Henna or Lawsonia inermis is a hair color/dye that has been used since centuries by both men and women to cover white/grey hair or to just color their hair. People all over the world prefer to color their hair with henna than chemically-laden hair dyes because it has zero chemicals and is not harmful to the skin or hair in the long run. It’s a completely natural alternative to chemical-based hair dye. It not only adds a beautiful hue to hair, it can also make hair soft and shiny. It’s a completely natural way to get color and shine on your hair. It has zero chemicals, in fact henna powder has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. It is a completely safe and natural way to color and cover white hair. It is widely used in hair care products and as a colouring dye for hands and legs on auspicious occasions. When combined with indigo and other ingredients, you can get different hues of brown, burgundy and black in your hair. Come to think of it, there’s no need to do patch test or allergy test if you want to apply natural henna to color your hair. Also, you can choose to color your hair as many times as you want compared to chemical hair dyes. It is a semi-permanent hair dye, which means it will gradually fade away from your hair after a few washes. Here’s the list of 12 Best Henna Brands in India.
How Does Henna Work on Hair:
Hair is made of three layers. The outermost layer is called cuticle and has flat cells. The second layer is called cortex in which hair color is formed. There is another layer in the middle which is called medulla. Chemical-based dyes go past the outermost layer called cortex and disrupt them in the process. Henna, which is completely natural, on the contrary, adds a further protective layer while colouring hair and in the process nourishes and adds softness and shine to the hair.
Why To Choose Henna To Colour Hair:
- Henna has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties that keeps scalp and hair healthy.
- It can prevent and treat dandruff.
- It nourishes scalp when it is combined with other hair-friendly ingredients.
- It makes hair shiny and soft.
- Zero chemicals.
- Completely natural way to color hair.
- Aids in hair growth.
- Conditions hair.
- Repairs hair breakage.
- Adds a protective layer on the outermost layer of hair.
What Ingredients Can You Mix with Henna:
- Tea/coffee brew.
- Egg white (to add shine and lustre).
- Lemon juice (to get rid of dandruff).
- Hibiscus flower powder.
- Amla powder.
- Olive oil.
- Fenugreek seed paste.
Tips on Colouring Hair with Henna:
- To get maximum benefits and colour out of henna, soak it the previous night in lukewarm water, mix well without any clumps, to a smooth batter consistency.
- Always use gloves when applying and washing it off. Your skin will shed the colour soon but your nails will not do so easily.
- Wrap yourself in an old towel before applying.
- Apply Vaseline or any other petroleum jelly along your hairline and at the back of the neck, to prevent red/orange patches on your skin.
- It’s best to soak henna overnight in an iron (not steel) utensil. It forms a blackish pigment with iron which covers grey efficiently. It’s okay to use plastic and glass bowls too.
- You can replace water with curd in the henna paste to make your hair softer.
- The soaked paste should be the consistency of a mousse.
- Shampoo hair before applying henna, preferably the day before. Do not use conditioner. It won’t sit properly on the hair if you apply conditioner. It’s also okay to apply henna on towel dried, semi-wet hair. Application is easier and more even in this case.
- Always apply henna section wise with a brush or fingertips. Make eight sections of your hair, four on top of the head and four at the back. This way you won’t miss any white hair.
- Roll in the sections and pin them on the head. You can use sectioning clips or clutches.Pull on a shower cap to prevent dripping.
- Leave henna on the hair for anywhere between 40 minutes to 3 hours. Even one hour, two hours is okay.
- Rinse off henna completely from your hair. If there is any residual henna, it can cause dryness and roughness.
- Wash until the water runs clear through the hair. And then wash some more. And some more.
- Always use a conditioner after you wash off henna. Not only does a conditioner seal in the color, it also cancels out the smell. You can also give a final rinse of half a lemon squeezed into a mug of water. Takes care of odour as well as adds shine.
- Try and avoid using a blow dryer on the same day. Towel dry or if you have to use a hair dryer; use the low heat setting.
- Don’t wash your hair for at least 2 days after you have applied henna. Don’t hesitate to go to a professional if you are not comfortable applying it yourself. Never use anything that says ‘Henna based hair colour’ or Henna powder that comes in more than one shade.
- Nothing is henna except for the herb “Lawsonia inermis.” That should be the only ingredient in your packaging, check the ingredients list before you purchase.
12 Best Henna brands in India:
1. Godrej Nupur Henna:This is the most popular henna brand in India. Apart from henna, it has a lot of natural ingredients like brahmi, shikakai, aloe vera, methi, amla, hibiscus, jatamansi, etc. It adds nice color to the hair, covers grey hair, and also nourishes hair.
Along with henna leaves, this powder has musk root, Indian Gooseberry, Margosa, and Shikakai, enriched with natural proteins and vitamin C and E. It adds nice colour, conditions hair, and the price is reasonable.
3. Biotique Bio Heena Fresh Powder Hair Color For Dark Hair:
This traditional, fresh ground powder is a natural blend of heena leaves, mango kernel and the bark of arjun tree. This powder adds a rich brown color and shine to the hair.
4. Kama Ayurveda Organic Henna Powder:
This is 100% natural, gives a brownish orange color to hair.
5. Richfeel Heena:
Makes hair smooth and silky. Improves the texture of hair making it shiny. Does not alter the natural color of the hair. When used with a conditioning agent, it does not make the hair frizzy as hennas generally do.
6. Shahnaz Husain’s Henna Precious Herb:
Pure henna leaves with a few herbal ingredients, adds a nice color to the hair, conditions and nourishes it as well.
7. Khadi Natural Herbal Natural Henna: The brand claims to provide a golden tint to your hair. It adds a healthy and bouncy texture to hair, makes hair soft and smooth. Adds a reddish tint to the hair, can be mixed with other hair-friendly ingredients.
8. Nature’s Essence Henna Powder:
Makes hair shiny and smooth. Free from ammonia and peroxides. Contains herbal ingredients, covers grey hair.
9. Habib’s Henna:
Covers up grey hair, makes hair shiny and smooth. Works well as a hair pack too.
10. Banjara’s Natural Henna:
Makes hair shiny and smooth. Makes hair straight, less frizzy, covers grey hair.
11. Ayur Henna:
Adds a nice tint to hair, covers grey hair, makes hair soft and smooth.
12. Patanjali Herbal Mehandi:
Completely herbal, has hair-friendly ingredients, conditions and colors hair well.