I know I had disappeared totally; but well, I was busy settling in with my new partner and my new life! Anyway, here I am back with a bang 😛 in a literal way (I just got a new haircut with bangs *lol* ) Jokes apart, I am very sorry for my disappearing act, and I promise to be right here for you guys.
So, summers are here and in Mumbai, it is very humid and hot these days. I really dislike this weather; it just makes my skin, hair and my mood all cranky. I’m writing this post due to my own experience and I’m sure all you guys out there will relate to it.
Since it’s summer time, washing hair is a necessity every other day. Now, I don’t know about you, but for me, it really messes up my hair. My hair gets dry and lifeless due to the frequent washing *cry* So now, I have a better way of washing my hair which makes them smooth and “likeable” again:-D.
You may do it practically every day, but do you really know how to wash your hair the right way? Using the correct techniques can make a world of difference in your hair’s health, bounce and shine. If you’re making some common mistakes, you could be damaging your strands without even knowing it.
So here are a few tips that will stay with you and help you have a good hair day everyday 🙂
1. Start by rinsing your hair with plain warm water. Just like you first wet your clothes before washing them, your hair also should be thoroughly wet before you add your shampoo. Hot water will remove the dirt from your scalp as it will open up your hair cuticles.
2. If you have long hair, condition it first. Yes, really! I am not kidding. If you have long hair, it is important to protect fragile ends from drying out. Run a small amount of conditioner through them and rinse lightly. This will not only keep your ends healthy, but also boost shine as it will moisturize your hair cuticles.
3. Lather up — but only at the scalp. The best way to lather up is from roots to ends. The hair closest to the scalp is the youngest and will inevitably be the oiliest. Also, don’t use more shampoo than you need.
4. Be gentle 🙂 If you are not gentle to your hair, it can permanently damage your hair cuticle, leading to breakage and frizziness. Don’t use circular motions, it can tangle your hair, then smooth the lather over the ends in a straight stroking motion, do not rub it too harsh or else it will make your ends very dry and scanty.
5. Don’t rinse and repeat; of course unless you have oiled your hair. There’s no need to wash twice if you have not oiled your hair. The steps mentioned above will ensure that the dirt and grime has been removed and your hair is fresh !
6. Add conditioner from the mid-lengths to the tips. Remove excess water from your hair, and apply conditioner starting from middle, working your way towards the end. Now clip your hair up and finish showering, the more you keep the conditioner the more your hair will absorb the moisture.
7. Finish with a cold water rinse. This I am sure we all know, cold water will shut the cuticle and impart natural shine to your hair.
- “Volumizing” shampoos tend to leave hair drier, so they’re best for fine hair types.
- If you have oily or fine hair, you may need to shampoo daily. Normal or dry hair can lather up closer to three times a week.
- Use a pure cotton cloth or an old T-shirt to wrap your hair in, this will avoid breakage and frizz.
- Sleep on a pure silk pillow cover, to get up with well-behaved frizz-free hair! The friction does the job here 😀
Hope you will keep these points in mind while washing your hair next! See you soon!
Image sources: 1, 2
The Correct Ways to Get Healthy and Shiny Hair
Right Way to Use Eye Creams
Right Way to Wash Your Face
How to Wash Hair
Common Hair Wash Mistakes
Patanjali Coconut Hair Wash
7 Homemade Remedies for Hair Split Ends
20 Best Homemade Hair Packs
Nourishing Egg and Vinegar Hair Mask
Hibiscus for Hair Care