WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
I have oily/combination skin which is extremely prone to tanning. Unfortunately, my skin also reacts very badly to a lot of sunscreens which are heavy and thus, potentially pore clogging! Lakme was the first one I bought – I remember being damn impressed by its TPI (tan protection index!). However, with time I found it making my face too greasy so for several years I skipped sunscreen altogether. It is only on a friend’s recommendation in the last year of school that I bought and started using Garnier Sun Control moisturizer (Rs. 145). What it claims:
- SPF 15 with both UVA and UVB protection
- Helps prevent skin darkening and premature ageing.
- Dermatologically tested.
- Formula with Meroxyl SX, a revolutionary patented molecule, to give protection from the sun’s UV rays.
- Vitamin E to help protect against free radicals and help delay the signs of ageing.
- Glycerol and coriander to retain the skin’s moisture.
I used this one until about a year back (about 3 years) and my mom still swears by it! :))
What I like about Garnier Sun Control Moisturizer:
- It isn’t a thick lotion – it is more on the watery side so it spreads easily. This makes it a great everyday moisturiser.
- It has a nice fragrance – people with sensitive noses may find it cloying but I like it!
- It promises a broad spectrum protection – something that one should always look out for in a sunscreen.
- If used in the right quantity, it did not leave a whitish cast.
- It made my face greasy. Sweaty, oily skin is not my favourite look, you know? But at the time, I had no other alternative so I kept using it. However this would be perfect for people with skin on the drier side.
- Only SPF 15?! I would use atleast SPF 30 what with the scorching heat and the effects of global warming and the like.
- No detailed ingredient list.
- You have to be careful not to apply too much or you’ll look ghastly white. Yuck!
- It seems Meroxyl SX is water soluble (I found this on wikipedia) so its not great for those of you who go swimming in the summer.
- I still tanned despite regular use, it’s just that I tanned a bit less. So much for reducing skin darkening. My mom doesn’t tan easily so this suits her daily needs.
Would I repurchase? Nope. But it is not like this sunscreen is completely useless. If you’re not prone to tanning and want something light for your everyday sunscreen needs, you could check this out!
My rating – :star: :star: :star:
For those of you with skin on the oilier side who want heavy duty protection from both UVA and UVB rays, the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50 (Rs.150 for 30 ml) may be a better option. What it claims:
- SPF 50.
- Helioplex technology to stabilise the sunscreen which provides broad spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Oil free.
- Waterproof and sweat proof.
- Dermatologically tested and non comodgenic.
- Ultra light, non shiny finish.
- Gentle enough even for sensitive skin.
All these fancy claims are mentioned on the tube but the ingredients are absent. I’ve been using this one everyday for the past 6 months or so. What I like about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50:
- Only a pea sized amount is needed for the face and neck.
- It doesn’t look white even if applied liberally.
- It has a very light fragrance – almost non-existent so people with sensitive noses will like that.
- The high SPF 50 – this is one of the main reasons I picked this up.
- I love that it is waterproof and more importantly, sweat proof. In this scorching heat, it sucks to think that out sunscreen is getting removed ‘cos of sweat!
- It feels very light on the skin.
- I tan much less ever since I started using this.
What I did not like about Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50:
- It has a cream like texture while I prefer a runny texture.
- It makes my face a bit shiny – not in a horrible, oily way but I still want a completely matte look.
- No detailed ingredient list.
- Not very moisturising – I doubt if this will suit dry skin.
Would I repurchase? Yup. While this is not my HG sunscreen, I still like the protection it offers and its light feel. My rating – :star: :star: :star: :star:
What sunscreen do you use?