It’s no secret that when regular exercise and a healthy diet are combined, the weight loss process is smooth and the extra pounds are easy to shed. Talking about a healthy diet, it’s a great idea to include berries into a weight loss diet since they are low in calories, naturally sweet, packed with nutrients and vitamins, and what’s more, are delicious to the taste buds! There are a lot of food categories that aid in healthy weight loss and “berries” are right there at the top of that list. Berries come loaded with antioxidants and can satisfy your sweet tooth without adding too many calories. What’s the best you ask, most berries help you reach your recommended daily intake of nutrients and are rich in flavonoids (a compound that is found commonly in strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries), which make you less prone to gain weight. Berries are low in fat content and help cut down a lot of calories from your daily diet. But the key lies in what kind of berries you should be including and the correct way to use them, so that you can reach your weight loss soon without compromising on nutrition values. In this post, we will tell you how low calorie berries can help you shed weight:
8 Berries that Can Help with Weight Loss:
1. Strawberries: Strawberries in particular have been shown to reduce blood sugar and insulin levels after meals. weight control because insulin shuttles excess sugar into fat cells. 53 calories. strawberries can add zip to hot or cold cereal, jazz up a salad or add substance to low-fat parfaits. And don’t let those ripe strawberries go to waste; they’re perfect for smoothies and fruit drinks. strawberries blocks the activity of an enzyme responsible for breaking starch into simple sugar, which means fewer simple sugars are released into the blood stream, lowering the blood sugar and the corresponding insulin response.
2. Acai berries: Though acai berries are not fat burners, they help to suppress appetite. They help lower cholesterol, boost metabolism, promote weight loss, have anti-ageing properties, and help to clear up skin as well. These berries are low in calories but high on nutrients. Just like all other berries, acai is rich in antioxidants and is a common ingredient in weight loss supplements.
3. Goji berries: Goji berries are quite popular in skin brightening ointments and treatments. They are low on fat content, high on antioxidants, help to improve sleep and lower stress levels. In one cup servings, there are just 58 calories. They also help regulate blood pressure and sugar levels in the body.
4. Raspberries: Raspberries are probably the most popular ones in weight loss circles and that’s because studies have shown that they contain a substance called “ketones,” which help to burn fat, suppress appetite, and help to decrease overall body fat and visceral fat. Raspberries have high fiber ratio, with at least 8 fiber content in 15 grams of carbohydrates per cup.
5. Cranberries: Both raw and dry cranberries are rich in antioxidants, cholesterol free, and are a good source of fiber. Cranberries stimulate digestion, aid in weight loss, and also make bones stronger. Cranberries also have anti-ageing benefits and boost immune system.
6. Blueberries: You might have seen blueberries in a lot of Rati Beauty diet videos and that’s because blueberries are loaded with antioxidants, with considerable fiber ratio. They also keep you full for hours, preventing you from reaching out for unhealthy snacks in between your meals. Blueberries also lower blood sugar and help to breakdown belly fat. They also help lower cholesterol and regulate sugar and insulin levels in the body effectively.
7. Blackberries: Blackberries contain up to 85% water content and a good source of antioxidants, folate, fiber and other nutrients. They are also high in vitamin C, A, and B vitamins. You can also find calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc. They also have a compound called ellagic acid which has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
How Berries Help with Weight Loss:
1. Berries are Low in Calories: They completely fit into a low-carb diet. Compared to a banana which has around 100 calories and up to 20 gm of carbohydrates, 100 gm of strawberries have just 30 calories and extremely low carb content. The same goes for all other berries.
2. You do not need to add extra sugar when you have berries in your dishes such as Greek yogurt which can be made with fresh strawberries and also rolled oats in which you can add blueberries. They taste so delicious and sweet and you wouldn’t miss any added sugar at all.
3. All berries have little to no fat content, and that means no need to worry about cholesterol.
4. Berries are packed with nutrition – vitamins like A, B, C are commonly found in berries and also minerals like potassium, zinc.
5. Rich in antioxidants – especially anthocyanins which are powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants protect body cells by neutralizing free radicals. Studies, including research done at University of Florida, have found that people who consume more antioxidants weigh less, another reason for you to go high up antioxidants.
6. Berries improve blood sugar levels, do not cause sharp spike in insulin levels. Increase in blood sugar level causes insulin to be released which in turn leads to storage of fat in adipose tissue.
7. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc., are low in sugar content.
8. They help boost metabolism and help you burn more calories effectively.
9. Help reduce belly fat and waist circumference
10. High on fiber content, and as you know, fibre is a key factor in controlling weight and reducing belly fat. Foods high in fibre increase satiety, meaning keep you fuller longer, and reduce appetite. Here’s something you would find interesting – for every gram of fiber we eat, we can get rid of seven calories. Fiber also cause blood sugar to rise slightly and slowly. Naturally sweet strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are packed with pectin, a type of soluble fiber that give you a feeling of fullness. It also has the potential to help lower cholesterol and improve insulin resistance.
11. Additionally, they help improve bone density.
12. Helps with clearing up skin, providing the benefits of vitamin C, antioxidant boost.
13. Reduces the chance of infection.
14. Reduces risk of cardiovsacular disease and diabetes.
15. Berries are rich in vitamin C.
16. Lowers inflammation in the body.
17. All berries boost immunity – a good immunity is key to losing weight.
18. Reduce cholesterol, also minimize triglyceride levels.
19. Helps with breakdown of fat – as mentioned above, ketones, a compound in raspberries, is thought to speed up the metabolism and aid in the breakdown of fat.
20. Protect you from premature ageing: Berries are rich sources of antioxidants that protect cells from damage and from premature ageing.
Ways to Include Berries in Diet:
As you all know, Rati Beauty diet uses berries in delicious and healthy ways so that the antioxidants, vitamins, and other nutrients are not lost in the process. Additionally, here are some ways in which you can use berries:
1. Overnight rolled oats.
2. Greek yogurt.
3. Oats cookies.
4. Banana bread, other baked items.
6. Morning smoothies.
7. Homemade chocolates
Hope you found this post on berries interesting and would incorporate them in your diet to reap amazing benefits.