up lotus seeds, are low in calories and are a good source of protein. Makhanas are also rich in iron and you can dry roast them without any oil with a sprinkling of pepper powder to help with weight loss.
23. Fatty fish: Fish and seafood provide you protein, iodine and healthy fats. The combination ensures three-fold action on your body. Proteins aid in building processes of the body, iodine enhances thyroid function which actually controls many metabolic processes and Omega-3 fats help reduce inflammation.
24. Ghee: Clarified butter or ghee is gaining huge popularity the world over because of the amazing benefits it provides to the human body including increasing immunity, keeping digestive system on track, cleansing the liver. It is also a great food item if you want to lose weight because it boosts metabolism up to a great degree. Just two tsp each day is just about enough to reap all benefits that it claims
25. Coconut oil: Coconut oil can not only curb appetite, it can actually help burn fat and that’s because coconut oil is largely made of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which boost up energy levels and kickstart sluggish metabolism so that your body is actively burning fat through the day.
26. Strawberries: Coconut oil can not only curb appetite, it can actually help burn fat and that’s because coconut oil is largely made of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) which boost up energy levels and kickstart sluggish metabolism so that your body is actively burning fat through the day.
27. Sattu: We believe sattu or roasted gram flour has not received enough appreciation from health experts. It’s also called “poor man’s protein” in India because it is highly rich in protein and acts as a coolant too. It boosts metabolism and energy to the body without adding lots of calories.
28. Bajra: It is all over India due to its rich iron and protein content. It’s also gluten free along with being rich in magnesium, calcium
29. Jowar: Jowar helps prevent diabetes and cancer. It also improve immunity. It has vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants as well. It releases carbhohydrates slowly during digestion and does not cause sharp spike in insulin levels.
30. Moong Dal: It is high in protein, fiber – the two components that aid with weight loss.