Split ends is a common hair problem faced by many of us. Hair tends to spilt when the hair shaft loses its natural moisture. Following are the various reasons for hair split ends:
1. Hair styling tools like Blow dryers, Curling irons. Straightening irons operate at high temperature when used on the hair. This high temperature results in loss of moisture content in the hair. It is best to minimize the use of these tools. If used then at lower temperatures so as to minimize moisture loss.
2. Hair coloring products, and strong shampoos also result in hair moisture loss. No matter how herbal hair coloring products or shampoos are proclaimed to be, they still contain chemicals in some form or the other. The only natural hair coloring product known so far is henna – which again doesn’t suit everyone. All other colors obtained for hair color is due to some chemical composition. For shampoos, chemicals are added either to add fragrance or some smoothening agent to get rid of frizziness.
READ THESE FOR WEIGHT LOSS: Diet Chart for Weight Loss | How to Lose Weight With PCOS | 10 Best Herbal Pills for Weight Loss | 10 Best Tricks for Lazy People to Lose Weight | Best Diet for PCOS to Lose Weight
Since everyone has different hair types and a particular hair product reacts differently on different people you never know what is the problem causing ingredient in your hair color or shampoo which can result in moisture loss.
3. Pollution also results in moisture loss.
Though there is no cure for split ends apart from getting your hair trimmed at regular intervals there are many ways to prevent them.
READ THESE FOR GLOWING SKIN: 9 Best Face Packs For Glowing Skin | 10 Tips by Shahnaz Husain for Glowing Skin | Home Remedies For Glowing Skin | 7 Besan Face Packs for Glowing Skin | Beauty Products For Glowing Skin
As hair grows from the roots, we constantly give attention to the roots and the hair ends are left ignored. They require attention as well.
These are a few home-made remedies for spilt end prevention. These remedies will not get rid of already existing split ends but they will surely prevent hair from splitting.
I have tried all of these myself and they work great. The best thing I like about these remedies is that all the materials used are available in your home and they don’t take much time. Many of these remedies you might already have known or tried or read somewhere, since they worked for me, I might as well share them with you.
BEST OF IMBB: How To Make Vitamin C Serum At Home | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India | 8 Natural Products to Add Volume to Thin, Fine Hair | 8 Ways to Tighten Sagging Breasts | How to Remove Pimple Marks from Face | Top 10 Shampoos for Dry and Rough Hair | 8 Best Drugstore Foundations That Do Not Oxidize
These are a few you would like to try out and find out which one suits you.
- Mix a small amount of castor oil/ olive oil / almond oil (whatever available) into the oil you regularly use (I use coconut oil). I generally add 2tbsps of castor oil to my coconut oil bottle (250 ml). If you wish to add all three of them you could do that as well. Mix equal proportions of these oils (1 teaspoon each) to the regular oil you use. Make sure you oil your hair-ends well. Generally hair ends that have split appear lightly colored than the rest of the hair. This mixture not only helps your hair grow but it prevents your hair ends from discoloring. Use this mixture to oil your hair atleast twice a week. Massage your hair & scalp with warm oil and wrap head with shower cap and leave for overnight or for 8-10 hours if you have time. Wash.
- Alternatively, take ½ cup oil in ½ cup boiling water in a bottle and close it tightly. Shake vigorously. Massage this mixture thoroughly into your hair from root to tip and cover with shower cap. Leave for ½ hour, then wash. Just be careful with your hands and head as the water is hot.
- Make a pack by beating 1 egg yolk in a mixture of 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp honey. Massage on hair in thoroughly and then wrap head with shower cap for half an hour. Wash.
- A papaya pack is a great natural care of hair split ends. Take 2 big slices (2 small/medium slices) of ripe papaya. Remove the skin and the seeds of the ripe papaya and blend it in a blender. Add to it half a cup of yogurt and apply thoroughly to your scalp and hair. Wash after 30 minutes with warm water. If you don’t have papaya you can used a ripe banana instead.1 ripe banana would do.
- Grind 1Tbsp of methi (fenugreek) seeds with half a cup of urad dal to a coarse powder. Add half a cup of yogurt and mix well. Apply generously all over the scalp. Apply thoroughly to your scalp and hair. Wash after 2-3 hours with warm water.
- Take 4 cups warm water and add 1 tbsp of honey into it and mix well. After you are done with shampoo and conditioning and rinsing, apply this mixture all through your hair. Do not rinse again. This mixture not only makes your hair soft and gives a shine to them; it also retains the moisture content in your hair so that your hair does not look dry or frizzy. This is a home-made leave in serum/conditioner for your hair.
- You get many leave in creams/conditioners/serums in market these days like L’oreal Professional, Garnier, Pantene (though I haven’t tried any of these) which are quite pricey and moreover there is no surety whether that would work on the hair or not. But this one surely works and I don’t think there could be anything more economical than thisJ. I use this one regularly.
Always use lukewarm water to wash your hair. Do not use hot water. Hot water depletes the moisture content of the hair.
Best of IMBB: Best Hair Serums for Dry Frizzy Hair | Homemade Hair Regrowth Oil to Prevent Hair Loss | How To Lose Fat From Face in 30 Days | Homemade Face Pack for Instantly Bright and Glowing Skin | 10 Products To Get Rid of Skin Pigmentation | 7 Ways To Make Black Lips Pink!
It is always better to keep the split ends trimmed; otherwise, they may split further up the hair.
I hope you find these remedies useful. If you have any other remedy that I have missed out please share them as well.
BEST OF FAIRNESS: 10 Best Skin Whitening Creams in India | 7 Homemade Face Packs for Instant Glow and Fairness | 6 Best Herbal Fairness Creams | 10 Best Fairness Packs in the Market | 7 Best Pigmentation Creams in India
SOLUTIONS FOR ACNE: 5 Remedies to Treat Acne at Home | Top 10 Creams for Fading Acne Scars | 10 Home Remedies to Treat Scalp Acne | 8 Home Remedies to Reduce Acne Scars | 10 Tea Tree Oil Products for Acne-Prone and Sensitive Skin | Home Remedies to Treat Hormonal Acne