Many of us have specific problem areas where fat is accumulated more than in other parts of the body. One of these is back fat, which tends to look unattractive when we wear low cut saari blouses, salwar kameezes or even western formal dresses. Nor is it pleasant to have bulges show through tight t-shirts and figure-hugging tops. If you have this problem, you need to specifically focus on reducing fat from the back and toning back muscles.
1. Hide your back fat
Resist the temptation to reach out for the tight spandex tee or clothes that hug your form. Tight stretchable fabrics tend to cling to the body, making fat rolls more obvious. Losser fitting clothes are a much better option while you work towards shedding the fat.
2. Choose the Right Bra
If you wear a bra that’s too tight, the bulges on your back around the straps and band will appear enormous. Find your perfect size with measurement guides or get fitted professionally. Look for something with a stretchable band material rather than a tight cotton band that creates extra bulges. Wear a bra that sits straight across your back snugly at the outermost hook without riding up or down. You could also cover up with a slip, camisole, or evena sports bra (over your regular bra) as a buffer to smooth out the back surface between your skin and your clothes.
3. Good Posture
A correct posture not only makes you look slimmer, but also helps you carry off the clothes you wear in a better way. Stand or sit with your back upright so that your clothes are smooth across your body. If you slump over, the bulges are more obvious and the hanging flab is visible. Don’t slouch, and don’t curve your back.
4. Daily Diet
Eat carbs in the form of whole grains after workouts. Include a portion each of lean proteins, fruits and veggies in every meal. Don’t skip breakfast. Replace whole milk with skim, and omit refined carbs. Include a healthy dose of essential fats in the form of nuts, olive oil, flaxseeds. Drink 8-12 glasses of water everyday.
5. Specific Nutrients
B-complex helps in fat metabolism as does fish oil. Be sure to include these in your daily diet plan. Chromium and alpha lipoic acid are names you could look for in over the counter nutritional supplements. Ayurveda has several formulations for boosting body metabolism and burning fat effectively
6. Special Back Exercises
Do cardio for 20 to 30 minutes four times a week. Weight training is important to reduce fat from a particular spot.
• Deadlifts: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Hold 2.5-3.5 kg dumbbells in each hand. Bend knees slightly and keep your dumbells at thighs, with your palms turned inwards. Lower your torso from the hip, keeping your abs tight. Keeping dumbbells close to the body, go down and reach ankle height, but do not touch the ground. With your back straight, rise up slowly to standing position.
• Back Extensions: Lie flat on your stomach and clasp your hands behind your back. Slowly lift chest off the ground. Hold position for some seconds and return to starting position. Do 15 reps.
• Opposite arm and leg lifts: Lie flat on your stomach on an exercise mat, with forehead touching straight down or to the side. Gradually lift the right arm and left leg off the floor, keeping the pelvis and chest on the floor. Hold for a few seconds, and lower. Repeat with your left arm and right leg. Start with 5 reps on each side, then work up to more reps in 3 sets as you get comfortable.
• Reverse Fly: Sit on a bench or a chair, holding 2.5-3.5 kg dumbells in your hands. Bend forward from the hips, tucking in your chin to the chest and flattening your back to a straight line. Starting with your hands at the calves, gradually lift them up alongside your body, bending elbows till the shoulder blades are squeezed close. Pause for a few seconds. Lower your arms slowly. Begin with 10 reps and work up to 3 sets.
• Pushups: These are a great way to tone back muscles. Keep your arms directly underneath the shoulders and your body extended. Do not lower or lift the head, keep it firm.
• Planks: They are the same as pushups, except that your forearms are flat against the floor instead of your palms. Your lift yourself up in a straight line with the toes in the same position as in pushups. Keep elbows bent and directly underneath shoulders.
• If you go to the gym, you can use cables to burn off back fat:
Sit down in front of the cables, which should be at your waist level. Pull the cables with both hands, leaning forward a little as you extend your arms before you. Pull cables back so that elbows bend behind you. Repeat.
Seated High Row:
This is the same motion, except from a higher height, rather than waist level. The cables should be at a level higher than your head, and you should have to lean slightly forward to contract the cable.
Straight Back Row:
Here the difference is that you have to hold your back firm in place instead of leaning forward. Only arms should move forward and backwards while pulling the cable.